Something Different... Portable Sound System Build Log.

TrueDerp

So, I would like to start this off by saying hi i'm TrueDerp and yes this is going to be something completely different. It has nothing to do with computers but it being a build log and all I decided to put it in here instead of somewhere else on the forums.

Please Read

It will make a lot more sense then...

This build log is going to be for a project that I have been planning for two years now. This project as I stated above has nothing to do with computers but instead music. I got the idea from a while ago when my friend threw a 2.1 channel speaker system for computers in a backpack to take to my house. Us being as lazy as we were just left it in the backpack and plugged it in, it didnt sound that bad then it struck me. Why not make a backpack with speakers in it. Being as young as I was (14 at that time, so yes that means i'm 16 I got into computers when I was young) I couldn't just go out and buy a speaker system rip it apart and then throw it all in a backpack. So over two years I have learned all I can about home and car audio. Being 16 now I have a job and can finally build what has been on my mind for two long years. Even with a job I wasnt planning on going out and buying new speakers just so I can rip them apart, to me it kind just seemed like a waist of, well brand new speakers haha. So instead I scavenged my house for old home/computer audio "things" I pulled out two 5.1 channel computer speakers. One was adele (dell) and the other was an old Kynio. The dell had a nice 4in 60W 6ohm subwoofer and came with 4 2in 5w 4ohm speakers and two 2X3in 5w 4ohm speakers. The kynio had a quite frankly amazing 5in 20w 4ohm subwoofer that in the original box would shake things off my dresser. It also came with five 3in speakers sadly they where old and the quality of them is not close to the dell speakers. Once I pulled out all the speakers I decided on which speakers I would use, I of course took the dell speakers and the kynio subwoofer. Then came the issue of, how the hell am I soposed to power these. I went out and bought a 12v 4amp atv battery, shortly after I purchased a 400w inverter off of amazon. This is where work halted for a long time, I was short a lot of cash and only recently got some more to spend and now we are here, in current time.

In the past few weeks I have finally gotten around to drafting the design for the speaker box that will go inside my backpack and provide all the components a place to be mounted to. Instead of drawing this out on cad I decided to go ahead and use some old drafting paper I have lying around and this is what I ended up with in the beginning. NDT7aPp.jpg

So all in all its pretty basic. Three days later I finally have come down to the final design.FMemQyW.jpg

I say final but its not quite the final design, I still need to fiddle around with the port's and how big they will be.

I'll leave this portion here for now, and update you in a couple of days about future plans like materials i'm going to use and other "interesting" things. Once again I would like to just put this out there that this isnt a computer build log... So you dont have to comment saying that it isn't one haha. This is indeed a Derp log that will stick out among others but I hope you all enjoy it, please voice your opinions I would love to see input on materials, design and other aspects of this "build".

Yours untruly

TrueDerp

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

I have to say the profile pic makes the entire thing

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Hmm, pretty neat! I'm interested to see where this goes. Subbed.

Do you have a concept of how you want it to turn out?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Do you have a concept of how you want it to turn out?

As of currently I intend this to be one of the hopefully many I make. I plan on selling this after its build and I have had my share of fun with it. Looks wise, i'm thinking of plasti dipping the whole thing to give it a better texture and a bit more protection, not to mention plasti dip is like a rubber once its on and it will help seal the box. Altho this is all later on, I still need to buy the wood to build the box in the first place haha.

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

update coming tomorrow :D

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

More pictures please..

Cheese

least I can say is interesting, so here take my sub.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You are using a car amp so check the max wattage output before plugging those small tweeters, you could blow them easily as they are not designed to be plugged in a car amp, but rather to those small car radio players with built in 50W x4 amps, also, that should be pretty heavy, especially with that (motorcycle?) battery

Can you show us your wiring plan ? 

EDIT : sorry just realised it's an inverter, where is your amp ?

You are using a car amp so check the max wattage output before plugging those small tweeters, you could blow them easily as they are not designed to be plugged in a car amp, but rather to those small car radio players with built in 50W x4 amps, also, that should be pretty heavy, especially with that (motorcycle?) battery

Can you show us your wiring plan ? 

EDIT : sorry just realised it's an inverter, where is your amp ?

Atm I do not have the amps, im leaning towards having two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YHC4LW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1QLZUO6BD70OD

My idea is to have one dedicated to the subwoofer and one dedicated to the speakers. My wiring will be set up in a parallel im going to split the speakers into pairs and then wire them up that way, its will leave a cleaner look and use less wires. I'll post pics of it later today.

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

least I can say is interesting, so here take my sub.

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

More pictures please..

I'm posting more pics today :)

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

UPDATE TIME

WITH PICS :)

Wiring setup: 49mCKeP.jpg

bottom and top of the Kinyo subwoofer: iqVVofD.jpg

PKL4Pdn.jpg

Bottom and top of the Dell speakers: lw51nfM.jpg

hw5Gxyh.jpg

The ATV battery: tAHtvWh.jpg

The inverter: 9FNatTC.jpg

Sorry for such low quality pictures, I do own a camera but cant find it so im stuck with the camera on my phone haha. I'll try to find it so I can provide better pictures for you all. :)

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

QUICK UPDATE TIME

I'm in the process of ordering the rest of the parts I need to finish the build excluding the wood that will make up the box. Hoping to have all the parts ready to be prewired and tested by wednesday night. I'll update the thread once all the parts arrive. hope you guys are liking it so far I know its a bit different from anything else on here but so far I haven't got any negative comments about it so I will keep updating until its all done. :D

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

like it so much im going to copy your setup but all in pink

haha so paint everything pink? xD

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

QUICK UPDATE TIME

I'm in the process of ordering the rest of the parts I need to finish the build excluding the wood that will make up the box. Hoping to have all the parts ready to be prewired and tested by wednesday night. I'll update the thread once all the parts arrive. hope you guys are liking it so far I know its a bit different from anything else on here but so far I haven't got any negative comments about it so I will keep updating until its all done. :D

Nice, I am interested.

I am wondering if you are also going to place foam for soundisolation inside the box or not, this might come in handy otherwise you will hear the sound bouncing around inside the box i think.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Nice, I am interested.

I am wondering if you are also going to place foam for soundisolation inside the box or not, this might come in handy otherwise you will hear the sound bouncing around inside the box i think.

Thanks im glad you like it :)

As for sound isolation its a hard decision I will have to make it after I completely finish building the box and putting the speakers in it and what not. Too much foam and it will ruin the sound, too little and it wont help at all. I'm thinking having sound isolating foam on the wall where the sub and speakers are divided that should cancel out any crossover between the two isolated "areas".

Yours untruely

TrueDerp

MOAR UPDATES :)

Two of the three last items are going to be arriving today, a battery charger, and two power brick converters for the two amps that will be arriving tomorrow. After these items arrive I will be posting high quality pictures since I have now found my camera. I hope you are all looking forward to it because I sure am. :D

Yours untruely

TrueDerp