PC not booting after applying new thermal paste

xander9311
Go to solution Solved by xander9311,
36 minutes ago, xander9311 said:

I will now completely take apart my pc and will rebuild it. I will tell if it worked or not when i am finished.

I have unplugged all cables, changed PSU, changed ram, changed GPU and now finally it boots. Still do not know what caused all of this but i am very glad my CPU was not damaged

I am using a 2 fan aio liquid cpu cooler.

Already checked if there was enough thermal paste and it is not screwed on too tight. Also i can hear the water pump spinning so it is definitely correct connected.

Anyone can come up with a solution?

The 24 pin and CPU 4/8 pin being wiggled during installation may happen (it happened to me), resulting in non-booting but powered up.

Other cable culprit is SATA cable.

I know it sounds silly but you should considering reseating the aforementioned cables.

11 minutes ago, Goldilock said:

The 24 pin and CPU 4/8 pin being wiggled during installation may happen (it happened to me), resulting in non-booting but powered up.

Other cable culprit is SATA cable.

I know it sounds silly but you should considering reseating the aforementioned cables.

I have just re plugged the cables in that you mentioned. It did not change anything about my situation.

6 minutes ago, xander9311 said:

I have just re plugged the cables in that you mentioned. It did not change anything about my situation.

Both SATA data cable and power cable?.

Do you have graphic into monitor? if not, GPU power cable need to be reseated too.

Other than that I'm out of advice.

14 minutes ago, Goldilock said:

Both SATA data cable and power cable?.

Do you have graphic into monitor? if not, GPU power cable need to be reseated too.

Other than that I'm out of advice.

I have checked every cable again. And re plugged them all in and yet i still have the same issue.

I was looking some more online about this and someone said that the old thermal paste could get in the cpu socket when wiping it. Could that be the case or not since i did not remove cpu?

Also can it harm if i have screwed the cooler on too tight?

1 minute ago, xander9311 said:

I have checked every cable again. And re plugged them all in and yet i still have the same issue.

I was looking some more online about this and someone said that the old thermal paste could get in the cpu socket when wiping it. Could that be the case or not since i did not remove cpu?

Also can it harm if i have screwed it on too tight?

If you did not remove the CPU it's very unlikely. It needs to short the CPU pin, which if seated in motherboard is air tight. Liquid metal yes it could, but old regular thermal paste I'm not sure it can be that bad.

Screw too tight, yeah that might be a thing. But IMO it need to "old car mechanic over-torqued" to kill CPU. I think Linus had this issue, the PC still post albeit cannot get into windows (someone correct me on this). 

31 minutes ago, Goldilock said:

If you did not remove the CPU it's very unlikely. It needs to short the CPU pin, which if seated in motherboard is air tight. Liquid metal yes it could, but old regular thermal paste I'm not sure it can be that bad.

Screw too tight, yeah that might be a thing. But IMO it need to "old car mechanic over-torqued" to kill CPU. I think Linus had this issue, the PC still post albeit cannot get into windows (someone correct me on this). 

I will now completely take apart my pc and will rebuild it. I will tell if it worked or not when i am finished.

36 minutes ago, xander9311 said:

I have unplugged all cables, changed PSU, changed ram, changed GPU and now finally it boots. Still do not know what caused all of this but i am very glad my CPU was not damaged