HELP ME CHANGE MY BOOTANIMATION

Hi so I wanted to change the bootanimation on my A5 2017 running Lineage OS 20 but I don't where where to place the bootanimation.bin file 

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Kds1910 said:

Hi so I wanted to change the bootanimation on my A5 2017 running Lineage OS 20 but I don't where where to place the bootanimation.bin file 

Thanks.

I'll start by saying I don't have that device. However I run Lineage on all my devices. I haven't messed with boot animations in some time. Do you not have your standard bootanimation.zip file in /system/product/media?

3 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I'll start by saying I don't have that device. However I run Lineage on all my devices. I haven't messed with boot animations in some time. Do you not have your standard bootanimation.zip file in /system/product/media?

No in /System/ there is only the folder "usr" Do I have to root my device? 

1 hour ago, Kds1910 said:

No in /System/ there is only the folder "usr" Do I have to root my device? 

• You will need to be rooted to swap out or change that file in the OS.
  • Or you can swap it out of your lineage.zip file before you flash or update it. However you would need to do this every time. However this is true of any of these methods. Personally I think this route is the most time consuming, and difficult, especially as these days everything is packed into a payload file. It's not like the "old days".
  • If you use a custom recovery like TWRP, on some devices, this will give you "root" like access to manipulate files in the file explorer, or through ADP to swap files out such as this, as you please before you boot. Since I'm assuming this is a FBE device, you would still have access to the system partition even if TWRP can't decrypt the /data partition. Some of my devices are like this, some aren't I use this to swap hosts files sometimes. If you are using Lineage recovery, this isn't likely to work, it's not as usable in this manner typically, However it has ADB, you can see what kind of results you get.

If you are going to try and do something like this, rooting will make your life much easier. Having root in general makes my life easier. Personally I don't see a reason not to do it, but everyone has their own opinions. 

35 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:
  • You will need to be rooted to swap out or change that file in the OS.
  • Or you can swap it out of your lineage.zip file before you flash or update it. However you would need to do this every time. However this is true of any of these methods. Personally I think this route is the most time consuming, and difficult, especially as these days everything is packed into a payload file. It's not like the "old days".
  • If you use a custom recovery like TWRP, on some devices, this will give you "root" like access to manipulate files in the file explorer, or through ADP to swap files out such as this, as you please before you boot. Since I'm assuming this is a FBE device, you would still have access to the system partition even if TWRP can't decrypt the /data partition. Some of my devices are like this, some aren't I use this to swap hosts files sometimes. If you are using Lineage recovery, this isn't likely to work, it's not as usable in this manner typically, However it has ADB, you can see what kind of results you get.

If you are going to try and do something like this, rooting will make your life much easier. Having root in general makes my life easier. Personally I don't see a reason not to do it, but everyone has their own opinions. 

I just rooted this thing and nothing changef

Just now, Kds1910 said:

I just rooted this thing and nothing changed and I already use twrp what should I do now?

46 minutes ago, Kds1910 said:

I just rooted this thing and nothing changef

What file browser are using? The only Samsung devices I have anymore at tablets, but all three models are running Lineage. 

I'm using Solid File Explorer. 

Did you also try /Product/media/ ? 

Im using the file Manager in twrp and there is also no /product/ folder

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

What file browser are using? The only Samsung devices I have anymore at tablets, but all three models are running Lineage. 

Never mind I found an app that Shows all the files now and thanks for being so kind

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

But I cant replace the original bootanimation.zip with the new one it doesn't allow me to what should I do?

1 hour ago, Kds1910 said:

But I cant replace the original bootanimation.zip with the new one it doesn't allow me to what should I do?

Some devices the system partition is no R/W, when booted. It's very annoying. Some devices will put up a fight to mounting it as writable in those cases.

Which recovery are you using? Lineage or TWRP?  Usually in these situations I use a custom recovery (TWRP) to move the file. In Lineage recovery you can mount system, enable ADB, then use ADB shell. See if you have /system/product/media then. That may let you swap the file out. However you may still have to remount the system as writable. I've had mixed results using Lineage recovery to do such things. If you are using Lineage recovery I would try it first though, before trying something else.

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Some devices the system partition is no R/W, when booted. It's very annoying. Some devices will put up a fight to mounting it as writable in those cases.

Which recovery are you using? Lineage or TWRP?  Usually in these situations I use a custom recovery (TWRP) to move the file. In Lineage recovery you can mount system, enable ADB, then use ADB shell. See if you have /system/product/media then. That may let you swap the file out. However you may still have to remount the system as writable. I've had mixed results using Lineage recovery to do such things. If you are using Lineage recovery I would try it first though, before trying something else.

Thanks it worked now I was just DUMB and forgot to Mount the System in twrp

18 minutes ago, Kds1910 said:

Thanks it worked now I was just DUMB and forgot to Mount the System in twrp

Glad you got it figured out.