Screwdriver Confiscated

deathrow

Was going on an international trip with my LTT backpack and screwdriver, went to 3 different countries on a plane and all was good, on the way back I was forced to throw away my black shaft LTT screwdriver.

Checked all the rules and should have been allowed, guess the security person was having a bad day

Beware

Not sure what country you’re from but this was a very straight-forward Google search for Americans..

IMG_2901.jpeg

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

There's a warning on the store page.

WARNING: Not compliant with airport security restrictions in some countries (including but not limited to US and Canada). Verify all security/travel restrictions before traveling with your screwdriver!

Storing it in your checked luggage would be better than carry on, though I would recommend not taking the screwdriver with you when travelling by plane.

3 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Not sure what country you’re from but this was a very straight-forward Google search for Americans..

IMG_2901.jpeg

The LTT screwdriver is longer than 7"

Total length (bit clip closed): 213.1mm (8.4")

Which is prohibited in carry on by the TSA.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/screwdriver-longer-7-inches

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Total length (bit clip closed): 213.1mm (8.4")

Which is prohibited in carry on by the TSA.

Yes, that’s what I meant by my reply.

But your reply is much more professional 🙂

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

was there a reason you felt the need to carry it on the plane?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

was there a reason you felt the need to carry it on the plane?

I've taken plenty of trips with only a backpack, so I'd have nowhere else to store a screwdriver. so that would be my reason to carry it on the plane, with no other luggage to put it in. However I have a smaller screwdriver that is within the acceptable length, so never been an issue for me.

9 hours ago, deathrow said:

Checked all the rules and should have been allowed, guess the security person was having a bad day

I don't think I've ever seen any airport security allow that big of a screwdriver, I mean I've gotten through security with things that should've been confiscated (nothing major, just accidental stuff I forgot in my bag.) making it through security with something doesn't mean those things are actually "allowed"

5 hours ago, deathrow said:

the security official told me it was good, which is confusing

Yea, I don't trust the word of people when it comes to stuff like this, I've experienced multiple instances of people saying different things regarding the same issue. not specifically airport security just in general, so I prefer to have something officially in writing. could you share the rules you read? I'd be interested in seeing where you got the confirmation that you could bring it on a plane in the first place.

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

Once I was trying to travel for work, had a knife in my jeans carpenter pants side pocket.  Went through metal detector, body detector, wand and we just couldnt figure out what was causing the beep lol.

They decided to just let me past and on my plane, about 3 minutes later while putting my shoes on I felt it in my pocket I was like WTF lol.  I threw it away so not to have further issues.  Dont know why just decided to share this story 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

21 hours ago, Spotty said:

That's what SHE said *wink* *wink*

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

16 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Once I was trying to travel for work, had a knife in my jeans carpenter pants side pocket.  Went through metal detector, body detector, wand and we just couldnt figure out what was causing the beep lol.

They decided to just let me past and on my plane, about 3 minutes later while putting my shoes on I felt it in my pocket I was like WTF lol.  I threw it away so not to have further issues.  Dont know why just decided to share this story 

Happened to me once when I visited Japan.

Brought a knife that can be folded into a credit card shape in my checked bags, when it was time to go home, I forgot it's still in my wallet.

Stopped by security at Xray station, the security checked my wallet, then got confused because he couldn't find it. In the end the guy let me go while tilting his head sideways.

I only remembered when I opened my wallet to buy something at the duty-free shops.

I was like "OOOOOOOOOO I SEE NOW WHY HE CHECKED MY WALLET !! I'M A DUMBASS"

Lucky shit it didn't became a big problem @_@

image.png.4a534ca24bb98c3018dc8f1de62e9990.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I got the LTT screwdriver specifically to replace my previous ratcheting screwdriver that was confiscated at the airport.  Forgot it was in my backpack when I packed.  At least in the US, when they confiscate stuff like that the TSA should offer to let you ship it for a highly inflated price (~$30 for my screwdriver, which I declined because it wasn't worth that much).  

If I had a black shaft LTT driver, I would have paid it.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

lol, it feels like Alex is responding to this thread (video is time-coded)

I'm just confused how I got through 3 different airports with no issues 😕

On 5/31/2023 at 9:40 PM, deathrow said:

I think every airport security worker interprets the rules their own way. In this interview with Jason Sudeikis, he talks about his leatherman and how it was confiscated after years of traveling (video is time-coded).

On 5/31/2023 at 7:40 PM, deathrow said:

We were traveling internationally once when, several flights into our trip, my wife's tiny little keyring pocket knife was confiscated.  I don't know how many security people ignored or missed it.  I'm not even sure that tiny thing had a knife in it.