Esports

Averykindguy1998
Go to solution Solved by Rmlk2ei,

What games are in esports ?

Also how do you get in?

Any game that sufficiently provides a high enough skill ceiling with a large enough player base plus monetary interest can be basically an esport. Major titles now are LoL, Dota 2, Starcraft 2, CSGO. With a touch of other games like Fifa, smite, bf4, ns2 etc

Getting in depends on where you want to be. Generally if you want to be involved in the aspect of a player, you have to be, like mentioned above, really really good. Talent is one thing, but without hardwork it dosent matter. If you're not talented, you just have to work much much harder. Depending on your game, it can either be individual based or team based, both of which require equally immense amount of effort. The technical aspects of how to play well are embedded within your prefered game so you'll have to do your own research for that. It takes a certain combination of raw skill, hardwork, people relations, results and a little bit of luck to breakout into the esports scene. If you're thinking of going pro, you better be prepared for all kinds of hardship, plus when you "make it" its only when you breakout. Maintaining top level play to remain relevant in the scene is another huge challenge. Overall this aspect of esports, while the most prestigious and glorious, is i believe to be the hardest of them all.

There are other parts like being a manager, coach, journalist, commentator etc. I'll touch on these a little bit. Being a manager is very much like running any sports team, you get involved in sponsorships for you team (which is essentially the most important thing), may even include "coaching" your players to some extent, settling administration for tournaments, finances (facilities, equipment etc) and generally supporting your team/player(s) so that they can focus on playing. 

A coach gets more involved in the game, generally a coach will be a retired player or someone who has extensive experience in the game. Your job is to get down the to technical details of the game from your strategies to playstyle to small things like what is your daily routine and keeping you on track to play at your next tournament.

A journalist speaks for itself. Reporting the aspects of the game from interviews to articles like what you would expect.

Commentators are people to commentate on the game (like duh), they hype up the matches and inform the casual players by simplifying or pointing out the complexity and skill that occurs within a match.

There are many other roles and such, you can find those as you start diving into a specific game's esports scene.

If you're asking about how you (referring to people like us) get in, i can share some of my short history. I live in Singapore, not a fantastic place for esports albeit. First game that i actually dove into competitively was Starcraft 2, forming a team and such was the first step, but eventually i realised that starcraft 2 wasnt really my flair. I had some skill but that game just required so much time from me and i found that after awhile (with intensive training and such, playing for a good 10-12 hours a day on non-school days) i just lost my passion for the game, it was more of the me not liking the game rather than playing it till im bored. My team currently became inactive as like me many others also lost their passion for the game with life catching up and all that. At the moment i've switch to my original favourite genre, fps. Playing csgo (counter-strike global offensive) competitively. So far since playing for 5 months (about a 1500 hours total + more offline researching etc), me and my team have placed top 8 in the country in an online competition getting knocked out by the best team here, hoping to do equally if not better than what we achieved at a LAN competition.

Hope this puts some insight into esports! Feel free to ask about anything and even about specific game scenes (Mostly regarding Starcraft 2 and LoL, oh and of course, CSGO, i hardly keep up with dota 2 and any other game).

go to mlgs site and find out more there

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245550/

Download the free to play documentary. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245550/

Download the free to play documentary. 

"10 years ago competitive gaming wasn't even a thing"

So, how is it that Fatal1ty made a name for itself? And Koreas SPL, among other events, have been running, for, hmmm, about 10 years.

Jesus fucking christ Riot and Valve shit me when they come along thinking that they were the first and only ones to do the whole esports thing

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Major eSport games are League of Legens, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offence, Starcraft 2, Halo, Call of Duties and basicly any fighting game. So its on both consoles and pc. Easiest way to get in as spectator is to open Twitch and selecting some tournament stream. There's always some tournament going on. Next big one is going to be Dreamhack Summer in June.

As for player. You need to be good. And have some competive desire. Pick a game that you like, that has multiplayer, and where you can defeat some opponents. This can be single or team type. Then find community site for that game. If it hasn't got one (Steam community isn't really one), then it isn't considered ready to be competive or there isn't enough players who want it to be. From community sites you can find practice partners, a team and guides to improve your skill. They usually have also tournament listings. Then there's sites that have amateur tournaments. I know only really Zotac Cups and ESL but there are more.

Basicly when you have competed in some tournament you are in esports.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Basicly when you have competed in some tournament you are in esports.

The hard part is going full time. You need a team, with sponsers, that can pay your day to day living costs. That's where in particular, say Street Fighter players really struggle.

If there's any sort of matchmaking thing then it's worth doing that until you hit the top leagues. But be aware, the skill gap between that top league and pro is often huge.

Like in League of Legends, just because you've made Diamond I or Challenger league, doesn't mean you'll be able to go pro. Because while you're solo queuing, a lot of the pros are doing team practice, or attending events

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

@VulsaviiK, I'm not talking about playing professionally. Esports are also the amateur parts of it. People competing for fun of it. Ofc when you aim for pro levels you need more help from team and sponsors to get into higher level tournaments.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Also how do you get in?

Team Fortress 2 has a very good competitive following with some popular user created leagues like etf2l.org and ugcleague.com

@VulsaviiK, I'm not talking about playing professionally. Esports are also the amateur parts of it. People competing for fun of it. Ofc when you aim for pro levels you need more help from team and sponsors to get into higher level tournaments.

I know, I felt like adding that on. Competing on online tournaments is the "easy" bit because it's usually open registration. Of course yeah, you still need to be good, and don't be surprised if you happen to run into a pro-player or two along the way.

It's the step up from that I was referring to, since it's probably the form of esports people are most familiar with/watch the most of.

If you're looking into fighting games it might be worth seeing if there are any that are local ones. Even some of the major ones are open registration, although they can come with entry fees to cover the cost of the prize pool. I know here in Aus we had Shadaloo Showdown which was a pretty big one

Also how do you get in?

Any game that sufficiently provides a high enough skill ceiling with a large enough player base plus monetary interest can be basically an esport. Major titles now are LoL, Dota 2, Starcraft 2, CSGO. With a touch of other games like Fifa, smite, bf4, ns2 etc

Getting in depends on where you want to be. Generally if you want to be involved in the aspect of a player, you have to be, like mentioned above, really really good. Talent is one thing, but without hardwork it dosent matter. If you're not talented, you just have to work much much harder. Depending on your game, it can either be individual based or team based, both of which require equally immense amount of effort. The technical aspects of how to play well are embedded within your prefered game so you'll have to do your own research for that. It takes a certain combination of raw skill, hardwork, people relations, results and a little bit of luck to breakout into the esports scene. If you're thinking of going pro, you better be prepared for all kinds of hardship, plus when you "make it" its only when you breakout. Maintaining top level play to remain relevant in the scene is another huge challenge. Overall this aspect of esports, while the most prestigious and glorious, is i believe to be the hardest of them all.

There are other parts like being a manager, coach, journalist, commentator etc. I'll touch on these a little bit. Being a manager is very much like running any sports team, you get involved in sponsorships for you team (which is essentially the most important thing), may even include "coaching" your players to some extent, settling administration for tournaments, finances (facilities, equipment etc) and generally supporting your team/player(s) so that they can focus on playing. 

A coach gets more involved in the game, generally a coach will be a retired player or someone who has extensive experience in the game. Your job is to get down the to technical details of the game from your strategies to playstyle to small things like what is your daily routine and keeping you on track to play at your next tournament.

A journalist speaks for itself. Reporting the aspects of the game from interviews to articles like what you would expect.

Commentators are people to commentate on the game (like duh), they hype up the matches and inform the casual players by simplifying or pointing out the complexity and skill that occurs within a match.

There are many other roles and such, you can find those as you start diving into a specific game's esports scene.

If you're asking about how you (referring to people like us) get in, i can share some of my short history. I live in Singapore, not a fantastic place for esports albeit. First game that i actually dove into competitively was Starcraft 2, forming a team and such was the first step, but eventually i realised that starcraft 2 wasnt really my flair. I had some skill but that game just required so much time from me and i found that after awhile (with intensive training and such, playing for a good 10-12 hours a day on non-school days) i just lost my passion for the game, it was more of the me not liking the game rather than playing it till im bored. My team currently became inactive as like me many others also lost their passion for the game with life catching up and all that. At the moment i've switch to my original favourite genre, fps. Playing csgo (counter-strike global offensive) competitively. So far since playing for 5 months (about a 1500 hours total + more offline researching etc), me and my team have placed top 8 in the country in an online competition getting knocked out by the best team here, hoping to do equally if not better than what we achieved at a LAN competition.

Hope this puts some insight into esports! Feel free to ask about anything and even about specific game scenes (Mostly regarding Starcraft 2 and LoL, oh and of course, CSGO, i hardly keep up with dota 2 and any other game).

What?