Changes to the firefox update (29.0.1) and how to restore them.

Delano.888

This is know a thread on how to restore stupid changes :P

So some of you might have had the new improved firefox update today (29.0.1). Holy **** do I hate change. But yeah gotta go with it. After booting I had like 10 new problems that weren't there before. I fixed 9. Hope someone here can help me find the 10th.

Before the update, there were 2 bookmarks buttons. 1 opened the sidebar. You know, the old stile bookmarks sidebar that took up a good 10% on the side of your screen. I always used that. Now there's only the other button left, which opens a MENU, which then has a button to open the sidebar. So that is an extra stupid step, because I use this like 100 times a day.

Does anybody know, if there is a way, to get the bookmarks sidebar direct button back? I looked in the add-ons but it's not there. ("old bookmarks sidebar" does something else).

Maybe there is a way to change the buttons function?

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

Ctrl+B will open the bookmark sidebar (at least in the current nightly so it should in release)

HTTP/2 203

Ctrl+B will open the bookmark sidebar (at least in the current nightly so it should in release)

Yeah but I'd like a button like I always had..

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=ss apparently allows it.

Disclaimer: It was linked by the developer of another addon in response to a comment.

Yes, that is even better! Thanks x1000 for that. I like this more, because the big orange firefox button that was gone, messed up my pinned bookmarks placement, that is now fixed as well. Thanks again.

Now, do you maybe also know something to get the star back in the url bar? You know the little star to add a bookmark, that has also changed place and I'd like it back in the url bar if possible.

Spoiler

Yes, that is even better! Thanks x1000 for that. I like this more, because the big orange firefox button that was gone, messed up my pinned bookmarks placement, that is now fixed as well. Thanks again.

Now, do you maybe also know something to get the star back in the url bar? You know the little star to add a bookmark, that has also changed place and I'd like it back in the url bar if possible.

Yeah, because I did that too :Dhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/starbuttoninurlbar/

It looks slightly different, but it's not really a big deal, and it seems to work.

HTTP/2 203

install classic theme  restorer

my FF looks exactly like the old FF

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yeah, because I did that too :Dhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/starbuttoninurlbar/

It looks slightly different, but it's not really a big deal, and it seems to work.

Wow dude. You're awesome did you know that?

install classic theme  restorer

my FF looks exactly like the old FF

Yeah we did that thanks, now we're figuring out other stuff :P

Spoiler

colonel_mortis, last one:

Before I had a separate refresh button, which also was the stop button. It disappeared, and got back with the classic add-on.

However, now, they're not combining anymore, they're now 2 buttons.

Happen to know that one as well?

Spoiler

colonel_mortis, last one:

Before I had a separate refresh button, which also was the stop button. It disappeared, and got back with the classic add-on.

However, now, they're not combining anymore, they're now 2 buttons.

Happen to know that one as well?

I don't know, but you can try either looking in the classic theme restorer settings or clicking the menu button (new one, 3 lines) -> customise and see if you can drag them on top of each other or something. Without CTR, they are combined for me at the end of the URL bar.

HTTP/2 203

I don't know, but you can try either looking in the classic theme restorer settings or clicking the menu button (new one, 3 lines) -> customise and see if you can drag them on top of each other or something. Without CTR, they are combined for me at the end of the URL bar.

Yes they're combined in the url bar. But the old big button went away and came back with the theme restorer. But the big old button doesn't combine anymore. And this one:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/smart-refresh/?src=search

Doesn't fix it for me.

Anyhow, that's just a small little thing, I'll look more into it or just let it be.  Thanks for everything.

Now someone else is going to ask something (got a pm) so you mind sticking around?

Spoiler

Just FYI: this is almost perfectly like it looked before, just the big buttons used to combine, but I can live with that:

http://i.imgur.com/s8lZ3Z2.png

Spoiler

Just FYI: this is almost perfectly like it looked before, just the big buttons used to combine, but I can live with that:

http://i.imgur.com/s8lZ3Z2.png

You got enough shortcuts pinned to the URL bar? :P

But I have downloaded CTR in nightly, and in options -> main -> General UI, you have the option to put the star button back in the URL bar and to combine Stop&reload buttons. You don't even need the separate star button addon.

And I will be online all day.

HTTP/2 203

You got enough shortcuts pinned to the URL bar? :P

But I have downloaded CTR in nightly, and in options -> main -> General UI, you have the option to put the star button back in the URL bar and to combine Stop&reload buttons. You don't even need the separate star button addon.

And I will be online all day.

Lol you should see my bookmarks sidebar. I always have the sidebar full with bookmarks I use, and have just 1 folder with "old bookmarks" which contains about 500 :P

Didn't even find the settings at first, it all works now, awesome, thanks!

Spoiler

So while this thread's here, I can't even get core functionality to work. I open my browser and just get a blank tab - no "most visited" links. The main problem though is that "customize" in the menu just opens up a blank "about:customizing" page, even when all add-ons are disabled.

So while this thread's here, I can't even get core functionality to work. I open my browser and just get a blank tab - no "most visited" links. The main problem though is that "customize" in the menu just opens up a blank "about:customizing" page, even when all add-ons are disabled.

I don't have the most visited links either because I use a setting in tabmixplus for that. Do you have that? Sorry don't have a clue besides that.

Spoiler

I don't have the most visited links either because I use a setting in tabmixplus for that. Do you have that? Sorry don't have a clue besides that.

No. I typically use fastdial, but that doesn't come up in a new window either. I imagine that's just because the add-on needs to be updated or what have you, but I figure the default "blank tab" functionality should be working when you open a new window

assuming you're on FF29+, click the 3 lines -> ? -> Restart with addons disabled and see if it helps (it's more thorough than manually disabling them). If that doesn't work, try creating a new profile by closing FF then pressing Win+R -> firefox.exe -p -> New profile. If that doesn't work, have you tried reinstalling?

To get the most visited page, try typing about:newtab into the address bar, and you can set it as the default page to open on startup: Options -> General -> Show my home page (I had thought you could set specific tabs but perhaps you need an addon).

HTTP/2 203

No. I typically use fastdial, but that doesn't come up in a new window either. I imagine that's just because the add-on needs to be updated or what have you, but I figure the default "blank tab" functionality should be working when you open a new window

Well maybe fastdial is trying something but can't, but still blocks the default.

I noticed firefox auto updating feature is **** and updates like once every week or so. When stuff stops working, I always check the add-on page, and usually there is an update which firefox hasn't found by itself yet!

Spoiler

assuming you're on FF29+, click the 3 lines -> ? -> Restart with addons disabled and see if it helps (it's more thorough than manually disabling them). If that doesn't work, try creating a new profile by closing FF then pressing Win+R -> firefox.exe -p -> New profile. If that doesn't work, have you tried reinstalling?

To get the most visited page, try typing about:newtab into the address bar, and you can set it as the default page to open on startup: Options -> General -> Show my home page (I had thought you could set specific tabs but perhaps you need an addon).

I can still get to the most visited page by opening up a new new tab, I just don't want to be greeted by a blank white screen when I first open the window. Thinking about it, default functionality should be to show me my home page (which is what it's set to in the options menu), but again, it doesn't seem to get that far (clicking the home page button works fine).

Edit:

Well maybe fastdial is trying something but can't, but still blocks the default.

I noticed firefox auto updating feature is **** and updates like once every week or so. When stuff stops working, I always check the add-on page, and usually there is an update which firefox hasn't found by itself yet!

Like I say, it works with or without fastdial. These problems persist through "restart with addons disabled". About to try new profile/reinstall.

If you want to speed it up, you can change extensions.update.interval in about:config to a smaller value (it's in seconds AFAIK), and seems to default at least on my computer to 86400 which is 24 hours afaik.

HTTP/2 203

New profile and reinstall did not work. Firefox now spells "customise" correctly, but the button still either does nothing, or takes me to a blank "about:customizing" page.

Edit: Bam, Google-fu turned up someone with the same issue.

Edit II: Just discovered middle-clicking the refresh button in the address bar no longer "refreshes" the page in a new tab. I'm really not liking this update.

Edit III: Screw it, reverted to FF28. I don't understand why Mozilla continues to remove options and turn themselves into a chromeclone.

If you want to speed it up, you can change extensions.update.interval in about:config to a smaller value (it's in seconds AFAIK), and seems to default at least on my computer to 86400 which is 24 hours afaik.

Thanks! Strange, mine was also at 86400, but I'm 100% sure a few weeks ago I found an update which was a week old and firefox didn't have it yet.. Changed it to 12 hours just in case.

Also installed this, just in case:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/addon-update-checker/

Thanks again.

Spoiler

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=ss apparently allows it.

Disclaimer: It was linked by the developer of another addon in response to a comment.

thanks A lot, thats all I wanted, the compact menu back. They made a mistake. I think the other changes look nice

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.