CPU for video editing

Go to solution Solved by Demonic Donut,

I'd upgrade CPU first. A better GPU will definitely perform better than the a750 but you're going to be absolutely choked by anything less than a Ryzen 3600 or better, regardless of GPU.

The devinci website recommends a minimum of a i5/R5 and prefers i7/r7 for processor.

What is your budget?

I would recommend a 12600 at least, and if you can get that + a GPU, then get both.

So I recently picked up video editing and the quality is only 720p so I thought my PC which I built for gaming with a decent upgrade path but fairly low end parts to start with would do the job. But the render time is ridiculously slow. Here are the specs: i3 12100 64GBs of RAM (I got some free lol) ARC A750 WD BLACK 500GB NVME SSD all on a b660m asus tuf gaming. I will clarify that I am a complete noob to video editing and it's ins and outs. I do understand that it requires a good processor, but I felt that with an i3 12th gen that 720p shouldn't take that long but again I'm a noob to it. I'm looking for some advice on what I should upgrade to or if there is a setting I have messed up or something I'm doing wrong. Your help would be much appreciated, thank you!

11 hours ago, Commander_Dork said:

But the render time is ridiculously slow

Whats your video editor of choice here? Most of the ones used on the market are super CUDA biased so A750 is kind of a dead end run unless it supports openCL well, and you shouldve went for 3060 or used 2080/2070 Super for the same price.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Whats your video editor of choice here? Most of the ones used on the market are super CUDA biased so A750 is kind of a dead end run unless it supports openCL well, and you shouldve went for 3060 or used 2080/2070 Super for the same price.

I’m using Davinci Resolve. Problem is I hadn’t planned on video editing when I decided to get the ARC A750. Something I should probably note is just simple scrubbing through the timeline my CPU spikes to 100% and immediately peaks at turbo speed. Just from scrubbing a little bit. 

I'd upgrade CPU first. A better GPU will definitely perform better than the a750 but you're going to be absolutely choked by anything less than a Ryzen 3600 or better, regardless of GPU.

The devinci website recommends a minimum of a i5/R5 and prefers i7/r7 for processor.

What is your budget?

I would recommend a 12600 at least, and if you can get that + a GPU, then get both.

Mk, I'll probably get the i7 12700k as I've been wanting to anyhow. And then if I can I'm hoping to get the RTX 4070 Ti in the future so I'm waiting on a gpu. Thank you for the help!