Arctic Silver, Corsair TM30, Thermalright TF4, out of those what is better?

atxcyclist

I am putting together a 2700x machine and bought a Thermalright Assassin X120 which came with the TF4, but I have the other two pastes sitting around. Any reason not to just go with the included stuff? I’m an old fart and have been using Arctic Silver for maybe 20 years now, but I know improvements have been made to thermal compounds since then.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

10 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I am putting together a 2700x machine and bought a Thermalright Assassin X120 which came with the TF4, but I have the other two pastes sitting around. Any reason not to just go with the included stuff? I’m an old fart and have been using Arctic Silver for maybe 20 years now, but I know improvements have been made to thermal compounds since then.

I am also a sucker for Arctic silver, but realistically it won’t matter at all. I use thermal grizzly now for my own builds, but still have AC laying around for when I need it randomly. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

AS5 is still good. I would try the TF4 it came with. Spread it nice and thin and you should be good to go 🤘

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I also actually like Arctic Silver. I pretty much keep that and Kryonaut on hand.  I use Kryonaut on pretty much all my stuff, and anything expensive. Anything else gets Artic Silver. I know personally I get better results out of Arctic Silver than a lot of newer stuff, despite what some of the tests say. I threw out some Noctua NT-H1, as  it really was kind of poor performing comparatively, and I tried a couple times. (Again just my experience). 

56 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The only reason Arctic Silver has been a bane of existence is that its conductive. It still holds up well, thermal paste tech hasnt moved massively.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

17 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

The only reason Arctic Silver has been a bane of existence is that its conductive. 

We are all talking about Arctic Silver 5 right?

Artic Silver 5 Specification Page:

Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Yeah, i forgot that both of those terms are completely different thing. Conductivity is the ability for it to directly deliver elecricity while Capacity is the ability for it to store. But yeah my point still stands, it has smaller error window.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

AS5 is still good. I would try the TF4 it came with. Spread it nice and thin and you should be good to go 🤘

I like the TF4, it actually spreads well with my old standard guitar pick that I have used for years. I’m actually pretty happy with this cooler too, the mounting is way better than the slew of Hyper 212 variants I’ve been using.

And just to spice the post up, a picture of my spread because I know people love talking about that:

0999FD1C-EF4B-425A-809F-CD278F607BEA.jpeg

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1