Ryzen 5 5600 (non x version) stuttering in Overwatch 2

Hello,

Since I've upgraded my CPU last year around november I've had stutters and lag issues in Overwatch 2. Before the upgrade I used a i5-9400f with a Gigabyte Z390UD motherboard and had no issues with stutters or random frame drops. However I begun having stutters and frame drops for seconds randomly since I upgraded to the Ryzen 5 5600 together with a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 motherboard. It was so bad that I had huge lag (frame drops) just by having Chrome or Spotify on in the background while playing a game. However later bios updates did eventually fix this issue. However now I still have issues with random stutters and sometimes frame drops for a second even with the latest bios and chipset drivers. With stutters I mean that it feels like the game stops for less than half a second. You can find information about my setup in my profile or below here on this post.

Setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 (non x version)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (overclocked to XMP)

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti (GV-N166TWF2OC-6GD)

Storage(in which OW2 is installed on): Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ / 550W / 80+ Gold

HWinfo PC monitoring stats derived from looking at graphs:

GPU Thermal limit (now, minimum, maximum): 83c

GPU temperature (peak temperature from graph): 70c

GPU hotspot temperature: 81c

I'm thinking about also repasting the GPU as a last resort. I do have some thermal paste left from when I upgraded my CPU last year.

1 minute ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Hello,

Since I've upgraded my CPU last year around november I've had stutters and lag issues in Overwatch 2. Before the upgrade I used a i5-9400f with a Gigabyte Z390UD motherboard and had no issues with stutters or random frame drops. However I begun having stutters and frame drops for seconds randomly since I upgraded to the Ryzen 5 5600 together with a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 motherboard. It was so bad that I had huge lag (frame drops) just by having Chrome or Spotify on in the background while playing a game. However later bios updates did eventually fix this issue. However now I still have issues with random stutters and sometimes frame drops for a second even with the latest bios and chipset drivers. With stutters I mean that it feels like the game stops for less than half a second. You can find information about my setup in my profile or below here on this post.

Setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 (non x version)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (overclocked to XMP)

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti (GV-N166TWF2OC-6GD)

Storage(in which OW2 is installed on): Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ / 550W / 80+ Gold

I'm thinking about also repasting the GPU as a last resort. I do have some thermal paste left from when I upgraded my CPU last year.

You upgraded your CPU when your GPU was the issue. The 1660ti is too slow for that game, honestly probably most games besides minecraft

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

3 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Were your cpu wattage/usage numbers spiking? And was it bottlenecking the gpu? Because with a 1660 ti I doubt it

1 minute ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

You upgraded your CPU when your GPU was the issue. The 1660ti is too slow for that game, honestly probably most games besides minecraft

They shouldn't get stutters because of it tho. The 1660 ti is enough for overwatch 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Can we see how this looks in sensors only mode? 

Did you fresh install Windows? 9400f to a 5600 is enough of a change I'd have done that just to keep compatibility issues a non issue. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You say you're on latest bios and chipset drivers, but have you updated your GPU drivers?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 hours ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

I upgraded the CPU because of performance boost mainly in Valorant which is about +120fps which is insane. I play on a 240hz and I prefer the look and feel of high fps and hz. The CPU are a upgrade in OW too but I went from 230 fps to now 290fps avg and my lows are also improved (when I'm lucky and don't have any issues).

2 hours ago, filpo said:

They shouldn't get stutters because of it tho. The 1660 ti is enough for overwatch 

The GPU usage is 70% avg (68-80%) while the CPU runs at 33%. If I remember it right the 9400f ran at 50% and the GPU 60% 

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Can we see how this looks in sensors only mode? 

I used sensort only mode.

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Did you fresh install Windows? 9400f to a 5600 is enough of a change I'd have done that just to keep compatibility issues a non issue. 

No I did not fresh install Windows after the CPU upgrade. The issues started right away after I upgraded the CPU but got better after BIOS updates.

1 hour ago, suchamoneypit said:

You say you're on latest bios and chipset drivers, but have you updated your GPU drivers?

Yes, I have GeForce Experience installed and check updates on a weekly basis

3 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I upgraded the CPU because of performance boost mainly in Valorant which is about +120fps which is insane. I play on a 240hz and I prefer the look and feel of high fps and hz. The CPU are a upgrade in OW too but I went from 230 fps to now 290fps avg and my lows are also improved (when I'm lucky and don't have any issues).

The GPU usage is 70% avg (68-80%) while the CPU runs at 33%. If I remember it right the 9400f ran at 50% and the GPU 60% 

I used sensort only mode.

No I did not fresh install Windows after the CPU upgrade. The issues started right away after I upgraded the CPU but got better after BIOS updates.

Yes, I have GeForce Experience installed and check updates on a weekly basis

I'm curious if you look at task manager when doing games or running cinebench, is your CPU actually reaching the proper clockrate? It should be boosting around 4.4ghz. When my BIOS was wrong for my 5800x3d I saw performance issues and my clockrate locked at a lower than normal clockrate. 

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

5 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I'm curious if you look at task manager when doing games or running cinebench, is your CPU actually reaching the proper clockrate? It should be boosting around 4.4ghz. When my BIOS was wrong for my 5800x3d I saw performance issues and my clockrate locked at a lower than normal clockrate. 

Haven't thought about testing cinebench because my GPU and CPU do perform as good as they should do. The FPS is where it should be for the setup I have which is 280 fps avg in Overwatch and about 370fps avg in Valorant from what I can remember. The CPU and GPU is also the same as seen in benchmarks on YouTube. For reference the 1660ti performs the same as the GTX 1070, GTX 1660 SUPER and RTX 3050.

Later bios updates fixed the frame drops issues. The frame drops issue happened when I had something on in the background like Spotify or a YouTube video while playing a game. However the issue is that I have frame stutters randomly now. When monotoring the game FPS with like Afterburner it seems as if the stutters vanishes so I would guess it's some kind of priority issue. If not that, maybe there's some issue with newer Nvidia drivers.

Just now, PapaAquaWet said:

Haven't thought about testing cinebench because my GPU and CPU do perform as good as they should do. The FPS is where it should be for the setup I have which is 280 fps avg in Overwatch and about 370fps avg in Valorant from what I can remember. The CPU and GPU is also the same as seen in benchmarks on YouTube. For reference the 1660ti performs the same as the GTX 1070, GTX 1660 SUPER and RTX 3050.

Later bios updates fixed the frame drops issues. The frame drops issue happened when I had something on in the background like Spotify or a YouTube video while playing a game. However the issue is that I have frame stutters randomly now. When monotoring the game FPS with like Afterburner it seems as if the stutters vanishes so I would guess it's some kind of priority issue. If not that, maybe there's some issue with newer Nvidia drivers.

You can install drivers one version back and test with that. Do you still "stutter" with V-sync enabled? Is this only happening in a single game or all?