Corsair RM vs RMx cable compatability

I have a RM650 (bought in early 2020) currently in my system and want to upgrade to a RMx850. Do I need to pull out all the cables in my system or can I just plug my existing cables into the rmx850? I looked at the cable compatibility chart on corsair's site and left confused. I think they're the same but I would like to double check. I'd like to keep using my existing individually sleeved if possible but that's a small price to pay for not blowing up my system. 

9 minutes ago, Wunderbolts said:

I have a RM650 (bought in early 2020) currently in my system and want to upgrade to a RMx850. Do I need to pull out all the cables in my system or can I just plug my existing cables into the rmx850? I looked at the cable compatibility chart on corsair's site and left confused. I think they're the same but I would like to double check. I'd like to keep using my existing individually sleeved if possible but that's a small price to pay for not blowing up my system. 

YES. You need to change all of the cables.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

They're the same cables, and you can just reuse them

11 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

According to...? Are you saying Corsair is wrong about what cables each of their PSUs use?

:)

16 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Thats not necessarily true.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

They're the same cables, and you can just reuse them

According to...? Are you saying Corsair is wrong about what cables each of their PSUs use?

Just now, Hinjima said:

Thats not necessarily true.

Different PSUs have different Pinouts and using wrong cables can supply different amounts of voiltages.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 minute ago, FI Fheonix said:

Different PSUs have different Pinouts and using wrong cables can supply different amounts of voiltages.

So? OP told us exactly which PSU they are changing from and to, and it takes seconds to verify that they use the same cables. 

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

So? OP told us exactly which PSU they are changing from and to, and it takes seconds to verify that they use the same cables. 

According to Corsair, they do use the same cables, so I was wrong. I guess it isn't an issue. When switching from one brand of PSU to another brand, then it is absolutely necessary to change the cables.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

Just now, FI Fheonix said:

According to Corsair, they do use the same cables, so I was wrong. I guess it isn't an issue. When switching from one brand of PSU to another brand, then it is absolutely necessary to change the cables.

Yup, when switching brands, definitely!  Corsair is very nice when it comes to using the same cables on multiple different PSU's from their range, so is it with seasonic on certain PSU's as well.

Just now, Hinjima said:

Yup, when switching brands, definitely!  Corsair is very nice when it comes to using the same cables on multiple different PSU's from their range, so is it with seasonic on certain PSU's as well.

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Again, my fault. I will make sure to verify my information next time.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

4 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Again, my fault. I will make sure to verify my information next time.

No Problem! We all make mistakes and continue to learn. Good to see someone owning up to a mistake 🙂 

12 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

In ideal land yes, but when pinouts are shared you do with what you have especially when youre already 100-150$ down on a custom cable kit.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.