Supported on M1 Macs?: Python, Jupyter Notebook, Postgres, MySQL, Airflow

MrMitty

I'm an aspiring coder. I have learned / am still learning the technologies mentioned above. For Python, I primarily use pandas, requests, matplotlib, SQL Alchemy. Are all of these fully supported on Apple Silicon? I currently have a 2019 16" Intel MBP. That machine is quite nice since it has 64GB RAM but it tends to struggle with very large Notebooks and for some reason, Zoom and Teams.

I'm not a professional developer at all. I'm still taking CS classes before (hopefully) starting an MS in CS next year. I don't think I'll be doing anything advanced like ML but I do want to learn mobile app development.

I'm thinking about getting an M2 MBP but only if all the software above is fully supported. If you use the tools above, can you please confirm? And can you install directly or do you need workarounds / package managers like homebrew / miniforge?

Any x86 Binary should run just fine via Rosetta. Apple Silicon has hardware accelerators for this task. If you get an Apple Silicon Mac, I think you'll love it. I'm even considering one for personal use, but losing Bootcamp might be just too much to give up right now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

So, what happens when you pip install packages in python? Should they all work because of emulation? 

Also, I forgot to ask about R. Does the ARM release work as expected? I have a project in R and I will likely take more classes that use it. 

15 hours ago, MrMitty said:

I'm an aspiring coder. I have learned / am still learning the technologies mentioned above. For Python, I primarily use pandas, requests, matplotlib, SQL Alchemy. Are all of these fully supported on Apple Silicon? I currently have a 2019 16" Intel MBP. That machine is quite nice since it has 64GB RAM but it tends to struggle with very large Notebooks and for some reason, Zoom and Teams.

I'm not a professional developer at all. I'm still taking CS classes before (hopefully) starting an MS in CS next year. I don't think I'll be doing anything advanced like ML but I do want to learn mobile app development.

I'm thinking about getting an M2 MBP but only if all the software above is fully supported. If you use the tools above, can you please confirm? And can you install directly or do you need workarounds / package managers like homebrew / miniforge?

Python and most of its packages should work fine, alon with jupyter and whatnot. Otherwise you can use rosetta, but it shouldn't be needed.

PG works out of the box, so does MySQL and Airflow (with 2.3+). If you're using those with docker, you can just use a flag to build an image as x86 so you can run it under rosetta, like so: 

docker build --platform linux/amd64  .

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga