New system: 7800X3D + 7900XTX - high power consumption + iGPU flaw

Upgraded from an i7 6700k & rtx2070 running the same 4k@60 display. Gaming at lower res.

Old systems idle power consumption (from wall) was 50W+-, desktop/browsing 65W, GPU heavy 175-215W, 100% CPU+GPU 310W. Max temp 68°.

Compared to my old system the power draw from the new one seems ludicrous. Also the idle temps are way higher.

Now i cant rly tell if this is the new industry standard (i hope not) since old system is years old and there is way less data on idle and desktop usage of todays systems.

New system:

• 7800X3D
  • 7900XTX
  • 2x16GB GDDR5 6000
  • MSI MAG b650 Tomahawk Wifi
  • Windows 11, latest Updates
  • 2x PCIE 4 SSD, 1x PCIE 3 SSD, 1x SATA HDD (same as old system, only new pcie gen)
  • CPU cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4 (from old system)
  • Display: 4k@60 (from old system)

Latest BIOS, no manual OC/UV, no EXPO enabled.

It idles (pictures) at around 80W from wall and spikes up to 120W+. Browsing single tabs or looking at a single youtube video is between 110-135W.

Both CPU and GPU sit around 50°C-+ idle.

Reading the power consumption with software seems tame in comparison to readings from wall over the power socket.

In software it says like CPU 24W, GPU 15-20W idle / 35-65W+- desktop use, but from wall its 80W+ doing nothing and 100W+ normal desktop or browsing.

The 7900xtx seems rly unstable with its power draw and treats minor desktops tasks like opening file explorer or switching tabs as heavy load spiking to instanity 100W+ for a short time. There seems no in between.

Resizing the Adrenalin software windows fast back and forth makes the card draw 100W+ and sets it to 70% utilisation.

The most confusing about this is, that the 7800X3D has an iGPU that apparently draws 22-28W idle being unused (nothing plugged in + dedicated GPU in use). More than the same amount of the CPU.

Disabling the iGPU in BIOS changes nothing to the overall power consumption of the system. (hope there are people who can confirm this for the 7000x3d series since im not sure if its chip related, motherboard or bios).

I hope its not the chip. Who would need an unused iGPU doubling the power consumption of the whole CPU?

Again compared to my old system this seems insane. To me it looks like there is a design flaw in minimum power utilisation and distinction between light and heavy workloads for power consumption.

adrenalin_7900xtx_7800x3d_cpu_igpu.jpg

gpuz_7800x3d_igpu.jpg

gpuz_7900xtx.jpg

hwinfo_7800x3d_cpu.jpg

hwinfo_7800x3d_igpu.jpg

hwinfo_7900xtx.jpg

hwmonitor_7800x3d_cpu.jpg

hwmonitor_7800x3d_igpu.jpg

hwmonitor_7900xtx.jpg

So you upgraded to a much newer, much higher end more powerful system and are confused as to why the power draw is higher? This is normal. 

If it's really a bother to you, underclock and undervolt your components. Otherwise don't worry about it. 

The newer high end components are going to have higher idle temps and power draw, it's only a given. It's not really this shocking to you is it?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, lux3000 said:

Upgraded from an i7 6700k & rtx2070 running the same 4k@60 display. Gaming at lower res.

Old systems idle power consumption (from wall) was 50W+-, desktop/browsing 65W, GPU heavy 175-215W, 100% CPU+GPU 310W. Max temp 68°.

Compared to my old system the power draw from the new one seems ludicrous. Also the idle temps are way higher.

Now i cant rly tell if this is the new industry standard (i hope not) since old system is years old and there is way less data on idle and desktop usage of todays systems.

New system:

• 7800X3D
  • 7900XTX
  • 2x16GB GDDR5 6000
  • MSI MAG b650 Tomahawk Wifi
  • Windows 11, latest Updates
  • 2x PCIE 4 SSD, 1x PCIE 3 SSD, 1x SATA HDD (same as old system, only new pcie gen)
  • CPU cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4 (from old system)
  • Display: 4k@60 (from old system)

Latest BIOS, no manual OC/UV, no EXPO enabled.

It idles (pictures) at around 80W from wall and spikes up to 120W+. Browsing single tabs or looking at a single youtube video is between 110-135W.

Both CPU and GPU sit around 50°C-+ idle.

Reading the power consumption with software seems tame in comparison to readings from wall over the power socket.

In software it says like CPU 24W, GPU 15-20W idle / 35-65W+- desktop use, but from wall its 80W+ doing nothing and 100W+ normal desktop or browsing.

The 7900xtx seems rly unstable with its power draw and treats minor desktops tasks like opening file explorer or switching tabs as heavy load spiking to instanity 100W+ for a short time. There seems no in between.

Resizing the Adrenalin software windows fast back and forth makes the card draw 100W+ and sets it to 70% utilisation.

The most confusing about this is, that the 7800X3D has an iGPU that apparently draws 22-28W idle being unused (nothing plugged in + dedicated GPU in use). More than the same amount of the CPU.

Disabling the iGPU in BIOS changes nothing to the overall power consumption of the system. (hope there are people who can confirm this for the 7000x3d series since im not sure if its chip related, motherboard or bios).

I hope its not the chip. Who would need an unused iGPU doubling the power consumption of the whole CPU?

Again compared to my old system this seems insane. To me it looks like there is a design flaw in minimum power utilisation and distinction between light and heavy workloads for power consumption.

Personally, my system will sit at 200W (measured from the wall) at idle, though its over 700W under load. I've suspected that Ryzen 7000 misreports the iGPU wattage as potentially the draw of the whole I/O die and not just the iGPU since I've seen similar high iGPU draw. Something I could verify with a little bit of math, to see if values exceed physically how much power the system is drawing at idle with HWinfo and my watt meter or such.

7900XTX on the other hand is known for high draw in idle, it's a widely reported on issue that AMD might be fixing with a RDNA3+ or something along those lines.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

So you upgraded to a much newer, much higher end more powerful system and are confused as to why the power draw is higher? This is normal. 

If it's really a bother to you, underclock and undervolt your components. Otherwise don't worry about it. 

The newer high end components are going to have higher idle temps and power draw, it's only a given. It's not really this shocking to you is it?

It IS shocking to me that a more advanced system needs double the power for the same tasks, which is doing nothing, running the OS or the bare minimum here.

I basically just upgraded the GPU. Everything else is the equivalent of that times technology.

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

At full power it would be understandable to use more since new system might do 5 times the calcs. But at idle, or low load, the better efficiency (fewer Watt per calculation) should reduce power draw, or at least keep it similar 

OP: The temps are meaningless here, different design due to tiny chiplets (more power density) and different heatsink. So don't worry about temps as long as they are low enough under load. And good on you for actually measuring power. This is a valid complaint.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Personally, my system will sit at 200W (measured from the wall) at idle, though its over 700W under load. I've suspected that Ryzen 7000 misreports the iGPU wattage as potentially the draw of the whole I/O die and not just the iGPU since I've seen similar high iGPU draw. Something I could verify with a little bit of math, to see if values exceed physically how much power the system is drawing at idle with HWinfo and my watt meter or such.

7900XTX on the other hand is known for high draw in idle, it's a widely reported on issue that AMD might be fixing with a RDNA3+ or something along those lines.

To me it seems the iGPU is always on and draws power.

I had the same total system power in idle in all these scenarios: 1 display

• dGPU connected to display with iGPU still enabled in BIOS
  • dGPU connected to display with iGPU disabled in BIOS
  • iGPU connected to display with dGPU still enabled

So the 7800X3D draws the same amount of power every time.

Edit:

iGPU connected to display with dGPU still enabled

Here the total system power was actually lower due to the dGPU being powered but not used, so its idle usage dropped even lower. The difference of that idle power in comparison to the total system usage is then again the same as the other scenarios = same total system power used.

47 minutes ago, lux3000 said:

To me it seems the iGPU is always on and draws power.

I had the same total system power in idle in all these scenarios: 1 display

• dGPU connected to display with iGPU still enabled in BIOS
  • dGPU connected to display with iGPU disabled in BIOS
  • iGPU connected to display with dGPU still enabled

So the 7800X3D draws the same amount of power every time.

Edit:

Here the total system power was actually lower due to the dGPU being powered but not used, so its idle usage dropped even lower. The difference of that idle power in comparison to the total system usage is then again the same as the other scenarios = same total system power used.

I tested the same thing, disabling the iGPU in the UEFI to see if I could get 0W indication in HWinfo, that's part of what leads me to believe that its reporting more than the iGPU, like the I/O die itself with the rest of the North Bridge hardware like PCIe and memory controllers. Its supposed to be ~40W per Google.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, Agall said:

I tested the same thing, disabling the iGPU in the UEFI to see if I could get 0W indication in HWinfo, that's part of what leads me to believe that its reporting more than the iGPU, [...]

You can still get readings for hardware that got disabled in BIOS/UEFI with HWinfo?

When i disabled the iGPU in the BIOS it was gone as expected. Thats why im measuring between PSU and the wall power socket for total system power used.

2 hours ago, Agall said:

[...] , like the I/O die itself with the rest of the North Bridge hardware like PCIe and memory controllers. Its supposed to be ~40W per Google.

Im not that deep into the subject.

I just saw the iGPU power sensor in HWinfo go crazy when i had cinebench running with my dGPU. iGPU gets to 6W and spikes to 64W some milliseconds.

3 hours ago, Lurking said:

OP: The temps are meaningless here, different design due to tiny chiplets (more power density) and different heatsink. So don't worry about temps as long as they are low enough under load. And good on you for actually measuring power. This is a valid complaint.

I read about the higher idle temps due to architecture now from several differnt sources. Thx 4 this info.