Pcie clip broken off now my pc won’t boot

Due to my own fault I broke the clip off the pcie slot while swapping my gpus, I looked and it said it shouldn’t be a big problem but now I can’t boot my pc with any of the gpus and I don’t understand the error codes on my x570 steel legend motherboard.

8 minutes ago, Omethomas said:

Due to my own fault I broke the clip off the pcie slot while swapping my gpus, I looked and it said it shouldn’t be a big problem but now I can’t boot my pc with any of the gpus and I don’t understand the error codes on my x570 steel legend motherboard.

you pressed down on it toward the mobo when it broke?.. check if anything is bent in that area.. 

generaly it's just a plastic thingy that lock the card in .. mostly for light transportation. 

5 minutes ago, Robchil said:

you pressed down on it toward the mobo when it broke?.. check if anything is bent in that area.. 

generaly it's just a plastic thingy that lock the card in .. mostly for light transportation. 

or light scratches, it may have went flying and hit a capacitor or scratched one of the lines

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Can you post a picture of the damaged slot?

18 minutes ago, Omethomas said:

I don’t understand the error codes on my x570 steel legend motherboard.

Which codes are you getting? (Just write them down verbatim.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

mine went the way of the dodo almost on day one. Simple piece of black plastic and the GPU shroud was so thick trying to get my thick finger in there to release the gpu was a nightmare.

Anyways remove GPU then use a soft brush like one of those that ladies like for their makeup. Gently brush the inside of the PCI slot just in case any crud dirt or tiny piece of plastic got in there.

then carefully push the GPU back into the slot. even without that clip you should feel it click into place once the GPU is seated fully into the PCI.

then try again and see if it works.

It’s only the plastic bit at the end

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Can you post a picture of the damaged slot?

Which codes are you getting? (Just write them down verbatim.)

It’s just 2 red lights that stay one, a third one will flick on and then the three lights flick on and off twice, after that just 2 lights will stay on

well you need to check your manual. as I believe you should have 4 lights that indicate CPU RAM GPU and BOOT all 4 should turn off. each off light indicates success so without more info people do not know which lights are remaining on. 

We can assume boot is on and GPU is on but that is just an assumption.

Broken plastic clip should not destroy a PCI slot especially a PCI slot reinforced as the one on your motherboard.

Unfortunately they are not in the manual. They are in order, from CMOS battery to back of case, CPU DRAM VGA BOOT. Given that two come on and the third blinks, that's probably a problem with the GPU. I'd first unplug, replug the power on both sides of the cables (if you have a modular PSU). Then I'd try the GPU in a different slot, then I'd try a different GPU

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Oh, and clearing CMOS can't hurt

PS, why did you originally remove it?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

57 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

mine went the way of the dodo almost on day one. Simple piece of black plastic and the GPU shroud was so thick trying to get my thick finger in there to release the gpu was a nightmare.

Anyways remove GPU then use a soft brush like one of those that ladies like for their makeup. Gently brush the inside of the PCI slot just in case any crud dirt or tiny piece of plastic got in there.

then carefully push the GPU back into the slot. even without that clip you should feel it click into place once the GPU is seated fully into the PCI.

then try again and see if it works.

Same here, plastic latch was broken last year, no issue tho, it can still hold my new bulky 7900XTX

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

yup...it is simply a little latch system on the MSI card I have.

Two plastic arms on a spindle and one arm at the section next to the hole on the arm where it goes over the end of the spindle.

the spindle part was fixed and the two arms need to separate a little so that they can slip over the ends. really cheap and bad design as the plastic is weakened by stretching the moment it has been assembled.

Anyways I think the OP's issue is elsewhere not that latch. The slot is so much stronger unless brute force was used to get the GPU out of the slot and even then if that was the issue those PCI slots go thru hell and back with DHL or Amazon deliveries and they still work after many people put their GPU back in the slot after it has been ripped out due to violent transportation mishaps.