Awkward Location Speakers

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
10 hours ago, ScottishTapWater said:

I could probably look at some stands to have them just above and behind the TV, wall mounting is a bit of a pain because my walls are whinstone, but it's an option.

Thanks for the advice!

Id say get the speakers, put em on boxes but make sure to put a piece of wood under them (so the box doesnt become a massive resonance chamber completly) and see what works best

So, I've got a TV in the corner of my living room with double doors next to it. There's not really any other way to organize my living room that makes sense because I don't want to block the fire.

Historically, I've had a sound bar that I never use because it's a bit shit.

So I guess I want to get some bookshelf speakers or something, but I have no idea where I'd put them given the layout.

What's the best option here? Not looking to spend more than £200-300.

Sorry about the mess, currently ill with covid, it's not normally this bad.

IMG_20230428_140150_710.jpg

Just get 2 speaker stands and put the besides the tv.

Also make sure you get speakers made for tv audio and not tunes for music unless you have a external amp to tune them with.

Some mackie 5's would be nice starting speakers

Other options would be to put them under the TV, or get extra tall stands and put them above and behind it. 

PS, I love/hate those Imbzbk screen protectos. Expensive and such a hassle, but absolute perfection for protection

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Just get 2 speaker stands and put the besides the tv.

Also make sure you get speakers made for tv audio and not tunes for music unless you have a external amp to tune them with.

Some mackie 5's would be nice starting speakers

There's probably not enough room to put a stand to the left, the tv already hits the curtain.

These the speakers you mean?

Mackie CR5-XBT Active 5" Reference Monitors with Bluetooth - 80 W Speakers perfect for DJ Production, Home Studios, Content Creators, Gaming and Music https://amzn.eu/d/gvHhu5f

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

Other options would be to put them under the TV, or get extra tall stands and put them above and behind it. 

PS, I love/hate those Imbzbk screen protectos. Expensive and such a hassle, but absolute perfection for protection

Reckon they'd be fine on the floor either side of the table it's on?

Aye, well after going through about 12 other brands that just wouldn't stick to my goddamned phone for more than a few days... Definitely be worth it.

37 minutes ago, ScottishTapWater said:

There's probably not enough room to put a stand to the left, the tv already hits the curtain.

These the speakers you mean?

Mackie CR5-XBT Active 5" Reference Monitors with Bluetooth - 80 W Speakers perfect for DJ Production, Home Studios, Content Creators, Gaming and Music https://amzn.eu/d/gvHhu5f

Yup those

They also have smaller ones that might even fit under the tv on the closet but you will have to measure that

54 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yup those

They also have smaller ones that might even fit under the tv on the closet but you will have to measure that

Nice one, thanks!

3 minutes ago, circeseye said:

what about something like this if stands wont work. then you can mount above the curtains
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RGGSGXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They'd be alright, what's the craic with positioning? Will things not sound weird if they're not symmetric about the TV's centre?

1 minute ago, ScottishTapWater said:

They'd be alright, what's the craic with positioning? Will things not sound weird if they're not symmetric about the TV's centre?

Assymetrical is fine up to a certain distance.

The issue I see with them being on the floor is that the couch will sound trap the left speaker hence my recommendation of just having em lifted a bit.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Assymetrical is fine up to a certain distance.

The issue I see with them being on the floor is that the couch will sound trap the left speaker hence my recommendation of just having em lifted a bit.

I could probably look at some stands to have them just above and behind the TV, wall mounting is a bit of a pain because my walls are whinstone, but it's an option.

Thanks for the advice!

10 hours ago, ScottishTapWater said:

Thanks for the advice!

Id say get the speakers, put em on boxes but make sure to put a piece of wood under them (so the box doesnt become a massive resonance chamber completly) and see what works best

Got the speakers... Only just realised my TV has none of Bluetooth, RCA, or Aux... So know any decent (but cheap) optical to RCA DACs?

3 hours ago, ScottishTapWater said:

Got the speakers... Only just realised my TV has none of Bluetooth, RCA, or Aux... So know any decent (but cheap) optical to RCA DACs?

there all pretty much the same really. just depends on how much you want to pay....checking reviews gives you the best idea if they are any good
https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Z6IR2CKJTWC&keywords=optical+to+RCA&sprefix=optical+to+rca%2Caps%2C374&sr=8-3

On 5/2/2023 at 3:56 PM, circeseye said:

there all pretty much the same really. just depends on how much you want to pay....checking reviews gives you the best idea if they are any good
https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Z6IR2CKJTWC&keywords=optical+to+RCA&sprefix=optical+to+rca%2Caps%2C374&sr=8-3

I went for this one in the end, seems to come quite highly recommended 🙂 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071WLVXN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In terms of layout why don't you have the tv parallel with the flat wall? This will allow you to achieve a great surround sound system.

Don't make any excuses otherwise you will suffer from a poor setup.

Corner setups are horrible and yes I've got personal experience with it.

On 5/9/2023 at 1:34 PM, sm1th5 said:

In terms of layout why don't you have the tv parallel with the flat wall? This will allow you to achieve a great surround sound system.

Don't make any excuses otherwise you will suffer from a poor setup.

Corner setups are horrible and yes I've got personal experience with it.

Because then I'd be looking at the TV from an angle and I value being able to see it more than I value the sound quality.

How about you make some sense and have the tv on a flat wall and a couch opposite it. Think of it as two lines. One for a tv and the other for a couch. If it's off at a angle. It will cause you to turn your neck and this is uncomfortable and unenjoyable.

And audio is just as important as the visuals.

It's a two part experience. 

If you choose to neglect either of them and you will be guaranteed to have poor time.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:34 AM, sm1th5 said:

How about you make some sense and have the tv on a flat wall and a couch opposite it. Think of it as two lines. One for a tv and the other for a couch. If it's off at a angle. It will cause you to turn your neck and this is uncomfortable and unenjoyable.

And audio is just as important as the visuals.

It's a two part experience. 

If you choose to neglect either of them and you will be guaranteed to have poor time.

Yeah, I would, if that would fit in my living room. However, it doesn't and the current layout is the only one that is possible.