Help with OS Install method

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
9 hours ago, bebejapes said:

nope its basically an oobe drive that i can just deploy to any hard drive.

Like a pre-setup install? They're are two main ways of installing an OS and both require you to do it, afaik there is no automatic software that will just install an OS on a new build/ uninitialized drive with zero effort, the two most popular ways to install an OS are: 1. Just using the installer USB, once installed it is in the OOBE/first time setup and you can just leave it there for the person to setup. Or 2. Setting up a template OS on another SSD or HDD and using it as a clone drive, then using cloning software in a portable OS such as Winpe and cloning the template OS to the new drive. However this option would take longer than a simple fresh install.

The only thing that I can think of that you may be looking for is running a PXE installer off of your network using Microsoft Configuration Manager. Which is typically only done by organizations to install enterprise. And requires quite a bit of setup and a dedicated ethernet lan setup for the computers. 

The quickest and easiest way to install a fresh copy of Windows and have it go into the OOBE/ first time setup is to just use an install USB, it takes 5 to 10 minutes if even that on a system with an SSD to get the install to where you are saying you want it. With 95% of that being the actual install time. If you're just wanting to leave it on the OOBE/ first time setup. Even if you were to setup a PXE Installer it would take the same amount of time for the install. 

i cant for the love of god remember the term or the software used to make a hard drive a preinstalled os for deployment to any system.

It's not rufus

it's when you get example a dell, hp or what ever computer and it boots up just asking for your login details.

11 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

i cant for the love of god remember the term or the software used to make a hard drive a preinstalled os for deployment to any system.

It's not rufus

it's when you get example a dell, hp or what ever computer and it boots up just asking for your login details.

Not sure about software to use, but you could search for unattended install.

5 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Not sure about software to use, but you could search for unattended install.

nope its definetly not that. i cant for the love of god remember what it's called.

Are you referring to when you buy an OEM Dell or HP computer and it boots into the Windows/ Operating System first time setup?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Are you referring to when you buy an OEM Dell or HP computer and it boots into the Windows/ Operating System first time setup?

yes sir that is the one.

5 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

oobe - out of box experience?

well example

when i prep an new hard drive and then deplot it to a new build it starts up and goes straight to oobe without doing F9.

6 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

yes sir that is the one.

1 minute ago, bebejapes said:

well example

when i prep an new hard drive and then deplot it to a new build it starts up and goes straight to oobe without doing F9.

You only get the OOBE/ first time setup of an Operating System if one is installed. HDDs and SSDs do not come with an OS preinstalled when you buy a new drive. OEM computers come with the OS preinstalled from the factory, that is why they have the OOBE/first time setup when you turn a new OEM computer on. If you put a new HDD/SSD into a computer you will need to use a USB flash drive with an OS installer on it to install an OS onto the computer. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

7 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You only get the OOBE/ first time setup of an Operating System if one is installed. HDDs and SSDs do not come with an OS preinstalled when you buy a new drive. OEM computers come with the OS preinstalled from the factory, that is why they have the OOBE/first time setup when you turn a new OEM computer on. If you put a new HDD/SSD into a computer you will need to use a USB flash drive with an OS installer on it to install an OS onto the computer. 

yeah im aware of that. there is a software used to deploy such an oobe.

19 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

well example

so u want help making a boot drive?

Just now, Simba1550 said:

so u want help making a boot drive?

9 hours ago, bebejapes said:

Like a pre-setup install? They're are two main ways of installing an OS and both require you to do it, afaik there is no automatic software that will just install an OS on a new build/ uninitialized drive with zero effort, the two most popular ways to install an OS are: 1. Just using the installer USB, once installed it is in the OOBE/first time setup and you can just leave it there for the person to setup. Or 2. Setting up a template OS on another SSD or HDD and using it as a clone drive, then using cloning software in a portable OS such as Winpe and cloning the template OS to the new drive. However this option would take longer than a simple fresh install.

The only thing that I can think of that you may be looking for is running a PXE installer off of your network using Microsoft Configuration Manager. Which is typically only done by organizations to install enterprise. And requires quite a bit of setup and a dedicated ethernet lan setup for the computers. 

The quickest and easiest way to install a fresh copy of Windows and have it go into the OOBE/ first time setup is to just use an install USB, it takes 5 to 10 minutes if even that on a system with an SSD to get the install to where you are saying you want it. With 95% of that being the actual install time. If you're just wanting to leave it on the OOBE/ first time setup. Even if you were to setup a PXE Installer it would take the same amount of time for the install. 

10 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

this is true ive ran a couple of test and fresh install is agreeable faster. 

i have a spare copy of a fresh oem drive which i will most likely clone and try deploying.

11 hours ago, bebejapes said:

this is true ive ran a couple of test and fresh install is agreeable faster. 

i have a spare copy of a fresh oem drive which i will most likely clone and try deploying.

If you're doing custom computers, I'd advise against cloning the OS from an OEM computer to them. OEM installs already have drivers and bloatware, they're not just fresh installs of Windows. For custom or new computers a fresh install is always better. The only time cloning an OEM OS to a computer will actually help out is if you're cloning to the same make and model computer as the preinstalled OEM drivers will clash with anything else. Hell, I advise to do a fresh install regardless even on OEM computers to get rid of all of the bloatware. 

Are you thinking of sysprep? Sysprep is used to generalize a Windows install for cloning/deployment to a different system.

7 hours ago, Egon3 said:

Are you thinking of sysprep? Sysprep is used to generalize a Windows install for cloning/deployment to a different system.

do you have a software in mind i can try out.

12 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you're doing custom computers, I'd advise against cloning the OS from an OEM computer to them. OEM installs already have drivers and bloatware, they're not just fresh installs of Windows. For custom or new computers a fresh install is always better. The only time cloning an OEM OS to a computer will actually help out is if you're cloning to the same make and model computer as the preinstalled OEM drivers will clash with anything else. Hell, I advise to do a fresh install regardless even on OEM computers to get rid of all of the bloatware. 

i agree but i cant remember for the love of me what method it was @Egon3 makes an interesting point.