Very high CPU Core temps on new computer.

A couple months ago I purchased a PowerSpec G472 from my local MicroCenter. It has been a painless experience entirely except for the fact that I've seen its CPU Core temp hit 98C while playing a game of FIFA 23. Other CPU intensive games like Valorant run perfect at max settings all while staying around 50-60C. Apex Legends and other similar games have gotten to 90 as well but they tend to average around the mid 80s. I use MSI Center to monitor temperatures and have attached a screen shot of what it looks like when I simply boot FIFA, without going past the loading screen. Any clues or general advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot (6).png

So I just stared at some EA forum about a similar issue. Turns out FIFA 23 is really CPU intensive on everyone systems so it may be a "Game is poorly optimized" problem That forum.

The other possible answer is that for some reason it could be using your integrated graphics instead of your GPU. 

Here is a good guide to make sure that your system is using your graphics card and not your processor for everything Link! Oops 13900kf no integrated graphics

That is my guess for possible problems, wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Doug2000
Misread cpu

@lonerock with a i9 13900KF, high temps are to be expected.

One thing you could try doing is reapplying the thermal paste for the CPU, there being the possibility that maybe not enough was used, or it wasn't applied right.

You could try adjusting the fan curve for the AiO, to see if that improves anything.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

A 240mm AIO is very small for a 13900k. 

I would guess Valorant uses less CPU cores than Apex, and Apex uses less than Fifa want to use. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I would run a synthetic stress test, like 3D mark, and see if everything in your case heats up or if its just the processor.  If its just the processor, reapplying thermal paste is the first step.  If that does not work, you may want to look at noctua D14 or the like.

Also what are the temps of the room you have the PC in.  Just it makes a huge difference if you are at 50°F/ 10°C or 90°F/ 32°C.

Not  to be a broken record, but lga1700 puts a bend into some CPUs. It is on a mobo by mobo basis. A contact frame may help your temps immensely.

start a synthetic benchmark like cinebench. If your temps go to 90+ immediately you have a bent cpu problem most likely.