Questions regarding setting up Asus AiMesh + Access points

Hello all. So in my household, we need a couple routers to cover the whole house. We currently have 2 Asus Zenwifi XT8 setup in AiMesh, (1 main connected to modem, 1 Node connected via MoCA). In the last area, i have set up an old asus router (AC66U) in AP mode connected via MoCA to the Zenwifi AiMesh.

Couple of questions;

1) I have set up the AC66u with the same SSID and password as the AiMesh network. Is this correct or should the AP have its own name? This area is mainly accessed by my parents who arent very tech literate so my main goal is for it to work seemlessly without having to reconnect to another network manually.

2) The AiMesh system is Wifi 6 enabled, but the AP is only Wifi 5. How will i know when the device has swapped over to the AP and does this happen automatically?

On 4/26/2023 at 2:53 AM, Bananamcfly said:

1) I have set up the AC66u with the same SSID and password as the AiMesh network. Is this correct or should the AP have its own name? This area is mainly accessed by my parents who arent very tech literate so my main goal is for it to work seemlessly without having to reconnect to another network manually.

That's OK.

Give it same security/encryption as your other WiFi broadcasts, but different non-overlapping broadcast channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (to avoid interference with your other APs and your neighbours' WiFi).

On 4/26/2023 at 2:53 AM, Bananamcfly said:

2) The AiMesh system is Wifi 6 enabled, but the AP is only Wifi 5. How will i know when the device has swapped over to the AP and does this happen automatically?

It should happen automatically since this is (for the most part) dependent on the client device. However, you can help clients by making sure that strong AP broadcasts aren't in close proximity to each other or else they will "stick" to an already-strong signal. You can try reducing the power output on the various antennae if this is the case. But if the other AP is already at the fringes of a progressively-weakening signal, your client should switch to the stronger signal without you having to do anything.