Who provides internet here?

Leo_DJ

Hello.

I moved to a new flat, payed for an internet and when a technician came to connect me, he told me that there is already someone connected. And he is not allowed to tell me who, who is the provider and the company is not going to take any actions to inform the old provider that there is someone already paying for internet they don't use.

Is there a way to find out at least who is the old provider?

Many thanks.

Edit: I pay rent, the flat is not really mine, my landlord don't know what provider was there before.

What you can do to find out, depends on the country you live in. The easiest way is to simply take it up with the landlord. Tell them that you tried setting up an internet connection and you got told of because you already have connection.

If you bought the flat. It's yours. Tell the mechanic to set up your plan instead. Old plan be damned.

Who's paying for it then??

26 minutes ago, FrowningHippo said:

What you can do to find out, depends on the country you live in. The easiest way is to simply take it up with the landlord. Tell them that you tried setting up an internet connection and you got told of because you already have connection.

If you bought the flat. It's yours. Tell the mechanic to set up your plan instead. Old plan be damned.

Sorry, I edited the topic

if the modem has WPS, just connect to it that way if your device supports it..

talking to the landlord is a good idea too, he will know who lived there in the past, and can contact them and let them know they are paying for internet still.

12 minutes ago, mmk said:

Who's paying for it then??

That's the question 🤷

2 minutes ago, Leo_DJ said:

That's the question 🤷

dumb that the ISP wont tell you who is paying for internet tho.

edit: why wouldnt they (the ISP) contact the previous owner for you 

8 minutes ago, SONIC122 said:

if the modem has WPS, just connect to it that way if your device supports it..

talking to the landlord is a good idea too, he will know who lived there in the past, and can contact them and let them know they are paying for internet still.

There is no modem, I have my own. There is just an ethernet socket ona wall.

39 minutes ago, Leo_DJ said:

Edit: I pay rent, the flat is not really mine, my landlord don't know what provider was there before.

A good landlord should have contact information on his tenants. Ask him to contact the previous tenants to notify them that they're still paying for a connection that they're no longer using so a formal contract termination can take place.

2 minutes ago, Leo_DJ said:

There is no modem, I have my own. There is just an ethernet socket ona wall.

Are you in the EU/UK?

8 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

A good landlord should have contact information on his tenants. Ask him to contact the previous tenants to notify them that they're still paying for a connection that they're no longer using so a formal contract termination can take place.

Are you in the EU/UK?

EU, Czechia

21 minutes ago, Leo_DJ said:

EU, Czechia

Have you tried just plugging your router into the port and seeing if it works?  Or does it require a login?

If its being paid for then you might as well use it if possible, surely the old tenants will cancel it eventually and then you can order your own.

I do agree its silly though, if its in your property you should have the right to cancel any existing service, even if its not registered to you.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7