I plan on building a PC using an old case and power supply. Looking for help choosing components that are good, but will fit.

Go to solution Solved by VandyMachine,

I built the older pc in question. The modding was not too bad...a bit of dremel here and a hole drilled there. The  SFX power supply pretty much mounted up the where the side intake fan was. I cut out and gutted the old power supply but reused the PSU fan mount. The case (suprise!) had a IO panel cut out. So there was no modding there. Oh, and the motherboard was a standard Micro ATX board.

Throw in a Nvidia RTX A2000 with a decent SFF power supply & you have a monster (for its size) sleeper gaming pc.

Budget (including currency): 

$500 willing to go a little over if need be.

America

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

It will be used for minecraft a lot, might be used for video editing, and would like to be able to play more modern games if I want.

Other details

I plan on using the case, which is an old office type dell I think, and the 435 watt power supply to build an entry level PC with an Ryzen 7 5700 G and use the integrated graphics, or maybe get a CPU that is cheaper ,has the same performance (not necessary graphics wise, but I would like to have integrated so I can get the GPU when I have the money), and use a half Hight, half length card, as that is all that will fit.

If you need/want more details, ask specifically what you want opt know.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.

1 minute ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

America

It will be used for minecraft a lot, might be used for video editing, and would like to be able to play more modern games if I want.

Other details

I plan on using the case, which is an old office type dell I think, and the 435 watt power supply to build an entry level PC with an Ryzen 7 5700 G and use the integrated graphics, or maybe get a CPU that is cheaper ,has the same performance (not necessary graphics wise, but I would like to have integrated so I can get the GPU when I have the money), and use a half Hight, half length card, as that is all that will fit.

Dell products sounds like pure horror to me. Just because they tend to do it their way, and ignore most if not all common standards. If you want to save moneys by re-using their case, I would reconsider. You're way better off getting any junk-tier case from the early 2000's, gotten from a thrift shop.

TLDR: consider any other case, then a Dell case.

What exact model Dell is it? Will it fit a standard mATX or ITX motherboard? Does the PSU have standard connectors? If yes to all then it should be an easy build, though you'll never get anything super powerful in there with the half height limitation. If you want to go for a sleeper build, check the front panel headers as well. I was lucky and my Dell 530S chassis uses standard front panel connectors so I could keep the original front USB 2.0 ports and power button for a stock front look. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

America

Other details

What dell.

They haven't used standard atx stuff for almost a decade. Unless it's really old stuff won't fit and by that point I wouldn't trust their psu either.

Is it perhaps a inspiron 560?

Because it's kinda atx but also the front panel is proprietary so legit no start button for you.

Psu can work but it's ANCIENT and you really SHOULD NOT use it.

Very few OEM Dell cases will accept an ATX motherboard without chopping out the IO plate. If it's like an old Optiplex 745 forget it, those are BTX so the PCI slots are on the wrong side of the IO shield. You'll also have to rewire the front panel connectors.

Older Dimension desktops have a normal mATX layout, they just need a front panel rewire.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Very few OEM Dell cases will accept an ATX motherboard without chopping out the IO plate. If it's like an old Optiplex 745 forget it, those are BTX so the PCI slots are on the wrong side of the IO shield. You'll also have to rewire the front panel connectors.

Older Dimension desktops have a normal mATX layout, they just need a front panel rewire.

Oh and of course the usual airflow is kinda crud warning thingy.

4 hours ago, Zando_ said:

What exact model Dell is it? Will it fit a standard mATX or ITX motherboard? Does the PSU have standard connectors? If yes to all then it should be an easy build, though you'll never get anything super powerful in there with the half height limitation. If you want to go for a sleeper build, check the front panel headers as well. I was lucky and my Dell 530S chassis uses standard front panel connectors so I could keep the original front USB 2.0 ports and power button for a stock front look. 

60DF20D5-61E6-4218-8351-E6319B25514D.thumb.jpeg.ff80c7662ad6b08efc9195b7b796657b.jpeg
this is the sticker on the side of it. 

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I realize that it is an hp not a dell, earlier I was going off of memory.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

18 hours ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

this is the sticker on the side of it. 

It turns out someone on this forum built a new PC in that case a couple years ago!

Just be aware that this case will severely limit your power supply and video card options. Buying a regular mATX case will let you pick from pretty much everything on the market.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

16 hours ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I realize that it is an hp not a dell, earlier I was going off of memory.

Not a good idea

Its a sff system this will cost your more to get smaller parts and you have a much smaller pricier pool of components avaiable.

If case is too much for like 45$ you can go on local used and pick free atx ones up easilt normally

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Not a good idea

Its a sff system this will cost your more to get smaller parts and you have a much smaller pricier pool of components avaiable.

If case is too much for like 45$ you can go on local used and pick free atx ones up easilt normally

It is not just to be a sff, it is also a sleeper pc, and I like the case and want the optical drive

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Just be aware that this case will severely limit your power supply and video card options. Buying a regular mATX case will let you pick from pretty much everything on the market.

Do you have any suggestions for for motherboard and GPU? I plan to (for now) use the power supply already in it.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

5 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

It is not just to be a sff, it is also a sleeper pc, and I like the case and want the optical drive

I'd recommend a random atx hp then as a sleeper because this one is just super constrained and requires a lot of work to work.

Because the case needs to be edited to support atx form factors AND needs to he changed for a standard psu.

Which means regardless what you do you lose the optical drive.

Just now, jaslion said:

I'd recommend a random atx hp then as a sleeper because this one is just super constrained and requires a lot of work to work.

Because the case needs to be edited to support atx form factors AND needs to he changed for a standard psu.

Which means regardless what you do you lose the optical drive.

What form factor is it?

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

25 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

What form factor is it?

Btx and custom mixed.

You can't find components for that and need to modify it like the dude in that other post did.

I built the older pc in question. The modding was not too bad...a bit of dremel here and a hole drilled there. The  SFX power supply pretty much mounted up the where the side intake fan was. I cut out and gutted the old power supply but reused the PSU fan mount. The case (suprise!) had a IO panel cut out. So there was no modding there. Oh, and the motherboard was a standard Micro ATX board.

Throw in a Nvidia RTX A2000 with a decent SFF power supply & you have a monster (for its size) sleeper gaming pc.