Apartment design for ethernet

Omara
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

ideally, you make a space for network equipment (read: just a thick wooden board against the wall you can bolt stuff into) next to the fuse panel. have the uplink from the ISP arrive there as well.

then have every LAN port in the house lead back to a panel in this place.

then you bolt whatever modem you get from the ISP in the wall, presumably a network switch or two as well, and then just plug stuff in with cat6 cables.

hi everyone, i am trying to wire up a new apartment from scratch with electrical/internet and i was wondering how can i implement the following.

i want to have 1 ethernet input in an outlet in the middle of the place, where i can put an ethernet cable from the router -> outlet and have an output ethernet port in every other room reading from that router.

how can this possibly be implemented? do i need a server setup, or do i just have fiber running from that input that splits into different branches, 1 leading to each room? and wouldn't that affect the internet speed per room if that was applicable?

could use any sort of guidance here, thank you.

ideally, you make a space for network equipment (read: just a thick wooden board against the wall you can bolt stuff into) next to the fuse panel. have the uplink from the ISP arrive there as well.

then you bolt whatever modem you get from the ISP in the wall, presumably a network switch or two as well, and then just plug stuff in with cat6 cables.

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

You need a switch.

can you explain more? like do i need a switch before the input outlet, or a switch per room or what exactly

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

uplink?

Just now, Omara said:

uplink?

the cable that the ISP puts in your house for the modem to plug into.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the cable that the ISP puts in your house for the modem to plug into.

we are using VDSL here, i'm guessing u mean the phone cable?

1 minute ago, Omara said:

we are using VDSL here, i'm guessing u mean the phone cable?

yes

Just now, manikyath said:

yes

ok sweet, so just to recap, do my normal router setup, and from 1 of the outputs in the router, run it into the switch, and from the switch to the power outlet which has fiber/cat6 running into separate rooms?

Just now, Omara said:

ok sweet, so just to recap, do my normal router setup, and from 1 of the outputs in the router, run it into the switch, and from the switch to the power outlet which has fiber/cat6 running into separate rooms?

basicly yes, for the runs to the vareous rooms you want to use this sort of panel in the utility room:

n252048-front-l.jpg

and then just have cat6 runs to the wall outlet stuff in the vareous rooms like this:

51fugWE2knL.jpg

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

basicly yes, for the runs to the vareous rooms you want to use this sort of panel in the utility room:

n252048-front-l.jpg

and then just have cat6 runs to the wall outlet stuff in the vareous rooms like this:

51fugWE2knL.jpg

there is no "utility room" this will be a living apartment, i want to setup the minimalist setup as much as possible

Just now, Omara said:

there is no "utility room" this will be a living apartment, i want to setup the minimalist setup as much as possible

i assume there's a fuse panel somewhere that is not in the living room?

35 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i assume there's a fuse panel somewhere that is not in the living room?

ya

oh i think i got u, u want every room to connect to that fuse panel, and the router connects to the input outlet, and that outlet connects as input inside the fuse panel?

Just now, Omara said:

ya

that's where it goes. they make fairly compact cat6 mounting panels if necessary.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's where it goes. they make fairly compact cat6 mounting panels if necessary.

so it's called cat6 mounting panel? cuz i will need to do a bit of research about the hardware availability where i'm from

5 minutes ago, Omara said:

would #1 be the input?

they're all the inputs. these are the plugs you can then run a cable from to a switch, and the other side of this is connected to all the cables that run to the different rooms.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

they're all the inputs. these are the plugs you can then run a cable from to a switch, and the other side of this is connected to all the cables that run to the different rooms.

u lost me again, can u explain the full diagram from start to finish? like start with router>x>y>z>a and such?

11 minutes ago, Omara said:

u lost me again, can u explain the full diagram from start to finish? like start with router>x>y>z>a and such?

instead of running actual 'finished' cables to the different rooms where you want wired network to go, you mount those ethernet wall plates in the rooms, and run the cable to a box like i linked, so that the (difficult to replace) cabling is hard-mounted on both sides, meaning it cant wear out from moving stuff about.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

instead of running actual 'finished' cables to the different rooms where you want wired network to go, you mount those ethernet wall plates in the rooms, and run the cable to a box like i linked, so that the (difficult to replace) cabling is hard-mounted on both sides, meaning it cant wear out from moving stuff about.

ok so thats the part for the output ethernet outlets, how do i connect that to the router though

14 hours ago, Omara said:

ok so thats the part for the output ethernet outlets, how do i connect that to the router though

With a switch. Each of those patch panel ports gets connected to a port on a network switch with a regular patch cable. Then you connect a switch port to the LAN side of your modem. (Basic, unmanaged network switches don't have "inputs" and "outputs" anymore, so you can plug in whatever makes sense. Usually I use the first or last port on the switch for the modem, just for cable management.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

With a switch. Each of those patch panel ports gets connected to a port on a network switch with a regular patch cable. Then you connect a switch port to the LAN side of your modem. (Basic, unmanaged network switches don't have "inputs" and "outputs" anymore, so you can plug in whatever makes sense. Usually I use the first or last port on the switch for the modem, just for cable management.)

ok i think i got what u guys mean, so i should connect from router>switch>patch panels>different rooms, correct?

25 minutes ago, Omara said:

ok i think i got what u guys mean, so i should connect from router>switch>patch panels>different rooms, correct?

Correct. Think of the patch panel and keystone jack as just more cable. (That's all it is.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.