Xbox Wireless Adapter stops working after PC sleeps - I need to plug it out and plug it in again every time

So I recently bought an Xbox Wireless Adapter but I'm having some issues with it. When I plug it in it does work. However when my PC goes to sleep and I turn the PC back on again, the adapter stops working completely. Pulling it out and plugging it back in again does fix it, but that's very annoying since it's plugged into the back of my PC, under the desk.

I've been looking for hours online and I can find several other people with this problem, however sadly no fixes.

What I already tried:

• Going to properties in Device manager and making sure 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is turned off.
  • Going into the power settings and disabling USB selective suspend.
  • Uninstalling the device, restarting the computer, and plugging it in again so it installs 'fresh'
  • Check my BIOS setting for any power-related settings: ErP Ready is turned [off], so the PC shouldn't be powering devices down completely.
  • Tried different USB ports, I've tried both USB2 and USB3 ports.

Things I've noticed:

• After waking up from sleep, when the device isn't working, device manager's device status still claims 'This device is working properly'. Some people online got a message here saying it wasn't functioning, but I don't have that problem.
  • Under the events log, there is an entry saying:
Device USB\VID_045E&PID_02E6\000000000 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem21.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: mt7612US
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: xboxgip
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Of note:

• The Wireless Adapter is sold out everywhere, so I bought it on Amazon from a reseller, claiming it was 'used, great state'. It came in a plastic bag. It looks legit, but I suppose it's possible it's a counterfeit. I've had a counterfeit 360 wireless adapter in the past - but that one was never recognized by Windows, it showed as an unknown device, and I had to install the drivers manually. This one was immediately recognized by Windows as a Xbox Wireless Adapter and installed automatically, leading me to believe that it is genuine.

For reference my motherboard is a B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC.

If someone doesn't come up with a software solution, I'd just run a cable extension and mount it under the desk beside you. Then it's an easy plug/unplug affair.
Or just don't turn off your PC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Or just learn to turn off your PC.

fixed that for you.

for as long as windows sleep is as broken of a mess as it is, learn to shutdown your desktop.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

fixed that for you.

for as long as windows sleep is as broken of a mess as it is, learn to shutdown your desktop.

No, you didn't. I haven't turned my PC off in months.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

No, you didn't. I haven't turned my PC off in months.

but do you leave it running, or put it in sleep every day?

because if you use sleep.. you need to go buy a lotery ticket if that works for months on end.

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but do you leave it running, or put it in sleep every day?

because if you use sleep.. you need to go buy a lotery ticket if that works for months on end.

I turn off my monitor and leave it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

fixed that for you.

I’m not having any other problems with sleep aside from this adapter tbh.

From what I can tell online some people have this problem, but for others it also works without problems. I’m mostly just looking for a solution, not to stop using sleep altogether.

3 minutes ago, Freighter said:

From what I can tell online some people have this problem, but for others it also works without problems. I’m mostly just looking for a solution, not to stop using sleep altogether.

it might work with a different specific driver version, it might work with some USB controller driver version, it might just not play nice with your chipset, there might just be something completely unrelated that interferes with the timing the hardware and driver expect when waking, etc.

the problem with sleep is that when you have issues, it's near impossible to diagnose the exact cause because everything sort of is tied to everything else, and windows logging rarely provides any useful information past "this driver didnt load".

if i'd have to hazard a wild guess.. perhaps disabling wake from USB *may* work, but that may be as much of an annoyance as just re-plugging the stick depending on how you use things.

10 hours ago, Freighter said:

Why are you set on using sleep? It doesn't save that much power.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Why are you set on using sleep? It doesn't save that much power.

I mean sleep mode uses like 3 watts and in idle it uses what, like 35-45 watt? That’s at least 10x more. And I live in Europe, energy prices are sky high here.