Can I use adrenaline software for tuning and msi afterburner to display overlay?

Hi guys, first time user for AMD GPU.

I came from RTX 3070, so I'm used to using afterburner for both overclocking and in-game RTSS overlay.

Since I bought the 7900xtx, I heard that adrenaline is better for overclock and undervolt amd GPU, so I tried using it for tuning, and kept the afterburner for in-game overlay. 

However, I noticed so weird behavior for using both app in the same time, even though I set everything to default on afterburner, and just set tuning with adrenaline. The fan curve is bugged, and weird crashing happening.

My question is:

Will afterburner conflict with adrenaline and fight to reset my gpu tuning? Can I use both app at the same time, or better yet, disable the afterburner functions about tuning and fan curve control?

Ps. I know adrenaline also has in-game overlay, but since I can't seem to find a way to customize the overlay content, it won't do for me.

Thank you!

CPU i7-9700k / Motherboard z390 Aorus Elite / RAM 32GB 3200CL16 / GPU ASUS TUF OC Radeon RX 7900XTX / Case Bequiet PureBase 500DX / Storage 500G SATA SSD(OS) / 2TB Gen3 SSD/ 2TB Gen4 SSD / PSU Seasonic Focus GX-1000 / Display(s) ACER XB271HU / Cooling Corsair 240mm AIO

I searched in amd community forum and it seems that adrenaline has a bad history with msi afterburner, since 2018 you can see report of crashes, freezes and bugged overclocks, some problems appear to be fixed but not all so I guess you could install Riva Turner Statics Server without MSI Afterburner and use it with HWiNFO64 instead but you are going to start from zero whatever configuration you may have

Bummer for me too since I'm about to change to AMD after lifelong of Nvidia GPUs

55 minutes ago, ineedt0Pee said:

Hi guys, first time user for AMD GPU.

I came from RTX 3070, so I'm used to using afterburner for both overclocking and in-game RTSS overlay.

Since I bought the 7900xtx, I heard that adrenaline is better for overclock and undervolt amd GPU, so I tried using it for tuning, and kept the afterburner for in-game overlay. 

However, I noticed so weird behavior for using both app in the same time, even though I set everything to default on afterburner, and just set tuning with adrenaline. The fan curve is bugged, and weird crashing happening.

My question is:

Will afterburner conflict with adrenaline and fight to reset my gpu tuning? Can I use both app at the same time, or better yet, disable the afterburner functions about tuning and fan curve control?

Ps. I know adrenaline also has in-game overlay, but since I can't seem to find a way to customize the overlay content, it won't do for me.

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat, having a new 7900XTX to replace my 3080

Both seems to be compatible, at least Afterburner  overlay work, but with the 7900s it doesn't show much data, you can't even see the power consumption, so I switched to Adrenalin, but this one has way less CPU data available...

I didn't touch GPU tuning in Afterburner tho, did that in Adrenalin (which is a very nice software compared to NVidia crap), only used OSD

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

I'm in the same boat, having a new 7900XTX to replace my 3080

Both seems to be compatible, at least Afterburner  overlay work, but with the 7900s it doesn't show much data, you can't even see the power consumption, so I switched to Adrenalin, but this one has way less CPU data available...

I didn't touch GPU tuning in Afterburner tho, did that in Adrenalin (which is a very nice software compared to NVidia crap), only used OSD

Did you notice any weird behavior when two programs running at the same time? And did you know how to edit the adrenaline overlay?

CPU i7-9700k / Motherboard z390 Aorus Elite / RAM 32GB 3200CL16 / GPU ASUS TUF OC Radeon RX 7900XTX / Case Bequiet PureBase 500DX / Storage 500G SATA SSD(OS) / 2TB Gen3 SSD/ 2TB Gen4 SSD / PSU Seasonic Focus GX-1000 / Display(s) ACER XB271HU / Cooling Corsair 240mm AIO

2 hours ago, Jenko32 said:

I searched in amd community forum and it seems that adrenaline has a bad history with msi afterburner, since 2018 you can see report of crashes, freezes and bugged overclocks, some problems appear to be fixed but not all so I guess you could install Riva Turner Statics Server without MSI Afterburner and use it with HWiNFO64 instead but you are going to start from zero whatever configuration you may have

Bummer for me too since I'm about to change to AMD after lifelong of Nvidia GPUs

Same here, AMD water is new and deep to me.
RTSS with HWinfo cant display fps, frametime, 1% low fps, etc. No good for me I'm afraid...

27 minutes ago, ineedt0Pee said:

Did you notice any weird behavior when two programs running at the same time? And did you know how to edit the adrenaline overlay?

I didn't notice any weird behaviour but gave up on afterburner when I saw I couldn't get GPU power data.

Adrenaline overlay can be adjusted in the metrics tab but there's not a ton of options...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

I didn't notice any weird behaviour but gave up on afterburner when I saw I couldn't get GPU power data.

Adrenaline overlay can be adjusted in the metrics tab but there's not a ton of options...

I added GPU power draw with HWiNFO to MSI Afterburner, I don't remember how I did that though. What does adrenaline overlay actually misses that Afterburner has? I'm about to make the change

25 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

I added GPU power draw with HWiNFO to MSI Afterburner, I don't remember how I did that though. What does adrenaline overlay actually misses that Afterburner has? I'm about to make the change

With my 7900XTX Power draw wasn't in the list of selectable OSD fields... seems an issue with new AMD cards as the (Russian) developer of Afterburner isn't paid since 1 year 😞 

11 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Yes but it's not ideal. As said above hwinfo would be better, I did that when I swapped my case to monitor temps and had no crashes, it was running for like an hour on RDR2 and then I closed it, I find overlays distracting.

Oh, by the way, adrenalin is.... bugged as fuck. That's the only way to describe it. So expect random crashes where you're tuning something and the program simply disappears, some driver timeouts (can be fixed by altering the tdrdelay value), profiles simply not working or reverting to default.... and so on, I use AMD so I know the pain, had to undervolt as well so I MUST have it installed and deal with it, but the less you tinker with the settings the better, if you can set a profile you like and leave it alone just do that.

My Adrenalin settings didn't reapply at boot, I followed some vid to change access rights on an AMD dll, since then it's working...

Did tinker a bit with it and it works fine until now, I'm able to change GPU/VRAM clocks, fan speed and power draw while gaming

May be buggy but it is 500% more friendly and easy to use than the NVidia crap (NV settings+ GeForce Experience  + Afterburner), mae me realize hw NVidia is lazy not doing anything decent since ages