Can i use my own router with att as my wifi provider?

TylerBarfield
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
6 minutes ago, TylerBarfield said:

is it possible for me to use my own router like the Asus Rog Strix ax 3000 to boost my wifi speeds?

Typically yes. Internet Providers almost always give customers a gateway (i.e. combo modem/router) and the wireless router half of the device is mediocre.

If you're using gateway, you need to go into the settings and disable the Wi-Fi portion of your router so that it doesn't interfere with your new router. Then plug an ethernet cable from your gateway to your new router.

If you're using two separate components, then instead of plugging an ethernet cable from the modem to the old router, you plug a cable from the modem to the new router. And then setup what SSID and such you want.

Slightly more complicated than that, but you can look up tutorials if you're confused. I haven't done that in ages.

is it possible for me to use my own router like the Asus Rog Strix ax 3000 to boost my wifi speeds?

6 minutes ago, TylerBarfield said:

Typically yes. Internet Providers almost always give customers a gateway (i.e. combo modem/router) and the wireless router half of the device is mediocre.

If you're using gateway, you need to go into the settings and disable the Wi-Fi portion of your router so that it doesn't interfere with your new router. Then plug an ethernet cable from your gateway to your new router.

If you're using two separate components, then instead of plugging an ethernet cable from the modem to the old router, you plug a cable from the modem to the new router. And then setup what SSID and such you want.

Slightly more complicated than that, but you can look up tutorials if you're confused. I haven't done that in ages.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

If your ISP-provided gateway has a "bridge mode", you can. You want it to just be the modem, not act as a router and access point. That job will be handed over to your new router.

Technically you could plug your new router's WAN port into one of your ISP gateway's LAN ports, but then things can get dicey because you created a double NAT.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

but then things can get dicey because you created a double NAT.

That can easily be fixed with DMZ. It will open all ports to his router and then his router is the one deciding which ports will be open or closed.

1 hour ago, Marko_98 said:

That can easily be fixed with DMZ. It will open all ports to his router and then his router is the one deciding which ports will be open or closed.

I don't believe that fixes the issue with NAT. He would need to use bridge mode as others have suggested.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

I'm using my Wi-Fi router that way. My ISP doesn't allow bridge mode and replacing their router. Since their router has terrible Wi-Fi and I don't get even half of the speed I'm paying for, I bought my own router (TP-Link Archer AX20). It's connected to the ISP one, with configured static IP and DMZ set to my router. I've been using setup like this for two years now and I didn't encounter any issues whatsoever. I can normally port forward just in my router, I don't have to do it on the ISP one. In fact, I don't remember the last time I entered their router's page. 😀

31 minutes ago, Marko_98 said:

I'm using my Wi-Fi router that way. My ISP doesn't allow bridge mode and replacing their router. Since their router has terrible Wi-Fi and I don't get even half of the speed I'm paying for, I bought my own router (TP-Link Archer AX20). It's connected to the ISP one, with configured static IP and DMZ set to my router. I've been using setup like this for two years now and I didn't encounter any issues whatsoever. I can normally port forward just in my router, I don't have to do it on the ISP one. In fact, I don't remember the last time I entered their router's page. 😀

Nice, good to know. I guess it makes sense that it would fix the port forwarding issue with NAT.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey