PC idling quite toasty but never, ever goes above 85 C.

handsyouanegg

I built this computer around the beginning of the year using one of NZXT’s Core kits. The specs are as follows:

NZXT H710 Case

16 GB 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX

RTX 3060 Ti

Ryzen 7 5700x   3.4 GHz base, OC’d ~4.4 GHz

NZXT Kraken x52 240MM AIO

Since I built it, the CPU runs a little toasty. It can idle anywhere from 50- (rarely) 70 C, but I’ve noticed that, under load, it very rarely goes above 80 C, and when it does, it will never go above 85 C. Usually it will sit from around 70-80 C under load. From what I’ve noticed, it has never shut down from overheating and games still run perfectly. This CPU and GPU combo has been absolute beast for me at 1080p. 

I’ve asked some more experienced friends about this and all of them are saying it is just fine, but I just wanted to make sure here, and maybe get some tips on how to lower those temps a little bit, as I do want this PC to last me and don’t want any concernable damage done to the CPU in the future. My room does tend to get quite stuffy, as I do live in Florida and the summer can get quite humid, even when it’s not sunny. 

I’ve considered replacing the thermal paste, adding extra fans, reducing my OC (as that is quite a beefy turbo from stock), remounting my cooler, the likes. 

I am also using NZXT CAM to monitor my temps, if that changes anything. I’ve heard people tell me that’s not the BEST program for monitoring temps, but it seems to be working okay for me. Temps match up across programs I’ve tried. 

Thanks for the help! 🙂❤️

13 minutes ago, handsyouanegg said:

NZXT H710 Case

Airflow from the front of that case (if I"m looking at the right one) isn't all that great, and coupled with the OC, may be the issue.

If you remove the side panel, do the temps go down?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Airflow from the front of that case (if I"m looking at the right one) isn't all that great, and coupled with the OC, may be the issue.

If you remove the side panel, do the temps go down?

I’ve heard this as well. Tested removing the side panel AND the front panel and the temps DO gown down but only by a little bit. Not  a discernible amount, I’d say only about 2-5 degrees at a time. I’ve seen custom front panels to purchase for it I’ve considered but if I’m not seeing that much of a performance boost from just removing the front, I won’t really bother. 

8 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

you sure the fans aren't set at a buckass stupid profile?

Pretty sure, haha. I’ve messed with the fans a little bit and it’s still about the same, but I can try and tinker with them a little more.

26 minutes ago, handsyouanegg said:

NZXT Kraken x52 120MM AIO

While the case isn’t great for airflow, this is another big part of the problem. A 120mm AIO is just small. 

Edit: reading your temps, you’re actually doing just fine. If you wanted cooler temps the AIO is where I’d start

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

While the case isn’t great for airflow, this is another big part of the problem. A 120mm AIO is just small. 

Agreed, 240mm at least...

27 minutes ago, handsyouanegg said:

I’ve asked some more experienced friends about this and all of them are saying it is just fine, but I just wanted to make sure here

You are fine, and the CPU will be fine.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Edit: reading your temps, you’re actually doing just fine. If you wanted cooler temps the AIO is where I’d start

I apologize, I made a mistake in the specs, this is actually a 240 MM AIO. Adjusted the thread to correct it, sorry about that. 

Well first test to see if your CPU/PC performs up to stratch. Run comparison benchmarks like 3DMark and see if you're within margin of error (though overclockers tend to skew this margin).

Then run your own tests to see if GHz don't drop below advertised speeds. Like I got scared for a second about all core loads:

Do a sustained one, two, four and all core loads and see if the speed is within margin.

Because if its running too hot, it'll throttle itself. Sure, temperature wise it might look ok, never exceeding the cap but one might not notice that actually you're missing performance as it's running slower. For example advertises itself as a 5GHz but throttled it's not running at 4GHz.

Though idle at 70c doesn't sound right. 50c idle would be my worst case.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, handsyouanegg said:

I apologize, I made a mistake in the specs, this is actually a 240 MM AIO. Adjusted the thread to correct it, sorry about that. 

Is your pump set to run full speed all the time? Rule of thumb is to let the pump run full speed and use the fans to adjust cooling levels. 

I can’t remember if NZXT lets you adjust pump speed on their AIOs or not. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Is your pump set to run full speed all the time? Rule of thumb is to let the pump run full speed and use the fans to adjust cooling levels. 

I can’t remember if NZXT lets you adjust pump speed on their AIOs or not. 

That is a good question. 

I am currently at work right now but can get back to you on this later in the day. 

I appreciate the support very much, thank you! : )

1 hour ago, venomtail said:

Well first test to see if your CPU/PC performs up to stratch. Run comparison benchmarks like 3DMark and see if you're within margin of error (though overclockers tend to skew this margin).

Then run your own tests to see if GHz don't drop below advertised speeds. Like I got scared for a second about all core loads:

Do a sustained one, two, four and all core loads and see if the speed is within margin.

Because if its running too hot, it'll throttle itself. Sure, temperature wise it might look ok, never exceeding the cap but one might not notice that actually you're missing performance as it's running slower. For example advertises itself as a 5GHz but throttled it's not running at 4GHz.

Though idle at 70c doesn't sound right. 50c idle would be my worst case.

Will run some tests as soon as I get home today. Thank you! : )