Radeon flagship is back, this summer, in the form of a graphics card

brownninja97

So what does this mean exactly? Just more VRAM? 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Okay. Why should I be excited with this over an 800 series?

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Okay. Why should I be excited with this over an 800 series?

Nvidia doesnt have this kind of tech planned for their gpus till 2016-2017. This will mean more vram and significantly higher bandwidth which will help alot with higher resolutions/ bigger games getting higher and higher res textures. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

This is just a rumor right now. AMD did announce that they will begin production of "certain GPUs" at Globalfondries this year. But we don't really know the nature of these GPUs if indeed they're high-end, mid-range or even a new flagship product.

If this turns out to be accurate it would be really funny seeing AMD get to stacked DRAM almost two years ahead of Nvidia after Nvidia continually touted stacked DRAM as the key feature of their Volta architecture which has been canned and replaced by Pascal.

My theory is they canned Volta because HMC (Hybrid Memory Cube) wasn't ready and they switched to HBM which was co-developed by SK Hynix & AMD.

Theoretically if there was a 295X w/ a full fledged 3072 SP Hawaii chip & stacked DRAM to come out, how would it perform compared to the 290X? 

These rumors are likely false. The earliest tools for die stacking are for 20nm, there are no die stacking tools for 28nm.
http://www.globalfoundries.com/newsroom/press-releases/2012-press-releases/2014/03/01/globalfoundries-fab-8-adds-tools-to-enable-3d-chip-stacking-at-20nm-and-beyond

The only one that cheap is PNY's and arguably its for good reasons. You couldn't pay me to use one of their GPUs. The only brands I would buy from are EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte and maybe Msi.

PNY isn't terrible, they're just... Not as big, per say.

I'd spend the extra $50 on EVGA for their warranty anyway.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Theoretically if there was a 295X w/ a full fledged 3072 SP Hawaii chip & stacked DRAM to come out, how would it perform compared to the 290X?

Where did the general acceptance that Hawaii has some chores lasted off and that the full chip has 3072 cores come from?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Where did the general acceptance that Hawaii has some chores lasted off and that the full chip has 3072 cores come from?

From analyzing die shots. This is not something unusual in the world of silicon. Both Nvidia and AMD have to balance performance goals with ease of mass scale manufacturing.

They have no reason to release fully unlocked Hawai because the current models are already able to compete with Nvidia. If they release a fully unlocked Hawai chip sure it would be faster but it would also mean weaker yields and less supply. So they are comfortable with the current model line up...

From analyzing die shots. This is not something unusual in the world of silicon. Both Nvidia and AMD have to balance performance goals with ease of mass scale manufacturing.

They have no reason to release fully unlocked Hawai because the current models are already able to compete with Nvidia. If they release a fully unlocked Hawai chip sure it would be faster but it would also mean weaker yields and less supply. So they are comfortable with the current model line up...

if I remember right the guy took the picture and then extrapolated based on the physical size of the die. isn't this pretty sketchy? I mean I'd personally love a 295 that blows away nvidia, but... even I know that that sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo bullshit.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

if I remember right the guy took the picture and then extrapolated based on the physical size of the die. isn't this pretty sketchy?

No more sketchy than just assuming that 290x is a Fully unlocked Hawai. Because we have no information suggesting that it is (either official or unofficial). These die shots are the only clues we have.

No more sketchy than just assuming that 290x is a Fully unlocked Hawai. Because we have no information suggesting that it is (either official or unofficial). These die shots are the only clues we have.

fair enough. of course, I want it to be true but at this point I'm honestly not sure if I want to be optimistic.

Daily Driver:

This is just a rumor right now. AMD did announce that they will begin production of "certain GPUs" at Globalfondries this year. But we don't really know the nature of these GPUs if indeed they're high-end, mid-range or even a new flagship product.

If this turns out to be accurate it would be really funny seeing AMD get to stacked DRAM almost two years ahead of Nvidia after Nvidia continually touted stacked DRAM as the key feature of their Volta architecture which has been canned and replaced by Pascal.

My theory is they canned Volta because HMC (Hybrid Memory Cube) wasn't ready and they switched to HBM which was co-developed by SK Hynix & AMD.

I just emailed Roy Taylor and it seems this is nothing but a rumor just as you speculated.NobBL8U.png

I just emailed Roy Taylor and it seems this is nothing but a rumor just as you speculated.

Now that's a good reading, thanks for sharing.

Good find, Roy is such a gent.

Lol he really is, I'm even friends with him on Battelog. I don't get it though wasnt it pretty much confirmed that the 780 Ti has the performance crown? 

Now that's a good reading, thanks for sharing.

Haha no problem. Its crazy how I can just email AMD's VP of Sales and get a reply lol. I'm even his friend on battlelog xD

Awesome!
(...because details are too complicated but I understood the IMPROVEMENT part :D )

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

Lol he really is. I don't get it though wasnt it pretty much confirmed that the 780 Ti has the performance crown? 

In 2560x1440 yes, in 4K it's more of a toss up but you can argue that the 290X wins on account of the larger memory capacity and lower price point. Remember AMD marketed the 290X is a GPU for 4K gaming.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but JJ from Asus did hint at an "awesome" new graphics card very much like the 295X2 that Asus is working on during the Tek Syndicate Q&A. He confirmed that they're not making a non-reference version of the 295X2 which makes me think they're working on a dual GPU R9 290 card. He stated Q3/Q4 as the release date.

http://youtu.be/pqpjReVAHYM?t=16m47s

Haha no problem. Its crazy how I can just email AMD's VP of Sales and get a reply lol. I'm even his friend on battlelog xD

Try to do the same on Nvidia's side... lol

In 2560x1440 yes, in 4K it's more of a toss up but you can argue that the 290X wins on account of the larger memory capacity and lower price point. Remember AMD marketed the 290X is a GPU for 4K gaming.

Yea I just wish the 295 wasnt soo expensive. The 290x has come down to 550$ and is no longer overpriced due to the litecoin mining craze anymore. Hopefully the 295 comes down to something like 1200$ sometime in the future. 

Yea I just wish the 295 wasnt soo expensive. The 290x has come down to 550$ and is no longer overpriced due to the litecoin mining craze anymore. Hopefully the 295 comes down to something like 1200$ sometime in the future. 

I would buy it for $1,200 :mellow:  :wub:

I would buy it for $1,200 :mellow:  :wub:

I think a lot of people would. And if what happened with the 7990 going as low as 600$ on Newegg & Amazon last year is any indication, it is very possible. I doubt they're going to sell very many for 1500$. Lol at least its not as bad as the TRIPLE SLOT, AIR COOLED and UNDERCLOCKED Titan Z. xD 

I just emailed Roy Taylor and it seems this is nothing but a rumor just as you speculated.

Roy is a nice guy at heart but he is also a massive troll of sorts on social media, I wouldn't really trust that particular email either. Why would he tell you to not buy a product now and then potentially get the better version if it is indeed coming out?

Roy is a nice guy at heart but he is also a massive troll of sorts on social media, I wouldn't really trust that particular email either. Why would he tell you to not buy a product now and then potentially get the better version if it is indeed coming out?

I thought about that, but what reason would he have to lie, and do something like that to a customer asking him for advice? Not to mention AMD wouldnt get anymore money from me either the retailer would. He absolutely would have zero reason to "troll" me and say yeah go ahead and buy something that's out now with him knowing they're releasing another card in a few months. Even if they somehow did get money from my purchase it would make literally zero impact on their business or benefit them more in any way. This is AMD's VP of Sales, who i'm sure has some kind of professionalism and moral standards.