How hard can it be to update 24GB of game? Intel QLC :

D.LT

With the drive only having 239GB capacity, it is probably having to do alot of moving stuff around just to find places to write the data.

It's like you've got a library that is mostly full of books and the libraian wants to put some new (super long) book series in on one of the shelves and in order, but that shelf already has lots of books on it. So they first have to move all of the old books to other places which means lots of walking round the library looking for empty spaces that are large enough to take the books and groups of books that are being moved.

Basically, updating 24GB of 239GB can be very hard if the drive already in use to a high degree, cause you have to make the space before you write the data, which is a nontrivial task.

How much of the 0.25TB of storage is used at the moment?

If your using more than 180GB of it then it's time to buy a new SSD/HDD for game storage. I recommend a 1TB Kingston NV2 for about £50 (depending on the use case of the machine).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

The 16 GB optane is used for caching often accessed content. It's not really used for fast writing. 

Toms hardware reviewed the 512 GB model, and that one had around 70 GB of SLC cache ( that's around half the total capacity of the drive) .. extrapolating from that, your 256 GB SSD would have up to around 32 GB of slc cache, provided you have enough free space .. 32 GB SLC = 128 GB QLC. 

The more you fill the drive, the less SLC write cache you'll have, and once the SCL cache portion is filled, the speed goes down to 40-50 MB/s the QLC is capable of.

Patching is often done by making a copy of original file and modifying bytes as the copy is made, and when the copy is complete the original is deleted... this is often done in case there's sudden power failures or crashes, nobody wants the only copy of the file to become corrupted or partially patched, making a full reinstall required.

So the writes caused by copying will fill your SLC cache fast and slow the patching process.

Guys, this is meant as a joke. I know how bad it is.

1) This is a AMD system, the Optane CANNOT be used

2) the QLC is even slower than even 50MB/s, when I was installing the game a month ago it took HALF a day to install and the SSD is only up to 40% used. Even when it was empty, when it went past 10GB with the OS installed, the SLC cache was already exhausted (this would roughly be 220GB left, so the SLC cache is a lot less on the 256GB QLC than the 512GB H10, and it spent most of the day at 20mb/s). Even when updating windows it felt more like a HDD system than it did a SSD system

3) that's my testbench
I have no lack of space on my main system...
image.png.9cd96d752dd7556e67cd5056b6252ea6.png

Well yes, cheaping out on gaming SSD, and it will work just fine, for playing games ( not direct storage ). 
But try to update the games, or just install it ( even downloading it, if you have fast internet, as it’s unpacking it on the fly). 

It’s not everyday use, but this is the situation, then money literally save your time ( and my time is expensive ).    

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

You have enough ram that you could probably set up a 26-28 GB ram disk, copy the game there and patch it in ram, or download the game in ram and copy to SSD once it's downloaded.

On 4/19/2023 at 2:31 AM, D.LT said:

the Optane CANNOT be used

It can, just not with Intel RST drivers. Check out primo cache, works equally well. It costs tho.

If you are not gonna use the Optane part, maybe better sell the drive and get a used TLC or QLC. For the same price of Optane H10, you can get a normal QLC drive double the space, this double the SLC cache. Not good, but fine. 

Then Optane H10 is designed to rely heavily on the Optane part to hide the QLC slowness. If you are not using the Optane part, the performance will be awful for sure. It's just a PCIE gen3 x2 QLC drive, pitiful.