Samsung Galaxy S8 Active incoming call issue - T-Mobile USA

Bitter

So all of my incoming calls are going to voice mail as if my phone is off. I get no missed call notification. I can make outgoing calls just fine.

Steps taken:

Reboot phone normally through power button menu

Reboot phone hard by holding power and volume key

Remove and reinsert the SIM card

Remove, blow out, and reinsert the SIM card

Replace the SIM card

Check my account status, account is active and in good standing

Reset network settings (person at the store suggested that)

Checked that I'm not on Do Not Disturb (normally I am but I've tried it turned off, that should still get a call notification or missed call notification)

Turning off Wifi calling

Checked and removed all blocked numbers (none of them were numbers calling me)

4/5 bars of service on 4G.

SMS texting and data are working fine, I can make outgoing calls. Notifications and sounds are working. Googling this just keeps telling me to pay my bill or turn off do not disturb or check that I have service.

The ONLY thing that happened around the same time I noticed this issue, I don't know if it's at the same time because I don't get many incoming calls anyway, was that some apps updated and one of them was eating my battery at about 10% an hour. Killing location permissions to several apps and uninstalling a few I don't use anymore resolved that issue. I also had some issues sending SMS messages for about a 10 days off and on where they would fail to send repeatedly then finally go through but that's cleared up and I just assumed it was some network issues.

Phone specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_active-8676.php

I realize that this an older phone but it's been reliable and durable, rugged phones now are all heckin chonk monsters and this one is fairly normal sized. I'm not really in a position nor do I have a desire to replace my phone right now but I'm starting to think it may be some kind of hardware issue. I haven't done a total wipe and reset of the phone yet because I want to rule out everything else first. Please, if there's a step I've missed or should try let me know!

43 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So all of my incoming calls are going to voice mail as if my phone is off. I get no missed call notification. I can make outgoing calls just fine.

Steps taken:

Reboot phone normally through power button menu

Reboot phone hard by holding power and volume key

Remove and reinsert the SIM card

Remove, blow out, and reinsert the SIM card

Replace the SIM card

Check my account status, account is active and in good standing

Reset network settings (person at the store suggested that)

Checked that I'm not on Do Not Disturb (normally I am but I've tried it turned off, that should still get a call notification or missed call notification)

Turning off Wifi calling

Checked and removed all blocked numbers (none of them were numbers calling me)

4/5 bars of service on 4G.

SMS texting and data are working fine, I can make outgoing calls. Notifications and sounds are working. Googling this just keeps telling me to pay my bill or turn off do not disturb or check that I have service.

The ONLY thing that happened around the same time I noticed this issue, I don't know if it's at the same time because I don't get many incoming calls anyway, was that some apps updated and one of them was eating my battery at about 10% an hour. Killing location permissions to several apps and uninstalling a few I don't use anymore resolved that issue. I also had some issues sending SMS messages for about a 10 days off and on where they would fail to send repeatedly then finally go through but that's cleared up and I just assumed it was some network issues.

Phone specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_active-8676.php

I realize that this an older phone but it's been reliable and durable, rugged phones now are all heckin chonk monsters and this one is fairly normal sized. I'm not really in a position nor do I have a desire to replace my phone right now but I'm starting to think it may be some kind of hardware issue. I haven't done a total wipe and reset of the phone yet because I want to rule out everything else first. Please, if there's a step I've missed or should try let me know!

For a bit, Google was auto denying calls when using Android auto, which I had happen a few times, also had it happen where the phone was ringing, and I could see that I was being called, but was quite literally not allowed to see who was calling or answer. Would open up the phone app and it would indicate that there was an incoming call, but no interface to answer the call. Eventually resolved itself with a somewhat regular update (Motorola). Would also just randomly call people. I'd be sitting there minding my own business and then it would start an outgoing call to somebody in my contacts. This has been like a perpetual haunting on my phones since like 2012 with my LG Cosmos touch 2 Slide.

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

For a bit, Google was auto denying calls when using Android auto, which I had happen a few times, also had it happen where the phone was ringing, and I could see that I was being called, but was quite literally not allowed to see who was calling or answer. Would open up the phone app and it would indicate that there was an incoming call, but no interface to answer the call. Eventually resolved itself with a somewhat regular update (Motorola). Would also just randomly call people. I'd be sitting there minding my own business and then it would start an outgoing call to somebody in my contacts. This has been like a perpetual haunting on my phones since like 2012 with my LG Cosmos touch 2 Slide.

No Android Auto here, I don't even get an incoming call notification or missed call notification.

Personally.... I would just backup EVERYTHING that's Yours from the phone...
Then Proper RESET/CLEAR (Reinstall the OS) and see if it still happens on a new 'stock' Operating System.

Rule out the old software installs/bugs at least.
Sooner you start sooner its finished.

But that's what I'd do anyway...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Personally.... I would just backup EVERYTHING that's Yours from the phone...
Then Proper RESET/CLEAR (Reinstall the OS) and see if it still happens on a new 'stock' Operating System.

Rule out the old software installs/bugs at least.
Sooner you start sooner its finished.

But that's what I'd do anyway...

Yeaaaahhhhh I know that's what I need to do, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something else to try first. Any suggestions on how or what software to make a good backup of my phone to PC with?

Hello, I created an account just to post since I had a friend who experienced the same issues, but found a fix after searching for days.

Go to

Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network mode

Change "Network mode" to "3G/2G (auto connect)"

I don't know much on the details but apparently T-Mobile is phasing out old networks(?) and preferring new tech:
https://community.t-mobile.com/android-9/samsung-phone-suddenly-will-not-receive-calls-45590

Another forum post that details similar issues around the same time as many others it seems:

https://community.t-mobile.com/android-9/frustrated-50831?postid=194506#post194506

Note: Factory resetting and/or running in Safe Mode does NOT resolve the issue.

8 minutes ago, Pengulon said:

Hello, I created an account just to post since I had a friend who experienced the same issues, but found a fix after searching for days.

Go to

I don't know much on the details but apparently T-Mobile is phasing out old networks(?) and preferring new tech:
https://community.t-mobile.com/android-9/samsung-phone-suddenly-will-not-receive-calls-45590

Another forum post that details similar issues around the same time as many others it seems:

https://community.t-mobile.com/android-9/frustrated-50831?postid=194506#post194506

My phone is LTE 4G so it should still be OK?

But I did that anyway and yes it rings now for incoming calls! Doesn't make sense unless that setting is labeled wrong. Like why would outgoing calls work still?? LTE 4G should handle calls. Problem is now my mobile data is on Edge not 4G!

Screenshot_20230518-134135_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20230518-134155_Call settings.jpg

Did it ever properly ring on 4G?

If so, sounds like an update really broke critical functionality of a phone, so smart!

Plug in your phone with a data usb cable (not just power) to your desktop computer or laptop.

Unlock the android screen, and turn on MTP file transfer.

Then, open file explorer on pc.  Click on your phone device on the pc, and if you have an sd card, you'll see phone memory and sd card.

Right click without opening the phone memory, and click copy.

Paste it into your computer where you want and watch it for uncopyable files or "system" type files that it asks to copy, and copy it all the best it will allow.

Do the same for the SD card if your device has one, my samsung a version back does, figured they didn't drop it right after.

Then do a reset.

Then, install your apps back in bulk in the play store, using the library section in the menu, so you don't have to manually search for them one by one.

Then, copy back the entire "phone memory, by pasting it back into the main area where it just says phone memory and right click paste.

It will probably ask you hundreds of times (so say "yes to all") if you want to overwrite, and say "yes" because these are the old files you had, containing configuration and app data, and media music podcasts screenshots and more.

Watch it for "uncopyable" files, as it may happen near the end of the transfer or multiple times, so just say "skip all" when this happens.

Then test incoming call rings again.

If you haven't applied too many updates yet, and locked your bootloader by way of draconian, dictator, authoritarianly-restrictive updates, then you can unlock the bootloader and install LineageOS to get newer versions of android but more importantly, mant new features, like modifying the screen color temperature, more orange or red than what "blue light filter" allows, among other cool stuff I could only guess at, because my bootloader is locked.

It sure would be nice to know HOW these companies and paid developers are locking the bootloader, and how to undue those changes.

I find it annoyinh, that if they are not going to support the device, to not allow the user to continue support after they pressure people to buy new devices.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

1 hour ago, E-waste said:

Did it ever properly ring on 4G?

If so, sounds like an update really broke critical functionality of a phone, so smart!

Plug in your phone with a data usb cable (not just power) to your desktop computer or laptop.

Unlock the android screen, and turn on MTP file transfer.

Then, open file explorer on pc.  Click on your phone device on the pc, and if you have an sd card, you'll see phone memory and sd card.

Right click without opening the phone memory, and click copy.

Paste it into your computer where you want and watch it for uncopyable files or "system" type files that it asks to copy, and copy it all the best it will allow.

Do the same for the SD card if your device has one, my samsung a version back does, figured they didn't drop it right after.

Then do a reset.

Then, install your apps back in bulk in the play store, using the library section in the menu, so you don't have to manually search for them one by one.

Then, copy back the entire "phone memory, by pasting it back into the main area where it just says phone memory and right click paste.

It will probably ask you hundreds of times (so say "yes to all") if you want to overwrite, and say "yes" because these are the old files you had, containing configuration and app data, and media music podcasts screenshots and more.

Watch it for "uncopyable" files, as it may happen near the end of the transfer or multiple times, so just say "skip all" when this happens.

Then test incoming call rings again.

If you haven't applied too many updates yet, and locked your bootloader by way of draconian, dictator, authoritarianly-restrictive updates, then you can unlock the bootloader and install LineageOS to get newer versions of android but more importantly, mant new features, like modifying the screen color temperature, more orange or red than what "blue light filter" allows, among other cool stuff I could only guess at, because my bootloader is locked.

It sure would be nice to know HOW these companies and paid developers are locking the bootloader, and how to undue those changes.

I find it annoyinh, that if they are not going to support the device, to not allow the user to continue support after they pressure people to buy new devices.

While I appreciate the help, the issue is as above. Some kind of backend change to the T-Mobile VoLTE setting is keeping the phone from getting incoming calls, forcing it to drop to 3G connectivity allows calls to ring in but also drops me to 3G data speeds which is sub-optimal. Likely at some point someone will fix this, at that point if there is a fix then my phone will work correctly again but being an older device it probably won't come from Samsung and may not happen soon. I'm not very interested in running LineageOS on my phone since it's an appliance I just need/expect to work. Tinkering is for things that aren't 'daily drivers' because there's always bugs, kinks, and problems to muck about and all I want is a phone that works to do phone things.

Got it, well, nobody is holding a gun to your head to tinker with settings.  If LineageOS (if your bootloader isn't locked by updates forcibly) is able to support the 4G LTE voice traffic properly, then it would fix the problem and keep you current on security patches.

Speaking of not wanting to tinker with things, 3G itself is almost gone, so I don't see how it is even working.  Might it be forcing the data rate to 3G speed or it is using this "Edge" network perhaps?

To help with 320 kilobit/s 3G data speeds at BEST, use the following tools:

Duckduckgo "web browser" but, NOT for the web browser, which is just chromium with tracking protection, instead inside its settings, turn on

app tracking protection

It is a very simple way tp immediately see exactly what apps were (but now blocked) sending data to the cloud.  Quite a nice feature.

You can also install a firewall/dns filter, and with all the new features including dns ip resolution caching, I must recommend

RethinkDNS

which is and has been for a while, a part of the Mozilla MVP program, and is 100% open-source.

You can combine it with

a free account of NextDNS.io and block all the stuff you don't want connecting, whether on wi-fi or cellular, and take back your device privacy.

As it currently is, Google knows IMMEDIATELY when you enable wi-fi or cellular data, and sends requests to them constantly as soon as you do.

If you don't want to take my word for it, download rethinDNS withour changing any settings and see how many Samsung domains connect as well.

I have a samsung phone too, I've already seen all the domains load, and blocked every last stinkin one of them!

Lastly, install a web browser addon like

Privacy badger, written by the EFF.org which allows you to easily allow or block any website on a website, you'll see what I mean when you do.

Or, use NoScript and turn the settings to

Untrusted

for all domains, and for convenience sake, enable "allow TLDs" I think that's an option, so things like menu and sometimes even text is rendered on a page.

So if you go to this website, it auto-enable the javascript and all for only this website name, not youtube and all the rest loading in the background.

You might think this is all unnecesary, won't make a bit of difference, but I know for a fact, that if you are limited to 320 kbit/s or less speeds, I can bet my life on it that you'll HALVE page loading speeds, if not more so.

ESPECIALLY the dns caching, whixh can take off 50-150ms per website name, every three minutes when visiting a page often.  The script blocking can alsp halve page loading times, the tests have alreafy been done, it's proven scientifically.

Loading only two domains on something like reddit, vs 10 is going to make a HUGE difference, so that is what I recommend.

From easiest to most complex

DuckDuckGo app with "app tracking protection" uses a VPN function but is not at all a vpn, but because of android can't be used with another firewall app or dns filter.

It can be combined with a web browser addon such as Privacy badger, DDG addon, or NoScript (my favorite)

Web browser addons work great on mobile, even on Firefox, or Fennec which has lots of settings to tinker with, restoring the famed "about:config" page

More complex is RethinkDNS.

The app has and somewhat promotes (the devs actually ask ypu not to use it, as it costs them money to run) their own rethinkdns service, which is great for bypassing censorship.  But it's not all the app can do.

The app has a DNS log which lists all website requests happening on your device, and keeps a huge, weeks long list of them if you don't clear it.

The firewall section lets you deny wifi and/or cellular to any user or system app, (which is nice that the duckduckgo app can selectively block the tracking domains for you, while allowing you to use the program, whereas this is a full block).

Also, if you use a service like Pi-hole locally (probably too much setup, if you don't like to tinker, you need a virtualbox VM, and in that, Ubuntu Linux, and in that, install pi-hole) or

Nextdns.io

You can block what you want, by going to the log section and copy pasting one-by-one, into the denylist page.

This will work on wi-fi and cellular and can teach you a lot about Android, Google and Samsung and how they are slowing down your malfunctioning settings and slower internet speeds.

I have a model before yours, on a different network, and 4G LTE works for me, so I'd bring it up to support.

Do NOT let them tell you your device is "too old" because that's bullshit, and get pressure in getting this minor issue fixed.  In the meantime, you can learn a lot about networking if you'd like.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2023 at 1:32 PM, Pengulon said:

Go to

You're not gonna believe this (actually you probably will) but it just started working again normally. I had a spam call on DND and then call again in the 5 minute ring through window and it rung. Partner accidentally called me, it run. Called myself from work phone lines, they rung too. Had a friend call me, also rang in normally. No idea why it's working now, phone hasn't had any system updates just normal installed software updates including several to 'carrier services' so perhaps one of those updates fixed it.