How bad is it to pair a 13400f with an H610 motherboad?

Due to budget constraints I have to make this compromise, I'll be pairing the 13400f with ASUS Prime H610M-K

Is this really that bad? Will I be losing any noticable performance due to power limitations or something else? Is there anything I'm unaware of?

(This combo will cost me 3 months worth of salary, so yes I really cannot extend my budget any more than that.)

2 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

no you should be fine.

Glad to her that, What about XMP? will it be supported?

Just now, Ymss said:

Glad to her that, What about XMP? will it be supported?

yh pretty much all mobos support it. these h610 mobos are made for i3s and i5s

3 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

Alright then TYSM!

Just now, Ymss said:

Alright then TYSM!

if ur issue solved it mark one of my posts as the soloution so people know that you dont have a probelm any more

1 minute ago, Tomberry said:

if ur issue solved it mark one of my posts as the soloution so people know that you dont have a probelm any more

Got it.

16 minutes ago, Ymss said:

Due to budget constraints I have to make this compromise, I'll be pairing the 13400f with ASUS Prime H610M-K

Is this really that bad? Will I be losing any noticable performance due to power limitations or something else? Is there anything I'm unaware of?

(This combo will cost me 3 months worth of salary, so yes I really cannot extend my budget any more than that.)

1. The board DOES NOT SUPPORT 13TH GEN WITHOUT A BIOS UPDATE!!!

2. The board had issues running a 12600k at stock due to poor vrms

So whilst it can work and boot upnif you manage to get the bios updated by someone with a 12th gen cpu the board is so shit it can't even run the 13400 at full speed.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So whilst it can work and boot upnif you manage to get the bios updated by someone with a 12th gen cpu the board is so shit it can't even run the 13400 at full speed.

Shoot, I'll ask the store to perform the bios update.
What about the Gigabyte H610M S2H? Is it any better?

3 minutes ago, Ymss said:

The best h610 board is the asus h610m e d4. It looks very similar to the one you lised but they are slightly different and the difference is about a 15% drop in cpu performance.

The ds2h is amongst the worst.

Even the d4 its recommended to have a fan pointed directly at the vrms.

3 minutes ago, Ymss said:

Nope. It's pretty easy to check this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H610M-S2H-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-cpu

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

it should be updated by now 13th gen has been out for ages. a i3 uses ess power than a i5

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The best h610 board is the asus h610m e d4. It looks very similar to the one you lised but they are slightly different and the difference is about a 15% drop in cpu performance.

So it will throttle without a fan? the 610m-e is available but from a different store. 

Does that mean the h610m-k  d4 ( the one I listed) is going to limit the cpu by 15%? will that be consistent or will it continue to go lower under load? Sorry for aasking a lot of questions but I have to make sure.

10 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

it should be updated by now 13th gen has been out for ages. a i3 uses ess power than a i5

I'm buying a 13400f not an i3 

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

there is also the gigabyte h610 s2 (without the "h") any difference? Is there a place where I could compare them without having to bother you?

7 minutes ago, Ymss said:

I'm asking about power/performance issues, not compatibility

Yeah should be just fine. 13400F draws ~120W max 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, Ymss said:

there is also the gigabyte h610 s2 (without the "h") any difference? Is there a place where I could compare them without having to bother you?

Slightly different I/O layout:

image.png.17d409addf7625b50a792a7d8fa9c0ff.png

image.png.ce283cc2d277bfd2e1fe6bbd4fe42378.png

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Slightly different I/O layout:

image.png.17d409addf7625b50a792a7d8fa9c0ff.png

image.png.ce283cc2d277bfd2e1fe6bbd4fe42378.png

So it's only a difference in the layout. 

~there is also the gigabyte M H ( I looked it up online but I dunno where to find the difference in VRM capabilities, power limitations..etc)

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah should be just fine. 13400F draws ~120W max 

And any h610 should be able to handle that? 

21 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

Intel boards have a history of NOT updating their previous series boards like ever

50 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

The H610 boards do not support memory overclocking and so are limited to the official memory spec of the processor. So for DDR4, that's DDR4-3200.

So while they technically will support XMP, if the XMP profile is over the rated speed of the CPU, it won't work.

it probably will work fine, but i'd advise against it. i've used a cheap board like that on a 7th gen i5 and that board died after like a year. 

wether a board will work is not the only thing to consider. higher end boards in my experience last longer. i'm currently running a 4670K in a Z-series board from the era, still totally fine. that's a 10 year old setup at this point. 

for your usecase i'd advise spending a little bit more and getting the next tier up in the intel chipset range, whatever they call it now. super cheap stuff is just... you get what you pay for lol. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Ymss said:

So it's only a difference in the layout. 

~there is also the gigabyte M H ( I looked it up online but I dunno where to find the difference in VRM capabilities, power limitations..etc)

And any h610 should be able to handle that?

H610 boards are generally really bad. I would only use one for an i3 or Pentium build, and even that would be a hard pill to swallow. They don't support memory overclocking, their VRMs are awful.

What is your budget and what region of the world are you in? There may be a way to fit a reasonable B660 board in the build.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

H610 boards are generally really bad. I would only use one for an i3 or Pentium build, and even that would be a hard pill to swallow. They don't support memory overclocking, their VRMs are awful.

What is your budget and what region of the world are you in? There may be a way to fit a reasonable B660 board in the build.

I'm from Egypt. my budget is around $390 (~$55 of which are going to ram) So that leaves me with $335 for the CPU+Mobo 

The cheapest 13400f I have found was costs $220 So I only got $115 for the motherboard.

12 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

it probably will work fine, but i'd advise against it. i've used a cheap board like that on a 7th gen i5 and that board died after like a year. 

wether a board will work is not the only thing to consider. higher end boards in my experience last longer. i'm currently running a 4670K in a Z-series board from the era, still totally fine. that's a 10 year old setup at this point. 

for your usecase i'd advise spending a little bit more and getting the next tier up in the intel chipset range, whatever they call it now. super cheap stuff is just... you get what you pay for lol. 

Hmm yeah I get what your saying. Not sure what I will have to do to make a b660 fit my budget though.