Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q - Buy or not to buy

chiller15

I want to replace my 24" Dell S2417DG with something newer, though I've recently been playing games connected to my LG C1 OLED and been spoilt by the brilliant image of OLED, with it's deep blacks and HDR. However, couch gaming doesn't offer my the same level of immersion that desk gaming does, even if I use my keyboard/mouse. Therefore I'd like to get the best of both worlds, having a somewhat HDR gaming experience on my desk. While I won't be playing at 4K anymore (I have a 3080, though likely won't be upgrading until the 50 series comes out), the Cooler Master Tempest GP27Q seems to tick all the right boxes, fast enough refresh rate, actual HDR with 576 full array local dimming, good colour accuracy and response times. It's also within my ~£500 price bracket I've allocated myself. However, a couple of things are bugging me and it's delayed me purchasing it so far:

1. I know that the monitor has had bugs and firmware has fixed most of these. I've watched Hardware/Monitors Unboxed's videos, though I think another new firmware has been released since they released their updated video. Has anyone got any updates?
  2. What is the main competitor in terms of image quality/HDR and price?
  3. While 576 zones provides a true HDR experience, obiously more zones = better. However, I can't seem to find more information about upcoming higher refresh rate, high FALD zone count, 1440p monitors.
  4. A monitor is what tends to last the longest on my system, though I've never used any Cooler Master products and I don't know what their quality is like. Can anyone expand on their experience if they own this monitor, or other Cooler Master products?
  5. Does anyone know what Cooler Master's warranty experience is like?
  6. If I'm likely to have this monitor for at least the next five years, am I shooting myself in the foot by it only being 1440p?

I probably have more questions, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

5 hours ago, chiller15 said:

I know that the monitor has had bugs and firmware has fixed most of these. I've watched Hardware/Monitors Unboxed's videos, though I think another new firmware has been released since they released their updated video. Has anyone got any updates?

The Firmware issues were about the GP27U, which is the 4K model. 

1. What is the main competitor in terms of image quality/HDR and price?

None. 1440p MiniLED monitors are exceedingly rare. And 4K MiniLED models are significantly more expensive.

1. While 576 zones provides a true HDR experience, obiously more zones = better. However, I can't seem to find more information about upcoming higher refresh rate, high FALD zone count, 1440p monitors.

It's a niche market within a niche market. People looking out for HDR normally go high-end, where 4K is the standard. So most MiniLED monitors are 4K, not 1440p.

1. A monitor is what tends to last the longest on my system, though I've never used any Cooler Master products and I don't know what their quality is like. Can anyone expand on their experience if they own this monitor, or other Cooler Master products?

I never had a Cooler Master monitor, but the other products i've had from them always felt cheap. But never judge based on brand. This monitor could be totally different.

1. If I'm likely to have this monitor for at least the next five years, am I shooting myself in the foot by it only being 1440p?

Not really. 4K is nice but not necessary on a 27" monitor. By being 1440p it's also easier to run now and in the future.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

What did you end up deciding on? Funnily enough, I'm also in the exact same situation (I also do occasional couch gaming with my PC on a LG C1) and I'm considering the CM GP27Q. It doesn't look like there's anything on the horizon for 1440p mini-LED as most are 4K.

Nothing beat it in term of price, I'll bite the bullet if I were you, for the most part the software bugs Tim mentioned also doesn't seem all that serious. Actually the original firmware also wasn't all that bad, you just have to disable VRR with HDR which is more than a worth while. VRR isn't all that important, especially if you don't game on something super competitive, V-sync is good enough. 

8 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

What did you end up deciding on? Funnily enough, I'm also in the exact same situation (I also do occasional couch gaming with my PC on a LG C1) and I'm considering the CM GP27Q. It doesn't look like there's anything on the horizon for 1440p mini-LED as most are 4K.

I decided not to purchase and see if anything is announced at Computex this week. I'm not in an urgent rush for a replacement, not at least for the next few months anyway. I think I was leading with my wallet rather than my head when I made the post. 

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

19 hours ago, chiller15 said:

I decided not to purchase and see if anything is announced at Computex this week. I'm not in an urgent rush for a replacement, not at least for the next few months anyway. I think I was leading with my wallet rather than my head when I made the post. 

Good decision. Don't buy half baked products.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.