Bottleneck Concerns

I'm planning on getting a new gpu soon, but I don't want to overshoot on performance because I think my cpu will bottleneck if I go too high-end. My cpu is the i7-10700F. My top 3 picks for a gpu right now are the RX 6700 XT, the RX 6750 XT, or the RTX 3060 TI if the prices drop after the release of the 4060 series. I'm heavily leaning towards the 6700 XT or 6750 XT because the price to performance just seems better than the 3060 TI. According to pc-builds' bottleneck calculator, the 6700 XT would be a good pair for my cpu with just a little bottleneck on cpu intensive games. The 6750 XT, however, shows more of a bottleneck all around. I'm wondering if that's something I should really be concerned about, or if I should just get the 6750 XT for the extra power if the price is right. Someone smarter than me please help, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

I'm planning on getting a new gpu soon, but I don't want to overshoot on performance because I think my cpu will bottleneck if I go too high-end. My cpu is the i7-10700F. My top 3 picks for a gpu right now are the RX 6700 XT, the RX 6750 XT, or the RTX 3060 TI if the prices drop after the release of the 4060 series. I'm heavily leaning towards the 6700 XT or 6750 XT because the price to performance just seems better than the 3060 TI. According to pc-builds' bottleneck calculator, the 6700 XT would be a good pair for my cpu with just a little bottleneck on cpu intensive games. The 6750 XT, however, shows more of a bottleneck all around. I'm wondering if that's something I should really be concerned about, or if I should just get the 6750 XT for the extra power if the price is right. Someone smarter than me please help, thanks!

Bottleneck calculators aren't always accurate, just for your information. However, I would recommend the 6700XT I don't think it will be that big of bottleneck... 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

Depend on what games you play imo. 
What is your RAM configuration?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

The 6750 xt is just a light oc over the 6700 xt. Also bottleneck calculators are terrible. It’s based on game so can be decisive on game. I would get the 6700 xt but you wouldn’t have a bottleneck either way

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

If your current GPU isn't bottlenecked (it shouldn't be) and If your planning to upgrade your CPU within the life time of the new GPU, I would ignore bottlenecks entirely and just buy the best gpu in your budget cause you can always unlock the previously bottlenecked performance later.

@PriitM who wrote the post below makes a very good point. With Vram requirements sky rocketing right now it's better to buy a better (but bottlenecked) card with lots of vram than it is to buy a worse (but not bottlenecked) card, because the better card will stay relevent longer. (also, better bottlenecked card will still perform just as well (or better) than a worse non bottlenecked card. A bottleneck is a limit on performance, not a penalty to performance.)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Only thing you will see is a minor asset loading time. The so called "bottle necks" occur when the application (in your case game) is dependent on CPU features to decode/decompress assets. In most scenarios, you wont see anything more than a few % difference. I would over speck GPU regardless, it will help very much in the long run when you decide to upgrade your CPU

For most game titles, your video card will be the bottleneck. You shouldn't worry about CPU bottlenecking unless you run a bunch of things in the background AND/OR you have very specific use cases that you know are CPU dependant AND/OR you're in the $1000+ on a GPU category. 

A lot of the "you need a fast CPU" mentality is from 1996. At that point in time A LOT of the video rendering pipeline was done on the CPU. It's been nearly 30 years and the mentality is still kind of going for some crazy reason. 
Like.... don't spend $50 on your CPU and $1500 on the video card... but here and now a $100ish CPU will get you most of the way to where a $700 CPU is. 

For laughs, let's assume that the demands on a 

3060Ti at 1440p are similar to a 3080 at 4K.... 

In this case the 10700k is getting 97% of the performance of the 13900k
Just be aware that YMMV based on use case.

Factorio LOVES certain CPUs. CSGO will hit 200 FPS run on a potato. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-13900k/20.html
relative-performance-games-38410-2160.png

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

14 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Depend on what games you play imo. 
What is your RAM configuration?

16gb ddr4. It only runs at 2133 mhz. Will that hold back a more powerful gpu?

32 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

16gb ddr4. It only runs at 2133 mhz. Will that hold back a more powerful gpu?

That's pretty slow RAM. I just bought a 32GB Corsair Vengeance CAS 16 DDR4-3200 kit for $69 last month and Best Buy and Amazon both have that kit for $65 right now:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-lpx-cmk32gx4m2e3200c16-32gb-2pk-x-16gb-3200mhz-ddr4-c16-dimm-desktop-memory-black/6448611.p?skuId=6448611

Though I bought DDR4-3200 because I'm using a locked processor (i5-12400F) and the memory controller can't run DDR4-3600 without crashes in Gear 1 (eg full speed on the memory controller) since I can't up the voltage to the memory controller on a locked chip. So you might be able to go DDR4-3600 fine with an unlocked chip.

Anyways, RAM is dirt cheap right now so might as well get how much you think you'll need for the life of the system. I'd just buy a new 32GB kit rather than mix fast RAM and slow RAM to run at slow RAM speeds. Your cpu is plenty for a 6750 XT, no worries about bottlenecks with an unlocked 10th gen i7.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's pretty slow RAM. I just bought a 32GB Corsair Vengeance CAS 16 DDR4-3200 kit for $69 last month and Best Buy and Amazon both have that kit for $65 right now:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-lpx-cmk32gx4m2e3200c16-32gb-2pk-x-16gb-3200mhz-ddr4-c16-dimm-desktop-memory-black/6448611.p?skuId=6448611

Though I bought DDR4-3200 because I'm using a locked processor (i5-12400F) and the memory controller can't run DDR4-3600 without crashes in Gear 1 (eg full speed on the memory controller) since I can't up the voltage to the memory controller on a locked chip. So you might be able to go DDR4-3600 fine with an unlocked chip.

Anyways, RAM is dirt cheap right now so might as well get how much you think you'll need for the life of the system. I'd just buy a new 32GB kit rather than mix fast RAM and slow RAM to run at slow RAM speeds. Your cpu is plenty for a 6750 XT, no worries about bottlenecks with an unlocked 10th gen i7.

I was pretty sure my RAM could run faster than that. Maybe something else is holding it back, but idk. I just looked it up and my motherboard can support up to 3600 mhz. I think maybe my cpu only support like 2933 mhz or something. That's obviously still significantly better than the 2133 it's currently running at. So maybe I'll just grab some 3200 mhz RAM so it runs at its max. Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

I was pretty sure my RAM could run faster than that. Maybe something else is holding it back, but idk. I just looked it up and my motherboard can support up to 3600 mhz. I think maybe my cpu only support like 2933 mhz or something. That's obviously still significantly better than the 2133 it's currently running at. So maybe I'll just grab some 3200 mhz RAM so it runs at its max. Thoughts?

3200 is really cheap right now so that's probably the way I'd go, especially if I just wanted to turn on the XMP profile and forget it. And definitely go for 32GB as 16GB is starting to get outdated and DDR4 is just so cheap right now no reason not to. For instance The Last of Us Part 1 was nearly maxing out my 16GB of system RAM with everything else closed before I upgraded to 32GB last month.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

3200 is really cheap right now so that's probably the way I'd go, especially if I just wanted to turn on the XMP profile and forget it. And definitely go for 32GB as 16GB is starting to get outdated and DDR4 is just so cheap right now no reason not to. For instance The Last of Us Part 1 was nearly maxing out my 16GB of system RAM with everything else closed before I upgraded to 32GB last month.

Sweet thanks! I'll do that. Quick question though: what does the XMP profile do?

54 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

Sweet thanks! I'll do that. Quick question though: what does the XMP profile do?

You just set the xmp profile in your bios for an automatic ram overclock based on the speed the ram has been validated for. If you don't all ddr4 will run 2133 speed.

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You just set the xmp profile in your bios for an automatic ram overclock based on the speed the ram has been validated for. If you don't all ddr4 will run 2133 speed.

Lol ok after checking the bios I in fact did not have my xmp profile enabled, so now it's running at 3000 mhz. That's definitely helpful. I'll still consider a ram upgrade just because it's so cheap right now so it'd be a good time to jump up to 32gb, but it's not as dire as I thought.