Programming Student/ Minecraft Enthusiast**trigger warning** bad cable management and mess, sorry linus

Upgrading from a PC I bought 2nd hand

Budget (including currency): $2-5000CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

for school I use visual studio code, visual studio, MySQL server management studio, Microsoft SQL server, and  GitHub desktop for programming projects for school.

For designing projects at school I use Adobe suite, primarily Photoshop and illustrator. I often check dev tools among several different browsers to confirm that my web code did what it was supposed to do. 

For gaming, I play Minecraft, Minecraft dungeons and Apex.

Although I've been wanting to get more into the side of Minecraft that users often encounter a significant lag or drop in fps.

I also use my oculus quest 2 with my PC by linking via a quest rift cable or a usb c cable essentially(I think that's what the cable is called)

Other consoles I own:

- PS4 

- Nintendo Switch Pro

(I think that's the newest ones model name)

- Oculus Quest 2

Only mentioning my consoles in the event I want to connect them to my PC for something in the future.

My current phone is a Google pixel 6 Pro, and my headphones are the newer SteelSeries artis nova pro wired, and I'm stating this for the same reason as the consoles above.

$Funding$

Currently because of a disability grant I qualify for because of my epilepsy, I am allowed $20,000 max in my lifetime for money that's free basically for a "computer package" this amount isn't provided all at once instead it is given in 4 parts and I have recieved $5000 already.

Other details

Current Laptop: Acer Nitro

(Also have 4 other laptops: Lenovo, chromebook, some Toshiba brick thing, and a crappy $100 one I still have)

Current PC

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory:

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory

*There are 2 plugged into motherboard currently*

- G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory

*There is 1 plugged in*

Case:

- Antec P20C ATX Mid Tower Case 

Power Supply:

- Cooler Master MWE White V2 230V 400 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit

(existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Link to my current PC Components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W6LmXy

there are some I haven't figured out what they are fyi, and I'm having issues with power to my keyboard and mouse with the PC (I've checked that they still work when connecting to my laptop), I'm also troubleshooting the connection to my monitor that that I can run a user benchmark test on it and then update this post accordingly.

PXL_20230425_205612766.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205636230.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205636230.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205640551.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205646873.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205659885.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205710563.MP.jpg

PXL_20230425_205720101.MP.jpg

I mean your psu is a blowy uppy unit so no wonder you're having power issues :p.

Btw 5k on a pc is silly so i'd say spend money on things that LAST and upgrade the pc slightly over time which will make it cheaper and last longer over the long term.

So i'd actually say get a nice screen, audio(speakers) as those last forever (I recommend passive ones with an amp so you only need to replace one part if something goes broke in like a couple decades), your steelseries cable can be replaced if it's bad it's about 15$,...

As for pc I'm not entirely sure what you want rn. Do you want to reuse you old one as a mc server?

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Btw 5k on a pc is silly

Yeah but that's 5k Canadian money, which is like...400$ in real world cash 🤪

(I kid! I kid! but yeah, I agree with you, 2K tops...)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

As a programmer myself i can confirm this is what all our setups look like

As for the pc, like jaslion said, 5k on a pc is way too much, how much you want to spend is dependant on you and what you plan to use the pc. From what youve said, the things your planning to use the pc for arent too demanding so you dont need to spend 5k on a pc, but if you rly want you can.

57 minutes ago, Michael essex said:

$Funding$

Currently because of a disability grant I qualify for because of my epilepsy, I am allowed $20,000 max in my lifetime for money that's free basically for a "computer package" this amount isn't provided all at once instead it is given in 4 parts and I have recieved $5000 already.

If you're putting $20,000 towards a PC, it better be doing some serious science.

For a personal build, if I'm making it myself, I would have a hard time spending more than $3500 or so. Very high end graphics card and CPU, paired with a motherboard that has slightly more features than I need, nothing crazy. Decent CPU cooler rather than something exotic or excessive (I'm not trying to break records), plenty of SSD storage (I would probably need 4TB max, personally.) And some tasteful, definitely not excessive, LED lights.

For your own tastes, what are you going for ? Do you have a particular aesthetic you might be able to put the full $5000 towards meaningfully?

32 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Moved to Build Logs-

The thread is kind of ambiguous, but is OP not asking for part suggestions? Granted there are a lot of details about current hardware that are a bit unnecessary 

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

30 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The thread is kind of ambiguous, but is OP not asking for part suggestions? Granted there are a lot of details about current hardware that are a bit unnecessary 

It's certainly ambiguous, but I'm fine with leaving it here for now until things get a bit cleared up.

My first few times through, it was a little difficult to spot the "new builds and planning" feeling, though that could be me.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 hours ago, Spoon3775 said:

As a programmer myself i can confirm this is what all our setups look like

As for the pc, like jaslion said, 5k on a pc is way too much, how much you want to spend is dependant on you and what you plan to use the pc. From what youve said, the things your planning to use the pc for arent too demanding so you dont need to spend 5k on a pc, but if you rly want you can.

Where do I start though?

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

If you're putting $20,000 towards a PC, it better be doing some serious science.

For a personal build, if I'm making it myself, I would have a hard time spending more than $3500 or so. Very high end graphics card and CPU, paired with a motherboard that has slightly more features than I need, nothing crazy. Decent CPU cooler rather than something exotic or excessive (I'm not trying to break records), plenty of SSD storage (I would probably need 4TB max, personally.) And some tasteful, definitely not excessive, LED lights.

For your own tastes, what are you going for ? Do you have a particular aesthetic you might be able to put the full $5000 towards meaningfully?

Keep in mind I'm a 1st year Software student and the most I've learned from hardware is Linus's YouTube channel, better to give to much info than not enough I guess aha

I apologize everyone for the word vomit as I can do that often. The content in the post is what I am working with, and I would like to upgrade in the best way possible for my needs, as I am still very fresh to the hardware world and I just started learning about it because I came into the funding that I mentioned. Obviously I want to save money by using some of my current parts but I'm not opposed to simply buying everything brand new. I have no idea what I am doing tbh and I am open to ideas, if you're willing to help.

I'm sorry, but I cannot phantom how people can work/live like this.

Pens and paper scraps on the floor, crumbs on the chair, dirt everywhere, it's vile. Clean up before upgrading...please

When that mess is cleaned up, spend 2k on the PC and leave the rest to upgrade as parts become redundant, dropping 20k on a PC now is silly and you'll get 10 years out of it then be left with no funds to upgrade

7 hours ago, JoeyButterhands said:

When that mess is cleaned up, spend 2k on the PC and leave the rest to upgrade as parts become redundant, dropping 20k on a PC now is silly

Could spend $20K on a maid service instead lol

11 hours ago, Michael essex said:

apologize everyone for the word vomit as I can do that often. The content in the post is what I am working with, and I would like to upgrade in the best way possible for my needs, as I am still very fresh to the hardware world and I just started learning about it because I came into the funding that I mentioned.

For a less experienced PC builder, you'll have a hard time putting all $5000 CAD to good use so I will recommend this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nTCx78

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($549.00 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.50 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($266.04 @ iSanek) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($129.97 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($145.43 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1649.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: NZXT H5 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($113.66 @ iSanek) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($17.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($17.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $3129.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-26 10:16 EDT-0400

This list will get you all the essentials of a top tier gaming build, also great for development. Powerful CPU and GPU, plenty of wiggle room in the budget for desired additions like a nice monitor, more RGB fans, etc.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

17 hours ago, JoeyButterhands said:

I'm sorry, but I cannot phantom how people can work/live like this.

Pens and paper scraps on the floor, crumbs on the chair, dirt everywhere, it's vile. Clean up before upgrading...please

When that mess is cleaned up, spend 2k on the PC and leave the rest to upgrade as parts become redundant, dropping 20k on a PC now is silly and you'll get 10 years out of it then be left with no funds to upgrade

Dude I am just trying to use my disability grant to help me with school, and I've been crawling out of a depression because I've had to attend 2 funerals for my grandparents this year and then recently my mother was diagnosed with cancer, so yeah it's been a rough year for me and I recently my room/ work space is embarrassing and disgusting but I'm trying to make the best with what I got and I decided to come here for help. Comments like that are justified but not entirely necessary.

6 hours ago, Michael essex said:

Dude I am just trying to use my disability grant to help me with school, and I've been crawling out of a depression because I've had to attend 2 funerals for my grandparents this year and then recently my mother was diagnosed with cancer, so yeah it's been a rough year for me and I recently my room/ work space is embarrassing and disgusting but I'm trying to make the best with what I got and I decided to come here for help. Comments like that are justified but not entirely necessary.

My apologies if my post offended you. Good luck, sounds like you need some upliftment.

From someone struggling with depression, the quickest change you can make is to force yourself to clean, it'll be hard when you start or even to get started, but if you can manage to focus that negative energy into your cleaning, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes to your outlook on life.

Again, I'm sorry I offended and good luck!