Can i power on a GPU that needs 2 x 6+2pin with just one 6+2pin just to see if it works?

AlexVRO10
Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,
50 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

you cannot without modifying it.

wait for new psu is your best option.

sounds like it is not for you but you can power it up using an adaptor that splits the 6+2 into two 6+2 but now you are waiting for the adaptor in the same time the psu will arrive.

THIS.
Don't even try it or you might be waiting and paying yet again, just more $$ paid out the next time and probrably more waiting too.

You have more time than money here and you can't change the fact you'll be waiting on it so let that time pass and leave it alone untill the new PSU arrives. 

So i am getting a used Gigabyte White GTX 1080Ti and it need 2 6+2pin connectors, i am also getting a new psu in a few days, because mine is a 450w 80 plus njoy. It only has one 6+2pin.

The thing is the gpu arrives at my house sooner than the psu, and i wanna test the gpu just to see if it displays image/turns on until the new psu arrives, can i power it on with my current psu?

Also i want to mention i won't be playing games on it until i get the psu, just testing to see if it works

Most cards with multiple connectors won't successfully turn on with just one connector installed. This is actually one of the things that the new PCIe 5.0 spec connectors (the ones on Nvidia's newest cards) is able to address, as they tell the GPU how much power it has to work with based on the PSU and, for the adapters, based on how many 6+2 pins are connected.

Odds are, you're going to have to wait. Unless you happen to have a splitter handy, in which case, just don't use the card for very long and minimize the power limit and it should be okay.

i have a molex to 6 pin, i forgot but it only need an 8 pin and a 6 pin :)) but this adapter once fried my pc, not sure if it is the adapter or it was a different problem, but i will have to explain everything. Long story short i had a shitty 400w psu and hooked it up to a gtx 660 with that adapter. It worked for a few days, then i wanted to clean the pc, i opened it, cleaned it, then turned it on from the psu back button, i heard a click, and the gpu stopped working, the pc wouldn't turn on, and i had to change the gpu for it to turn on, it also broke my hdd at the time, so i don't know if the adapter still works, and i don't really want to risk a 300$ gpu just for 2 days of wait :)) i only want to see if the gpu displays an image

take it to someone who has a normal power supply to test it

sounds like it is not for you but you can power it up using an adaptor that splits the 6+2 into two 6+2 but now you are waiting for the adaptor in the same time the psu will arrive.

39 minutes ago, AlexVRO10 said:

So i am getting a used Gigabyte White GTX 1080Ti and it need 2 6+2pin connectors, i am also getting a new psu in a few days, because mine is a 450w 80 plus njoy. It only has one 6+2pin.

The thing is the gpu arrives at my house sooner than the psu, and i wanna test the gpu just to see if it displays image/turns on until the new psu arrives, can i power it on with my current psu?

Also i want to mention i won't be playing games on it until i get the psu, just testing to see if it works

I hope you are getting it for extremely cheap/free. Virtually every 1080ti in existence is well out of it's warranty period.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

43 minutes ago, AlexVRO10 said:

i have a molex to 6 pin, i forgot but it only need an 8 pin and a 6 pin :)) but this adapter once fried my pc, not sure if it is the adapter or it was a different problem, but i will have to explain everything. Long story short i had a shitty 400w psu and hooked it up to a gtx 660 with that adapter. It worked for a few days, then i wanted to clean the pc, i opened it, cleaned it, then turned it on from the psu back button, i heard a click, and the gpu stopped working, the pc wouldn't turn on, and i had to change the gpu for it to turn on, it also broke my hdd at the time, so i don't know if the adapter still works, and i don't really want to risk a 300$ gpu just for 2 days of wait :)) i only want to see if the gpu displays an image

You're better off not risking a perfectly good GTX 1080ti with a bad power supply and waiting.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

50 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

THIS.
Don't even try it or you might be waiting and paying yet again, just more $$ paid out the next time and probrably more waiting too.

You have more time than money here and you can't change the fact you'll be waiting on it so let that time pass and leave it alone untill the new PSU arrives. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

yes just got the gpu, im waiting for tommorow when the psu arrives, i got it for 185 dollars off a nice guy (im 15 and  told him its all my money)

the gpu looks great but i cannot say anything until the psu arrives, thanks for the help