Any audio guys?

bob345

so pretty much this thread is about showing off you sound system. So all of you who love music and great sound system's show us what you have! I'll start off with a few of my projects.

This is my latest project i have been working on. The speakers are the dayton audio tritrix speaker kit from parts-express and the amp is a dta-100a.

CIMG3546.jpg

and here are a pair of speakers i built a few years ago.

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

101_1681.jpg

Serious listening

speakers - marantz hd770

amp - jolida jd202 tube amp

DAC - xindak dac-5 tube dac

headphones - he-500

Amp - AMB M^3

casual/lazy listening/videos

DAC - Ibasso d4

speaker amp - lepai 20w

nice work on the speakers, part of me wants to build some, but I fear nothing I build will be as good as the marantz I have.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

101_1681.jpg

Serious listening

speakers - marantz hd770

amp - jolida jd202 tube amp

DAC - xindak dac-5 tube dac

headphones - he-500

Amp - AMB M^3

casual/lazy listening/videos

DAC - Ibasso d4

speaker amp - lepai 20w

nice work on the speakers, part of me wants to build some, but I fear nothing I build will be as good as the marantz I have.

Wow at the size of those speakers, and the distance they are from your face, please tell me you play at max volume haha

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Not the most ideal time for me to get photos as a mate and i have been laning Minecraft tonight and there's stuff in here everywhere but here's my setup.

Rega Brio-R amplifier

Rega DAC

Monitor Audio RX6 speakers

Music Hall MMF 2.2 turntable

Grado SR225i cans

Freds 12AU7 tube headphone amp

img2869rj.jpg

img2875ez.jpg

img2882ik.jpg

img2879c.jpg

img2880yh.jpg

img2877c.jpg

I want to be into audio, but I don't have the resources to give it any priority  -_- I have a couple of Grados tho... SR 60, my gateway drug, if you'd like, and then later on, RS2i. Im definitely feeling the need for some proper dac and amp on the RS2is. At the moment all I have for amplification is a rather cool amp built in to an old mint tin, that i bought on ebay from the guy who makes them.

post-16878-0-26150900-1368316351.jpg

(sory for the pretentious filter, was never meant for public viewing, only testing the old camera phone)

post-16878-0-26150900-1368316351.jpg

I REALLY want to build some speakers, but the only decent place I can find to get components is Parts Express, and shipping to Australia for everything is about $75. Anyone know where else I could look?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I REALLY want to build some speakers, but the only decent place I can find to get components is Parts Express, and shipping to Australia for everything is about $75. Anyone know where else I could look?

there is madisound, but im not sure if the shipping will be all that different as madisound is also based in the us.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I want to be into audio, but I don't have the resources to give it any priority  -_- I have a couple of Grados tho... SR 60, my gateway drug, if you'd like, and then later on, RS2i. Im definitely feeling the need for some proper dac and amp on the RS2is. At the moment all I have for amplification is a rather cool amp built in to an old mint tin, that i bought on ebay from the guy who makes them.

attachicon.gif2012-04-12 13.47.53.jpg

(sory for the pretentious filter, was never meant for public viewing, only testing the old camera phone)

That filter looks awesome with the little amp and the RS2is! :) I think its a really nice photo.

At home I use:

Asus Xonar D2x as TOSLink transport

Audio-gd 10.2 (link to manufacturer) (10.32 has an upgraded USB module)

HiFiMan HE-300 w/ fully balanced Cryo OCC cable (due to an upgrade soon, looking at HE-500)

or

AudioEngine A5 monitors on Sinn7 acoustic foam stands.

eh8gQBr.jpg

At work:

NuForce uDac-2

Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 (Germania modded, this mod includes dampening of the cups and a low impedance cable)

I also have a Pioneer PL-518X turntable w/ Audio-Technica ATH-95E and Cambridge Audio 640p RIAA which I use from time to time.

I use the optical out of my mobo to a Little Dot DAC_I which in turn feeds into my Little Dot MK IV SE which I use to power my Sennheiser HD 650s in order to enter a Zen state with various musics.  ^_^

post-2468-0-60074300-1368402653.jpg

post-2468-0-43532600-1368402090.jpg

The receiver you can see in the background is what I use to power two of the speakers below. Nothing special here, but good enough to share music with my neighbors down the block....

post-2468-0-55078400-1368402107.jpg

I use the optical out of my mobo to a Little Dot DAC_I which in turn feeds into my Little Dot MK IV SE which I use to power my Sennheiser HD 650s in order to enter a Zen state with various musics.  ^_^

attachicon.gifTubes in the dark.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-05-12 17.42.26.jpg

The receiver you can see in the background is what I use to power two of the speakers below. Nothing special here, but good enough to share music with my neighbors down the block....

attachicon.gif2013-05-12 17.44.10.jpg

The little dot units look so nice, I'm considering these as a possible contender for when i get my AKG Q701s. BTW have you seen this thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15717-woo-audio-5le-headphone-amplifier-review/#entry177248

EDIT: Its a review of a Woo Audio WA5 le

attachicon.gif2012-04-12 13.47.53.jpg

that headphone amp is just awesome.

ShearMe, on 13 May 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

I use the optical out of my mobo to a Little Dot DAC_I which in turn feeds into my Little Dot MK IV SE which I use to power my Sennheiser HD 650s in order to enter a Zen state with various musics. ^_^

Had the Little Dot MK IV SE as a loaner for a while when I also had my HD650, pretty good synergy those two have.

A couple of pictures :D

LdiIRcB.jpg

xuEbSD7.jpg

ECNGQUP.jpg

FDaWHqq.jpg

jpXhp12.jpg

Had the Little Dot MK IV SE as a loaner for a while when I also had my HD650, pretty good synergy those two have.

A couple of pictures :D

LdiIRcB.jpg

xuEbSD7.jpg

ECNGQUP.jpg

FDaWHqq.jpg

jpXhp12.jpg

It's a bloody gorgeous amp! 

I'm starting to really consider the little dots for when i get my AKG Q701s, i'm sort of worried a SS solution might make them sound to bass light and bright. AND they just look awesome!

And I'm just sitting here with my Z906...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Afaik the AKG Q701 are better with Solid State or hybrid amps because they are low impedance headphones. This post on Head-fi explains it pretty well.

Good read, cheers :)

This is just a taste, I have changed a few things....

front_zps38d5d2ae.jpg

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Afaik the AKG Q701 are better with Solid State or hybrid amps because they are low impedance headphones. This post on Head-fi explains it pretty well.

The Little Dot MK III, MK IV, and Mk IV SE have gain switches to change the power output, so they're good with whatever impedance headphones you have.

On the left, there are two banks of two switches, each controlling a different channel:

287558965_o.jpg

This is the Mk II, but they all have the same settings for gain.

OFF OFF - 10 gain - Low impedance and/or low sensitivity
ON OFF - 5 gain - Medium impedance/sensitivity
OFF ON - 4 gain - Medium impedance/sensitivity
ON ON - 3 gain - High impedance/sensitivity

This is just a taste, I have changed a few things....

-picture-

I love the plaques above the TV!  :lol:

The Little Dot MK III, MK IV, and Mk IV SE have gain switches to change the power output, so they're good with whatever impedance headphones you have.

On the left, there are two banks of two switches, each controlling a different channel:

287558965_o.jpg

This is the Mk II, but they all have the same settings for gain.

OFF OFF - 10 gain - Low impedance and/or low sensitivity
ON OFF - 5 gain - Medium impedance/sensitivity
OFF ON - 4 gain - Medium impedance/sensitivity
ON ON - 3 gain - High impedance/sensitivity

I am not saying it won't drive the headphones, but will it drive them well? My best bet is to try to see if you can borrow some different headphone amps or read up on head amps on Head-fi, there are loads of people having tried various combos with AKG headphones.

read up on head amps on Head-fi, there are loads of people having tried various combos with AKG headphones.

Lost count of how many threads I've read on Head-FI and other sites about amps and DACs for the AKG's. Unfortunately no matter how many you read it still makes it hard to make a decision.