Cherry vs. Kailh Switches

The Razer BlackWidow 2013 uses Cherry MX Blue switches, and honestly, they felt great. But the 2014 edition uses "Razer Green" switches (Kailh), and when I tested them out at a nearby NCIX store, they were horrendous.

First of all, the actuation point is so high yet the resistance is so low that it's hard to NOT bottom out the keys.

The reset point is so high that it pretty much the same as rubber dome, just easier to push down.

The backlight is so bright that the blood in my eyes turned green.

And the feel of it is so bad... instead of the satisfying "click", it feels like a "crunch", as if pushing down onto a slice of chocolate wafer.

That's not a problem that I will experience for my keyboarding career though, I'm using a Ducky Zero DK2108S, which uses Cherry MX Blue switches with a prefect amount of blue backlight.

Anyways, does anyone else feel that the Kailh switches are a little... different?  :huh:

I personally like resistance on my keys, but I don't linear switches. I'm still using a rubber dome keyboard, but if I buy a mechanical I'm going for Cherry MX Brown, or Blue.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I personally like resistance on my keys, but I don't linear switches. I'm still using a rubber dome keyboard, but if I buy a mechanical I'm going for Cherry MX Brown, or Blue.

May I recommend Greens if you like a decent resistance

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Cherry.

Kailh are not bad as switches, but as with any imitation Cherry switch, they show flaws. A keyboard with Cherry switches will, due to the precise manufacturing tolerances and quality, maintain the same feel throughout every key. A keyboard with Kailh switches however will feel different with every keystroke due to the more laidback standards of the cheaper manufactured Kailh switches.

And the Blackwidow 2014 uses Razer's own switches as far as we know, as opposed to Kailhs.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Cherry.

Kailh are not bad as switches, but as with any imitation Cherry switch, they show flaws. A keyboard with Cherry switches will, due to the precise manufacturing tolerances and quality, maintain the same feel throughout every key. A keyboard with Kailh switches however will feel different with every keystroke due to the more laidback standards of the cheaper manufactured Kailh switches.

That's exactly what I thought. It may also be why Kailh is cheaper, and because China has cheaper labour.

That's exactly what I thought. It may also be why Kailh is cheaper, and because China has cheaper labour.

Exactly.

Cherry MX switches are manufactured in Germany. The Germans as a whole have a thing for precision and quality.

Kailh switches and Razer switches are manufactured in China, known for cheap labor and laidback quality control.

It's all because Cherry's patent on the MX switch expired. But I don't believe personally that Kailh will ever catch on with the consumer in a big way. They're just not good enough for me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

it is not just Razer are using Kailh switches, TTesports Poseidon is now using them as well. I personally can't tell the difference between the two, I would say that get whatever Cherry MX keyboard while u can b4 others adopting the Kailh.

it is not just Razer are using Kailh switches, TTesports Poseidon is now using them as well. I personally can't tell the difference between the two, I would say that get whatever Cherry MX keyboard while u can b4 others adopting the Kailh.

I know. I explained for Razer because it's one of the most popular peripheral brand, and many people have tried it. Before I even tested it, I knew the Cherry one would be better.

I know. I explained for Razer because it's one of the most popular peripheral brand, and many people have tried it. Before I even tested it, I knew the Cherry one would be better.

With that said, I wonder how many more smarter Razer fan boys would start to look for the 2013 version instead, I would if I use Razer keyboard.

TTesports makes the Poseidon ( Cherry ) and the Poseidon Z ( Kailh ). I think they are not make Poseidon anymore, just selling whatever they have. Razer without a doubt is using custom Kailh switches. I don't think others will be adopting Kailh yet. They will want to see how well keyboards with Kailh sell.

And the Blackwidow 2014 uses Razer's own switches as far as we know, as opposed to Kailhs.

They really are Kailh switches, but you know Razer and their marketing gimmick. Imagine the first thing came to mind when people hear a new product "made in China". Not so good, right? (even though there are good products made in China). So instead of risking losing market interest by telling the truth, Razer decided to use their own brand.

Source: http://goo.gl/tFp0Mo

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

They really are Kailh switches, but you know Razer and their marketing gimmick. Imagine the first thing came to mind when people hear a new product "made in China". Not so good, right? (even though there are good products made in China). So instead of risking losing market interest by telling the truth, Razer decided to use their own brand.

Source: http://goo.gl/tFp0Mo

While cutting costs and cutting corners they still maintain the same price as the last generation. They could at least be like Good Guy TTesports and drop the price on the keyboard with the lower quality key switches just like the Poseidon vs Poseidon Z.

CPU: i5 4670K - CPU COOLER: CM HYPER 212 EVO - MOBO: ASUS Z87M-PLUS - GRAPHICS: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX - RAM: PATRIOT VIPER 3 BLACK MAMBA - CASE: CORSAIR 350D - PSU: XFX 750W STORAGE:  5TB BARRACUDAS & 256GB A-DATA SX900 - AUDIO: AUDIOENGINE A2+ KEYBOARD: DUCKY SHINE 3 - MOUSE: STEELSERIES RIVAL - MOUSEPAD: STEELSERIES QCK

STEAM: JAKUZURE NONON (JIZZY9870) - LEAGUE: TAIGA TENORI - STAR CITIZEN: LYRALEIA 

now 2 companies are on the same bandwagon. u cant get the meka cherries as soon as they sold them out. i wonder who's next?

• 9 months later...

Allot of things u have in house or car are made in China. I know auto parts (renowned manufacturers) made in china and relabeled as made in UE with a price jump because all things made in Europe...So why this switches could not be good? As we all know gaming peripherals are overpriced.

I wasn't a fan of razer's implementation, but I do like the kailh blue switches. They feel extremely similar to the cherry blue switches in my experience, although the manufacturing tolerances do not seem to be quite to the same level. I think the trade off in price for kailh blue vs cherry blue is fair. cherry blues are a tad more consistent as far as the feel of every key being exactly the same, but the kailh switches are not bad at all.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

• 9 months later...

Some people are picky-bitches. "It's switches are from China, therefore it sucks." Except that they're almost the EXACT same switch. And plus, if Kailh was American, people would say Cherry MX sucks because it's German.

Some people are picky-bitches. "It's switches are from China, therefore it sucks." Except that they're almost the EXACT same switch. And plus, if Kailh was American, people would say Cherry MX sucks because it's German.

MX is known for having superior quality control. No one wants to buy a keyboard with switches made from China knowing full well it'll break down faster then it's superior counterpart.

I don't know a single person that thinks American made things are better then German produced products. German engineering is and always will be known for how efficient and well built products are.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I understood from my research, there are 3 main options for the mx style switches.
1. the known and loved genuine Cherry mx switches with all its variations.
2.the kailh switches that copy the usual red,brown and blue mx switches.
3. the razer switches green(clicky), orange(silent) that are designed by razer but manufactured my kailh, which as far as I know are not same as blue/brown from any cherry or kailh ones.

However I didn't try much mechanical switches, so I wont tell what is better or how much is the difference between each type. But at that point I see many keyboards with cherry mx with similar price to the ones with kailh so I would rather get a cherry one right away.

I am a gamer and I type in general pc use, so will decided to choose cherry mx brown. So did I chose the right one ?

Cherry.

Gateron switches are as good as, or better than, cherry switches. This is a ridiculous claim

Especially because of all the recent complaints that cherry switches (particularly blues) are very inconsistent out of the box.

Does anyone actually pay attention to the boards, and what people say about them, or do you all just listen to Linus like he's the second coming of Christmas?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Does anyone actually pay attention to the boards, and what people say about them, or do you all just listen to Linus like he's the second coming of Christmas?

If anyone, I will be the last fucking person to listen to Linus like he's always right. My rig reflects this as does my actions.

As for my claim, I didn't know about Gatreons over a year and a half ago when I made that comment. I have still used Kailhua keyboards along with Cherry ones though, and my point stands about them at least. And I don't notice any consistency issues with my brand new MX RGB Blues.

If anyone, I will be the last fucking person to listen to Linus like he's always right. My rig reflects this as does my actions.

As for my claim, I didn't know about Gatreons over a year and a half ago when I made that comment. I have still used Kailhua keyboards along with Cherry ones though, and my point stands about them at least. And I don't notice any consistency issues with my brand new MX RGB Blues.

Wait, holy shit. I didn't realize how old this thread is... In retrospect, I don't disagree with your opinion, as that's probably the same exact one I would have had at that point. Talk about a goddamn thread necro.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)