share exel doc while on a local offline network

hello is there a way i can share an excel doc on a local network without a server were 1 laptop is the editor and multipule ipads/tablets can view this in real time or would it have to be like a teamviewer thing or screen share thing.

many thanks in advance 

sam

2 minutes ago, Sam Pearson said:

hello is there a way i can share an excel doc on a local network without a server were 1 laptop is the editor and multipule ipads/tablets can view this in real time or would it have to be like a teamviewer thing or screen share thing.

many thanks in advance 

sam

Excel and Google Sheets both have this already, you just need to share the file with another user's Microsoft account, and then they will be able to work on the file same as you, or just read it if you want to

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Microsoft 365 allows for collaborative editing of the same document. Without Microsoft/Office 365 you cannot open the same document on multiple devices. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, AdamBGames said:

Excel and Google Sheets both have this already, you just need to share the file with another user's Microsoft account, and then they will be able to work on the file same as you, or just read it if you want to

even when there is no internet connection as i find that it doesnt work unless you have the internet attached to the network 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Microsoft 365 allows for collaborative editing of the same document. Without Microsoft/Office 365 you cannot open the same document on multiple devices. 

i find i cant do this unless i am connected to the internet i would like to know if there is a way to do this on an offline netowork

Do you need excel?If yes, I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do this.

There are self hosted google drive/m365 solution you can run offline, look at only office.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need excel?If yes, I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do this.

There are self hosted google drive/m365 solution you can run offline, look at only office.

thanks i will have a look 

If all the machines on this island network have Excel (or the spreadsheet application in LibreOffice, etc), you can just share a folder and drop the file there. It won’t update in real time, but I don’t know of a way to do that without spinning up a web server for a tool like OnlyOffice. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

59 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If all the machines on this island network have Excel (or the spreadsheet application in LibreOffice, etc), you can just share a folder and drop the file there. It won’t update in real time, but I don’t know of a way to do that without spinning up a web server for a tool like OnlyOffice. 

It won't work because OP wants to edit the document at the same time. 

When Excel opens a document it locks the file so that nobody else can edit it. There is a way around it, but the way that works is that excel loads a copy of the document and edits that. You won't be able to save to the original file, and even if you could, it would constantly overwrite the edits done by everyone else. 

OP, there is no way to do this. Only the web version of Excel has the necessary features to let multiple people edit the same document at the same time. Your only options are to use excel online (or a program that uses excel online, like Teams), or use a completely different solution (but that most likely require an online connection too). 

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It won't work because OP wants to edit the document at the same time. 

Shared workbooks might get close to the intended functionality, so long as everyone's running Excel.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/about-the-shared-workbook-feature-49b833c0-873b-48d8-8bf2-c1c59a628534

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/use-shared-workbook

I sold my soul for ProSupport.