7200rpm hard drive noise SATA vs SAS

davidst95
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Normally no difference besides drive to drive variance.

Other than that if they are even the same sata or sas drive expect identical noise

Hi, I'm considering upgrading to a new LSI card and purchasing larger hard drives for my UnRAID server.   I believe two of my current drives might be going bad.   I want to go down from eight 8GB drives to no more than six 12GB or 14GB hard drives.     I currently have the 9207-8i, which has eight 6 Gb/s SATA + SAS total connections.   I have been looking at the LSI-9300-8i, which has the same connections but at 12 Gb/s.   I am also considering purchasing SAS drives instead of SATA but was concerned about the noise. 

Is there a significant noise difference between a 7200RPM SATA drive vs a 7200RPM 12 Gb/s SAS drive?   I read that SAS drives running at 1500RPM are read loud for home use, but I could find much information on the noise for a 7200RPM SAS drive.   Also, if SAS drives make sense does it matter between Seagate or Western Digital?   Currently, new SAS drives appear a little cheaper than SATA.

I hope this makes sense.   Thanks as always for any suggestions!

David

PS I don't know if I should mention I have a few SSD drives for the UnRaid cache.

Other than that if they are even the same sata or sas drive expect identical noise

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Thanks. Glad to hear that! 

David