want to make a private rust server, wondering if either of these options i already have would work?

bmx6454
Go to solution Solved by onlybuilt4cubanxlinx,
22 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

Option 1 my dude.

hello, i was hoping someone with experience making a rust server could tell me if either of my two options would be possible, or not.

option 1 (preferred if possible to run, already owned): 3570k, 16gb ram 1600, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, igpu

option 2 (my current gaming pc) : 3700x, 16gb 3600, rtx 3080

if i was to use my gaming pc, is it possible to run the server, and play the game on the same pc at the same time? also, afaik, if i used my gaming pc, i would most likely need to expand ram to run both, or could it work with 16gb? i'm trying to do this on the free/cheap if possible, if not, it is what it is. the main use of the server would be for some solo play and learning about modding a server, to learn a bit about running a server, and if possible, make it accessible for a few friends to play on, my internet should be sufficient for that, but the hardware may not be. as far as map size, not sure, the biggest i could run if any, and max people would be a dozen or less. i know i could rent a server, and this would be way easier, and probably a lot better, but it seems like it could be a fun learning experience.

thanks in advance!

47 minutes ago, manikyath said:

rust dedicated server only needs 4GB RAM, and "some dual-core".

35 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Option 1 my dude.

cool, thanks for the responses. i wasn't sure since servers are very much out of my area of knowledge lol. i saw some searches coming up with 4gb, and dual core, but they were all years old, so wasn't sure if this is still accurate. i also wasn't sure if igpu would be fine, i didn't see anything mentioning there being any graphic requirements, so figured dgpu wasn't needed.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:38 PM, bmx6454 said:

cool, thanks for the responses. i wasn't sure since servers are very much out of my area of knowledge lol. i saw some searches coming up with 4gb, and dual core, but they were all years old, so wasn't sure if this is still accurate. i also wasn't sure if igpu would be fine, i didn't see anything mentioning there being any graphic requirements, so figured dgpu wasn't needed.

Best of luck with the server.