Expo Food Options

TheBeardedCat

Hey y'all!
I'll be in Vancouver for the first time since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2020. I've been to Defcon every year since then, and always had problems with either finding somewhere to eat or waiting a very long time for reservations at all the places I *could* eat at.

What is the food situation at LTX? Would I be allowed to bring my own snacks in case I'm not able to eat anything nearby?

thanks!

1 hour ago, TheBeardedCat said:

Hey y'all!
I'll be in Vancouver for the first time since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2020. I've been to Defcon every year since then, and always had problems with either finding somewhere to eat or waiting a very long time for reservations at all the places I *could* eat at.

What is the food situation at LTX? Would I be allowed to bring my own snacks in case I'm not able to eat anything nearby?

thanks!

I'd don't know about LTT, but i'd start looking for restaurants options early.

Waiting a very long time is a VERY common thing in Vancouver. 

I eat everything and I still have to go from place to place because the place I wanna go is more than a hour wait.

This is not a thing that happens on special occasions, this happens every weekend at normal meal hours.

If I remember correctly Convention Centre staff (who are separate from the people staffing LTX) aren't too friendly to it because they want to sell you overpriced hot dogs and sandwiches, but if they do make a stink about it, I think they might give you an exception if you explain yourself. I have been able to take Subway sandwiches from the nearby food court into lines at AniRevo though.

they/them

my friends call me sod

Laptop (Main): MacBook Pro 14-inch "Iris" - M2 Max | 30-core GPU | 32GB DDR5-6400

Desktop: "Memoria Mk. 3.1" - Ryzen 9 5900X | RX 6800 XT (XFX MERC 319) | Strix X570-F | 64GB DDR4-3200

• 5 weeks later...

The nearby restaurant you want is probably MeeT in Gastown

As for eating at the venue, for other events I've been to there, I've just carried in whatever food with me and only had an issue once at a fighting game tournament/pro wrestling event where the organizers paid for the convention center security. Security was searching everyone super thoroughly and wouldn't even let people bring things like lighters and screwdrivers in. I doubt LTX will have that. 

On 5/14/2023 at 2:55 AM, TheBeardedCat said:

Hey y'all!

While I don't have relatives with celiac disease itself I do have relatives who have wheat intolerance, when we went to Vancouver in 2011 it was one of the easier cities to find good meals that were gluten-free.

On 5/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, sodapone said:

If I remember correctly Convention Centre staff (who are separate from the people staffing LTX) aren't too friendly to it because they want to sell you overpriced hot dogs and sandwiches, but if they do make a stink about it, I think they might give you an exception if you explain yourself. I have been able to take Subway sandwiches from the nearby food court into lines at AniRevo though.

I know the Convention Centre has shops on the ground floor outside, but I'm not sure if there are actual concession stands within the venue itself. They for sure have catering if requested by the organizers (https://www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/services/food-and-beverage) but I doubt it'll be like a movie theatre where patrons can purchase snacks. It just doesn't fit in. Heck they even hold food expos there too.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 6/13/2023 at 9:46 AM, TannerMcCoolman said:

The nearby restaurant you want is probably MeeT in Gastown

As for eating at the venue, for other events I've been to there, I've just carried in whatever food with me and only had an issue once at a fighting game tournament/pro wrestling event where the organizers paid for the convention center security. Security was searching everyone super thoroughly and wouldn't even let people bring things like lighters and screwdrivers in. I doubt LTX will have that. 

100% this.

I went to the one on Main when I was in Vancouver (gf is vegan), and it was by far the best vegan/alternative diet food I've had yet.

...also why would you need a screwdriver at a pro wrestling event 😂

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

While it isn't everywhere there are lots of options for food in Vancouver to fit any diet.  Do a quick google search for terms like "celiac friendly" / "gluten free" + "restaurants" + "Vancouver BC" and you should have a decent list of options.

And there are always grocery stores to stock up on things you can eat.

Sorry I haven't been to Vancouver since I stopped being able to eat gluten, so I don't have any recommendations.

On 6/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I know the Convention Centre has shops on the ground floor outside, but I'm not sure if there are actual concession stands within the venue itself. They for sure have catering if requested by the organizers (https://www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/services/food-and-beverage) but I doubt it'll be like a movie theatre where patrons can purchase snacks. It just doesn't fit in. Heck they even hold food expos there too.

At AniRevo 2022 they had a permanent-looking concession stand at the bottom of the escalators leading into the vendor hall--I think that's going to be the main exhibition hall for LTX, but I don't know for certain because I've never actually been to LTX. Anyhow, it's officially staffed by VCEC employees.

they/them

my friends call me sod

Laptop (Main): MacBook Pro 14-inch "Iris" - M2 Max | 30-core GPU | 32GB DDR5-6400

Desktop: "Memoria Mk. 3.1" - Ryzen 9 5900X | RX 6800 XT (XFX MERC 319) | Strix X570-F | 64GB DDR4-3200