Mixing 1x16gb cl15 3000mhz with 1x16gb cl16 3000mhz for dual channel

Hi! I want to upgrade my computer. Because financially reasons, I bought just one stick of ram. The installed one is Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16gb, cl15, 3000mhz. I want to buy the same version, but instead of cl15, it is at cl16

( Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16gb, cl16 ,3000mhz ). I will run them in dual channel.
I was wondering if I can mix them up, having in mind that approximately the same, just the latency is a bit different.

yes you can, but you might have to set the frequency and timings manually. What is the operating voltage of those two sticks? (Should be on there next to the timings)

11 minutes ago, MishuOwl said:

Hi! I want to upgrade my computer. Because financially reasons, I bought just one stick of ram. The installed one is Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16gb, cl15, 3000mhz. I want to buy the same version, but instead of cl15, it is at cl16

( Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16gb, cl16 ,3000mhz ). I will run them in dual channel.
I was wondering if I can mix them up, having in mind that approximately the same, just the latency is a bit different.

Should work if you set the worst (largest) timings of both

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

12 hours ago, _Omega_ said:

yes you can, but you might have to set the frequency and timings manually. What is the operating voltage of those two sticks? (Should be on there next to the timings)

Both are at 1.35V
1st :

Freq (MHz):  3000
Capacity: 16GB
No. modules:  1 x 16GB
CAS: 15-17-17-35,
Others: Voltage: 1.35V

2nd: 

Freq (MHz): 3000
No. modules: 1 x 16GB
CAS: 16-20-20-38,

25 minutes ago, MishuOwl said:

Both are at 1.35V
1st :

Freq (MHz):  3000
No. modules:  1 x 16GB
CAS: 15-17-17-35,

2nd: 

Freq (MHz): 3000
No. modules: 1 x 16GB
CAS: 16-20-20-38,

Then it should work flawless with the worse (higher) timings or maybe even with the lower ones... just try it.

I just asked for a voltage because it can be quite different, which would prevent it from working out of the box but as it is with the same voltage it should work with no problem 

Thank you for helping me! =) I'll get back with updates in the near future !

On 5/31/2023 at 9:33 PM, MishuOwl said:

i once mixed DDR3 together. 2+2gb Kit with 1,5v, 1600 Mhz with another 4+4gb Kit with 1,35v and 1333 Mhz. Worket flawlessly. Probably CL was different too.

You will be able to mix those sticks with 99,99% certainty together, the faster CL15 one will just go up to CL16 to match the slower one, usually no issues there.

Just use the CMP Profile and it should work.

Maybe activate XMP --> set CL to 16 afterwards, in case the Motherboard takes the XMP Profile from the faster one.

Fun Fact about Ram, many people don't know:

You can even use 8+8+16gb for a perfect Dual Channel.

You simply need 16gb Ram in Channel A + 16gb Ram in Channel B.

A right setup would be:

8 - 8 - 16 - x

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

I just installed the ram. Buut... Houston, we might have a problem.
*cpu AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

*mobo : https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-1x#kf

I will describe in the chronological order:

1.Ram installed

2.First boot - windows blue screen

3.Open Bios : disabled XMP
4.Second boot - windows works and ram works at 2133mhz at CL15(verified on CPU-Z and Windows Task Manager)
5.Open Bios and change the frequency and timings to manual:

• Frequency multiplier 30.00 (3000mhz)
  • CL : 16
  • tRCDRD : 20
  • tRCDWR : 20
  • tRP : 20
  • tRAS  : 38

5.1. Press f10 and save

6. Third boot - windows works but the frequency remains at 2133mhz at CL15 (re-verified on CPU-Z and Windows Task Manager)

What can I do in order to be able to use the RAM at it's maximum? 

1 hour ago, MishuOwl said:

*UPDATE*

I just installed the ram. Buut... Houston, we might have a problem.
*cpu AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

*mobo : https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-1x#kf

I will describe in the chronological order:

1.Ram installed

2.First boot - windows blue screen

3.Open Bios : disabled XMP
4.Second boot - windows works and ram works at 2133mhz at CL15(verified on CPU-Z and Windows Task Manager)
5.Open Bios and change the frequency and timings to manual:

• Frequency multiplier 30.00 (3000mhz)
  • CL : 16
  • tRCDRD : 20
  • tRCDWR : 20
  • tRP : 20
  • tRAS  : 38

5.1. Press f10 and save

6. Third boot - windows works but the frequency remains at 2133mhz at CL15 (re-verified on CPU-Z and Windows Task Manager)

What can I do in order to be able to use the RAM at it's maximum? 

Hello!

Unfortunately, that's what happens when mixing RAM. 

What you could try is entering BIOS menu and set parameters manually, using the parameters of the slower module. 

If that doesn't work, I'd stick with the default JEDEC speed. 

1 hour ago, NDRE28 said:

Hello!

Unfortunately, that's what happens when mixing RAM. 

What you could try is entering BIOS menu and set parameters manually, using the parameters of the slower module. 

If that doesn't work, I'd stick with the default JEDEC speed. 

That's what I tried to do, but I don't know why the bios mobo didn't save my settings. This is the reason why I put the mobo and cpu in the update, in order that someone have played with these settings on this mobo. Thanks for responding =))