Old storinator case in LTT graveyard... me want!

sy5tem

Hi,

Well i saw those storinator in your SERVER video in the graveyard..

i wanted one of those storinator case 4 ever! lol...

could you give /sell one one those?

im using a Dell EMC Isilon X400 with 36x2tb for zfs snapshots of my

QUMULO NAS QC208 36x2tb main nas.. both truenas scale

with 2x vmware esxi for virtualisation...

supermicro x10dri 2x e5 2680 v4 256gb

both NAS are like airplane in there wish i could get on of those storinator of yours pretty please!

with 4x 1500va ups

and 10gb unifi swich..

all recycled stuff except the NAS , i had to buy everything used of ebay!

20230426_072537.jpg

Well firstly, give me your current equipment... /s

No, they won't give you a server, they'll probably use it as a sandbox or another production unit 

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

2 hours ago, sy5tem said:

Hi,

Well i saw those storinator in your SERVER video in the graveyard..

i wanted one of those storinator case 4 ever! lol...

could you give /sell one one those?

im using a Dell EMC Isilon X400 with 36x2tb for zfs snapshots of my

QUMULO NAS QC208 36x2tb main nas.. both truenas scale

with 2x vmware esxi for virtualisation...

supermicro x10dri 2x e5 2680 v4 256gb

both NAS are like airplane in there wish i could get on of those storinator of yours pretty please!

with 4x 1500va ups

and 10gb unifi swich..

all recycled stuff except the NAS , i had to buy everything used of ebay!

If you want one, go to protocase/45 drives like everyone else.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:19 AM, Blue4130 said:

i did not know we could buy those 45 hdd cases alone... and there is nothing wrong with asking.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:22 PM, TheCoder2019 said:

Well firstly, give me your current equipment... /s

No, they won't give you a server, they'll probably use it as a sandbox or another production unit 

if i had a replacement case for my nas i would .. the noise on this nas is like a small airplane 24/24 7/7 ... the god darn psu fan are tiny whistle lol

funny i already asked how to get a 45 driver case and you replied to this thread..

it doesn't seems to be available for regular human...

i dont have 10k for a case...

8 minutes ago, sy5tem said:

funny i already asked how to get a 45 driver case and you replied to this thread..

it doesn't seems to be available for regular human...

i dont have 10k for a case...

Did you contact protocase? Regular humans can indeed buy from them.

5 hours ago, sy5tem said:

there is nothing wrong with asking

If it’s someone you know, like a friend, sure. But asking companies for free handouts isn’t really a thing. Put yourself in their shoes, why would it be worth their time to even consider this? Think of how many people have asked them for free stuff… 

5 hours ago, sy5tem said:

the noise on this nas is like a small airplane 24/24 7/7 ... the god darn psu fan are tiny whistle lol

What hardware is your NAS? Why not transplant it into a quieter case? If you need ~10 drives worth of space, normal ATX cases are optimal. If you need 24, Supermicro 4U’s with noctua 120mm fans and a normal desktop PSU is a great option. If you need more then 24…. 45 drives is basically the only option. 

I, and most others would argue, if you have enough harddrives to populate a 45 drives chassis, you probably do have the funds to buy a 45 drives chassis… or at least 2 4U Supermicro 24 bay’s. Use one as the main system, and run external SAS down to the second chsssis’s backplane and use the second box as a disc shelf. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

45drives actually posted in /r/homelab recently, looking for community input on what an ideal "prosumer" storage server from them should look like.

The vast, vast majority of the feedback said "you missed the point, we want to buy your chassis with just backplanes so we can add or own hardware".

Honestly, I agree with that. The other options are used "real" servers, or whitebox rack cases with terrible accessibility or outrageous pricing like the 4U Rosewill lineup. 

I would've loved to build my x99 home server in a 15-slot Storinator chassis, but the only close options on the market right now are "24 drive bits" Chia frames.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

45drives actually posted in /r/homelab recently, looking for community input on what an ideal "prosumer" storage server from them should look like.

The vast, vast majority of the feedback said "you missed the point, we want to buy your chassis with just backplanes so we can add or own hardware".

Honestly, I agree with that. The other options are used "real" servers, or whitebox rack cases with terrible accessibility or outrageous pricing like the 4U Rosewill lineup. 

I would've loved to build my x99 home server in a 15-slot Storinator chassis, but the only close options on the market right now are "24 drive bits" Chia frames.

I saw that and think the market really needs a low power NAS/Media Server with 4-8 SATA drives.  But they seem to want a higher end product, rather than starting off small and building up.

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

I saw that and think the market really needs a low power NAS/Media Server with 4-8 SATA drives.  But they seem to want a higher end product, rather than starting off small and building up.

You can already do that with some ITX cases, or even just a regular desktop chassis.

My problem is I have a dozen hard drives, a GPU, an HBA, a 10 gig card, and two PCIe SSDs. My options are 12-bay servers (loud, expensive), 4U whitebox chassis, towers that can accommodate three 5-in-3 bays (which cost $100 apiece), or the Fractal R7.

45 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You can already do that with some ITX cases, or even just a regular desktop chassis.

My problem is I have a dozen hard drives, a GPU, an HBA, a 10 gig card, and two PCIe SSDs. My options are 12-bay servers (loud, expensive), 4U whitebox chassis, towers that can accommodate three 5-in-3 bays (which cost $100 apiece), or the Fractal R7.

Same. The market has options in the form of ATX cases for 8 or less drives…. But the 8-12 drive option is not represented much at all. My Corsair case for my homelab gets me by perfectly for 10, plus 2 potentially can go in the CD drive slots. Works pretty well for my needs, but I am not sure they still make the 750D.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

It's not the case per say, although there are some small ones, non are quite there yet.  The main innovation required is an available SBC build for NAS with a software stack that works. 

3 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

It's not the case per say, although there are some small ones, non are quite there yet.  The main innovation required is an available SBC build for NAS with a software stack that works. 

I have been using the fractal xl and minus not being hot swappable (which at home I don't need) that case has been great. 

16 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

I have been using the fractal xl and minus not being hot swappable (which at home I don't need) that case has been great. 

Yeah I have a fractal case full of drives too, but for something that is small and quiet for home media server use isn't as easy to find (yes I know there are options, but generally aren't as good as a Synology or HP Microserver).

18 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Yeah I have a fractal case full of drives too, but for something that is small and quiet for home media server use isn't as easy to find (yes I know there are options, but generally aren't as good as a Synology or HP Microserver).

I think you are getting away from the OP topic, If he is looking for a storinator, he probably isn't looking for small or quiet. 😉

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I think you are getting away from the OP topic, If he is looking for a storinator, he probably isn't looking for small or quiet. 😉

Yeah, there's no shortage of small homemade NAS solutions. Even a cast-off corporate desktop should have room for just four hard drives.

There's a gap in the market between "tiny quiet box" and "screaming enterprise server". 

I just want an AV15-like server chassis that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Someone on the ServeTheHome forums posted alleged pricing for bare Storinator chassis from 45drives; this isn't verified but the AV15 cost 5x as much as the Rosewill L4500U I ultimately settled on.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/just-the-storinator-chassis-are-for-sale-at-45drives-com.35968/

Someone else on this very forum contacted them in 2019 and got pricing as well:

This is about the closest thing I've been able to find for a reasonable price (sub-$250):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384855806373

26 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yeah, there's no shortage of small homemade NAS solutions. Even a cast-off corporate desktop should have room for just four hard drives.

There's a gap in the market between "tiny quiet box" and "screaming enterprise server". 

I just want an AV15-like server chassis that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Someone on the ServeTheHome forums posted alleged pricing for bare Storinator chassis from 45drives; this isn't verified but the AV15 cost 5x as much as the Rosewill L4500U I ultimately settled on.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/just-the-storinator-chassis-are-for-sale-at-45drives-com.35968/

This is about the closest thing I've been able to find for a reasonable price (sub-$250):

I have also contacted protocase, but it was before they bought/merged with protocase. Protocase quoted me nearly $2k for a one-off custom case. Needless to say, i declined. I like fancy things, but a $2k case is a bit too far.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

I have also contacted protocase, but it was before they bought/merged with protocase. Protocase quoted me nearly $2k for a one-off custom case. Needless to say, i declined. I like fancy things, but a $2k case is a bit too far.

And while I am sure protocase messages great products, this is the problem with one of custom work that makes it unattainable to individuals. There are not any mass manufacturers of a product like this that I have found. Just not that many sales to warrant it I guess. 

17 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

And while I am sure protocase messages great products, this is the problem with one of custom work that makes it unattainable to individuals. There are not any mass manufacturers of a product like this that I have found. Just not that many sales to warrant it I guess. 

That's the rub. People that are jamming dozens of drives in a case tend to be doing so for business reason and then tend to go with a full server from someone like45drives or pure, or dell or hpe, not diy.

The homelab market is just too niche.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

That's the rub. People that are jamming dozens of drives in a case tend to be doing so for business reason and then tend to go with a full server from someone like45drives or pure, or dell or hpe, not diy.

The homelab market is just too niche.

Exactly. That is why for mine and small stuff I just use fractal design. 

It is a great layout and one of few options that have fans right in front of the drives. Most home lab stuff didn't need more than 8 or 10 drives. The define r5 does that well and can be very silent. I like that case too because of the side fan you can put in to get air flow over the hba.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:22 PM, Needfuldoer said:

indeed

On 5/2/2023 at 8:01 AM, Blue4130 said:

way too expensive

On 5/2/2023 at 7:33 AM, Needfuldoer said:

wow 24hdd case it really nice and affordable .. to

yeah too expensive , the

On 5/1/2023 at 8:30 AM, Blue4130 said:

Did you contact protocase? Regular humans can indeed buy from them.

yes i did they want me to send them a CAD file . i don;t know how to CAD. also looking at this thread it seems its over 2k for a..case... outside budget by a mile.

--------------------------

Don't forget i got this all for free.. except

qumulo serer paid 850$ CND

80 hdd 2tb ... go deals on ebay for them about 20$ CND each (2tb SAS HUS723020ALS640) like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224405865281  (bought multiple lot over a span of 3 years.

i have a LOT of drivers / apps / iso i collected over the years (im 46) , it really useful when you need a windows xp machine for a project you know.

even tho its as lot of server i posted ii am not rich! i am just a passionate IT guy who love to play with server stuff..this all went to recycling , that's it, And this way i am learning thing and can't break my customer stuff.

i have 2 server with 40 x2tb each. 1 is my all my data , other is a target for the zfs replication...

i've been looking for a case that can hold as many drive as possible with redondant PSU , that use bigger fan then those 92mm/80mm and 40mm psu fan's. for ever....

when i saw those storinator i was like oh wow easy to install/remove hdd .. no tray with 1 bazillions scew.. big fan and 4u space for good cpu coolers and can use regular full size raid card (less expensive)

my 2 "nas" cases are 4u BUT motherboard fit in middle , so i only have 2u ... 😞

20230428_110554.jpg