Can a 5600H laptop with 8 GB ram run VMware?

I want to use Linux Mint MATE on my VMware workstation and its kinda the most important thing i need to do on my new laptop.

So im looking around,

27 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yes but ram is kinda low 16gb is really recommended even for everyday use

what about a 5500U with 16GB ram?

1 minute ago, BaidDSB said:

what about a 5500U with 16GB ram?

20-40% performance difference but for just running a vm doing not much and general tasks indistinguishable

The ram already makes this flat out better option

What laptop is it in?

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

20-40% performance difference but for just running a vm doing not much and general tasks indistinguishable

The ram already makes this flat out better option

What laptop is it in?

this. https://www.amazon.in/HP-15-6-inches-Micro-Edge-Anti-Glare-15s-eq2182AU/dp/B0B4N77Y34/ref=sr_1_5?crid=360SQV5E62M7A&keywords=16+gb+ram+laptop&qid=1684074722&sprefix=%2Caps%2C817&sr=8-5

other option is getting a 5600h laptop  and upgrading the ram. but i  dont know if those are upgradable or not https://www.amazon.in/HP-Graphics-Response-Backlit-15-fb0777AX/dp/B0BSG1S3GN/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=5600h%2Blaptop&qid=1684074806&sprefix=56%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-4&th=1

2 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Are you gaming or anything?

What are you actually doing?

Because these laptops are meant for ENTIRELY DIFFERENT usecases

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Are you gaming or anything?

What are you actually doing?

Because these laptops are meant for ENTIRELY DIFFERENT usecases

no i want to run VMWare on it to run linux mint for a job i do. i might game, but only on trips when im away from my PC.

What needs to run inside the VM?

You don't really need alot of CPU Performance for basic things, on my 4-core Desktop PC i sometimes have like 3-4 Linux VMs running at the same time, but not doing anything besides basics. Updating, Comparing both Distros, etc. I allow every VM to use 4 Cores, no issues with Performance. They just use the CPU Performance they actually need. So even if i allocate 4 Cores (with a 4-Core CPU) on 4 VMs each, and they all only use 5% CPU, only 20% CPU usage is gone for all 4 VMs. They take, what they need.

Ram is different. If i allocate 4gb Ram for a VM, it "takes up" 4gb Ram. 

Let me tell you, doing basic Office-Work with a 8gb Ram Windows Machine, the Ram is constantly full and already micromanaging with swapping and compressing.

Not much room left for a VM.

Make sure you can upgrade to 16gb Ram, or buy a 16gb Ram Laptop.

If you only do office Stuff, nothing that requires heavy Load of Performance (Rendering, 3D Work, Gaming, etc), a Ryzen 5 5500u is absolutely fine.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

What needs to run inside the VM?

You don't really need alot of CPU Performance for basic things, on my 4-core Desktop PC i sometimes have like 3-4 Linux VMs running at the same time, but not doing anything besides basics. Updating, Comparing both Distros, etc. I allow every VM to use 4 Cores, no issues with Performance. They just use the CPU Performance they actually need. So even if i allocate 4 Cores (with a 4-Core CPU) on 4 VMs each, and they all only use 5% CPU, only 20% CPU usage is gone for all 4 VMs. They take, what they need.

Ram is different. If i allocate 4gb Ram for a VM, it "takes up" 4gb Ram. 

Let me tell you, doing basic Office-Work with a 8gb Ram Windows Machine, the Ram is constantly full and already micromanaging with swapping and compressing.

Not much room left for a VM.

Make sure you can upgrade to 16gb Ram, or buy a 16gb Ram Laptop.

If you only do office Stuff, nothing that requires heavy Load of Performance (Rendering, 3D Work, Gaming, etc), a Ryzen 5 5500u is absolutely fine.

mostly browsing and banking stuff.

11 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

mostly browsing and banking stuff.

Then 2-3 Cores for Mint would be plenty, and probably only 2gb Ram (or 3). I can see this working on a 8gb machine, but it will be full Ram and the Machine will be swapping.
On Windows, i would check how big the Pagefile is, and maybe set it manually to 16gb (the System might probably set it to like only 3gb, it won't be able to swap more than 3gb then).

But depending on Model and price, 16gb is much much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I run virtualbox with Linux Mint cinnamon and can almost use it with 864MB memory in live-cd mode, which uses a lot more memory than installed mode.  1GB would work fine.

I run debian without a desktop (it boots to command line instead) and it uses 130MB of memory that way, but xfce loads with 256mb memory, and doesn't boot at all with much less for some reason so that is basically the minimum to boot Linux.  Firefox with xfce needs about 640mb to work well, and a swap partition inside the VM will allow the system to not completely freeze if there isn't enough.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.