SanDisk accused of covering up Macs killing 4TB Extreme Pro SSDs to not upset Apple

AlTech

Notes: Whilst Louis Rossmann discussed this topic in this video, he cites various sources of his own which helped him make the video. He's not the original/primary source.

Summary

Sandisk is accused of covering up unexpected drive failures of their 4TB Extreme Pro portable SSDs and refusing to publicly discuss the drive failure issues despite applying new firmware to fix the issue in new store bought devices and not fixing the issue (yet) in existing devices.

When asked at NAB 2023 if Sandisk would advise their customers to update their firmware, SanDisk said they would not. They do not want their customers knowing about new firmware if new firmware even comes to prevent existing drives from dying.

Symptoms of Drive Issue: Sustained write leads to drive failure. Data only sometimes recoverable.

Affected Models: SanDisk 4TB Extreme Pro Portable SSD

Error: A Mac only (doesn't affect Windows or Linux) firmware Encryption Bit flip error.

It is believed that using the device on a Mac, because of a Mac only (doesn't affect Windows or Linux) firmware Encryption Bit Flip error, causes the drive issues and ultimately the drive failure.

This brings us to the conversation I had in NAB show 2023 in Las Vegas last month. I got to speak with the Western Digital and SanDisk reps at their booth. I explained how I was very disappointed that the company had not acknowledge the 4TB drive issues and that I had sworn off purchasing any further products until this issue had been acknowledge and rectified. The lead male rep then proceeded to explain the issue, breaking the issue down into 4 main points:

1) The 4TB drive error had to be identified before any fixes could be generated - The error was identified and determined to be a Mac only firmware/controller encryption bit flip error

2) The error as described to me constantly run some kind of encryption check even when the computer is in sleep mode - This constant encryption query request stream was found to be over stressing the SSD controller chips and causing random bit flips. - I can't remember if this only applies to newer M1 or M2 Macs or all current Macs

3) Bit flip error was found to be an Encyrption flip which result in catastrophic failure loss - The bit flip causes the drive to become encrypted with no resulting encryption key being available - This is why no data can be recovered from drives that have experienced this error

4) Error resolution will be a firmware update for the affected SSD models which to my knowledge are only 4TB models - Supposedly they have applied this fix to new drives manufactured currently but to my knowledge they have not acknowledged publicly yet

5) I asked if this would be acknowledged publicly and was told EMPHATICALLY NO - They will only publish the firmware quietly. As per the rep, the company will not acknowledge or discuss publicly their findings or reasons for the firmware update

6) I asked if the error drives could be fixed with the firmware update and was told yes - But of course there's no recovering any drive data due to the encryption bit flip. Firmware will only make the drive usable again and no longer susceptible to the encryption bit flip error.

I can only assume that SanDisk does not want to antagonize Apple by publicly highlighting that Mac devices were the cause of the 4TB drive failures. I also assume that by only releasing the firmware update quietly they are attempting to avoid recall or refund of these drives.

My thoughts:

What a scumback thing to do. SanDisk should publicly explain the cause of these issues even if it causes embarrasment or upsets Apple. Covering this up in the hopes of sweeping this under the rug should never be allowed to work in this day and age with the internet.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

SanDisk should publicly explain the cause of these issues even if it causes embarrasment or upsets Apple.

Its not that, in corporate work these companies going at each others throats over this isnt good to public eye.

Or its becuase sandisk (western digital) doesn't want apple to lawsuit or B loose a business part.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

21 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Its not that, in corporate work these companies going at each others throats over this isnt good to public eye.

Or its becuase sandisk (western digital) doesn't want apple to lawsuit or B loose a business part.

They could just as easily face lawsuits from customers for not issuing a recall or not advising them to update their firmware.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Even newer Macs do not encrypt whatever external drives are connected to them. I find it odd that this issue is only allegedly coming from Macs when other drives connected to the same models of Mac do not seem to be affected at all. Where are all the other external drives blowing up? As such it does not seem like blaming Apple would be a good idea and it seems more likely that SanDisk shipped bad firmware and their engineers don't want to admit they missed something that every other OEM figured out. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Even newer Macs do not encrypt whatever external drives are connected to them. I find it odd that this issue is only allegedly coming from Macs when other drives connected to the same models of Mac do not seem to be affected at all. Where are all the other external drives blowing up? As such it does not seem like blaming Apple would be a good idea and it seems more likely that SanDisk shipped bad firmware and their engineers don't want to admit they missed something that every other OEM figured out. 

It sounds like the controller SanDisk put on the 4TB Extreme Pro SSD can't handle what macOS is doing to it.

On 5/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, AluminiumTech said:

They could just as easily face lawsuits from customers for not issuing a recall or not advising them to update their firmware.

True, I bet there is something more crazy...

I will just still use samsung t7 and t5.

I still use and trust sandisk sd cards.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang