So I had an idea...

So you know how some people stickerbomb their cases? And others might do the same thing but with little fridge magnets or company badges (personally, I have a magnetic metal ASUS logo on my case), anyway, the back side panel of a pc case has a lot of surface area. I also realized that it gets very hot. 

Would it be a dumb idea to get a massive, low profile heatsink with a fridge-magnet-type back, and stick that to the back side panel? My brain says its stupid but my heart says do it.EFA24857-CF16-4043-885E-5A0B7826CF4D.thumb.jpeg.0da2088b05c2f0857eeb6b3f9e13fcca.jpegF58564C6-9E3C-45A3-9A77-B3EAC0775A4E.thumb.jpeg.df843ab808d376d417bbe47c53ccb2b5.jpeg

And yes I am one of those heathens that uses a Razer Tartarus d-pad for movement in FPSs. We exist. I'm sorry.

i know the case is metal, but the airflow through the case should be WAY more than sufficient to cool everything inside of it and the case itself. If your case is getting that hot on the backside panel when there are no heat generating components on that side id be concerned

Just now, ReNForce said:

And yes I am one of those heathens that uses a Razer Tartarus d-pad for movement in FPSs. We exist. I'm sorry.

So thats why you are always bottom of the leaderboards, makes sense now. 😄

Stop listening to your heart, unless its in pain then i suggest a Maybe. Wont benefit anything by putting it there, these systems get hot, and as long as the fans are doing their work thats all you need. Also make sure you dont have a SATA SSD or other power plug right on that side of the panel.

5 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

i know the case is metal, but the airflow through the case should be WAY more than sufficient to cool everything inside of it and the case itself. If your case is getting that hot on the backside panel when there are no heat generating components on that side id be concerned

The system never thermal throttles under normal heavy load, but it does get considerably warm to the touch. I assumed that was normal.

Just now, ReNForce said:

The system never thermal throttles under normal heavy load, but it does get considerably warm to the touch. I assumed that was normal.

maybe im just not noticing it, but i can take my front side panel (the side with the components) off, and put my hand in there and it isnt what i would call considerably warm. Obviously if i touch where the VRM heatsinks are or something it would be a bad time, but nothing but the hottest components are warm at all.

2 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

maybe im just not noticing it, but i can take my front side panel (the side with the components) off, and put my hand in there and it isnt what i would call considerably warm. Obviously if i touch where the VRM heatsinks are or something it would be a bad time, but nothing but the hottest components are warm at all.

What gpu do you typically run? The 6800xt OC is pretty power hungry for what it gives in performance

I would assume that the panel over time simply warms up. I have placed a thermal sensor on my panel in the past to check as I also thought it was a bit too warm and discovered it was only 37c. So I put the thermal probe back in the box and simply ignore it. After all where I live 37c is a typical summer day. 

That part of the case may be getting warm just by having the warm air exhausted out the back, both the primary exhaust fan as well as the power supply exhaust fan.

Increasing mass will generally add to the amount of time it takes to overheat but will not do much of anything for removing heat from the system.

What you want is either more airflow (more cool air to displace the warm air) or more surface area to allow the air to remove more heat as it passes by.  It's not super-clear from the photo but that case might be sitting quite close to the table surface.  Power supply (looks like Corsair RM850x?) fan is an intake and is at the bottom face of the case, possibly very close to the table.  Is it suffocating?