Should I NOT install some drivers?

Go to solution Solved by Ashleyyyy,

i don't think you realize how drivers work. if you don't install them, Windows will just not have a clue on what to do with that hardware. even if it's dorment unused, that can cause problems since the OS has no idea what it even is, so it doesn't know it's sitting unused either. 

you should ALWAYS install ALL drivers on a system, no matter if it's for hardware you're using or not. 

for example, if you don't use your iGPU, if you have drivers and Windows knows it's there but unused, Windows can put the chip in a low power state. that reduces power consumption and heat output. without drivers, the chip will still be active and in a high power state, because Windows doesn't know how to tell it to go into a low power state. 

Building new AMD Gaming system, wondering if I should even install the drivers I will NEVER use.

AMD On-board CPU Graphics (Ive got a 7900-XTX)

AMD RAID Driver (Never used RAID in my life, not gonna spend the cash on duplicate drives).

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

i don't think you realize how drivers work. if you don't install them, Windows will just not have a clue on what to do with that hardware. even if it's dorment unused, that can cause problems since the OS has no idea what it even is, so it doesn't know it's sitting unused either. 

you should ALWAYS install ALL drivers on a system, no matter if it's for hardware you're using or not. 

for example, if you don't use your iGPU, if you have drivers and Windows knows it's there but unused, Windows can put the chip in a low power state. that reduces power consumption and heat output. without drivers, the chip will still be active and in a high power state, because Windows doesn't know how to tell it to go into a low power state. 

She/Her

59 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

I've never had issues with not installing RAID drivers as I've never had to use RAID for the many systems I've built over the years, which is one that the OP is asking whether it's necessary to install if they will never use RAID. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I've never had issues with not installing RAID drivers as I've never had to use RAID for the many systems I've built over the years, which is one that the OP is asking whether it's necessary to install if they will never use RAID. 

it's great you've not had issues. depending on what kind of raid it is you can encounter them. i've had a motherboard with a hardware raid chip, without the driver the ports connected to the chip wouldn't work, even with drives in non-raid mode. 

the point here is to aliviate such issues. a driver takes up so little space and resource that even if the device isn't used, it's worth installing to avoid stupid problems since it costs so little to have it installed. 

She/Her