All AMD gaming laptops? -- need a new travel companion

Want a 7800x3d mobile [shown super power efficient, perfect mobile chip if under-clocked no?]
and a power efficient 7600 card [after that memory sharing]
96wh battery.
17 inch, decent cooling.
Pricing under 3k preferred.

You wont find it. X3D chips are not going to be on laptops for a while, nor are they really cost viable for them probably for another while. As far as i can see, youll have to wait for Clevo to make a desktop in a laptop chassis, and a 7800x3D version is NOT going to be under 3k$ more then likely.

No its not a perfect mobile chip because of the heat, it only draws 85-110w but its a bit harder to cool due to the design so in a laptop its not going to be simple.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:58 PM, Shimejii said:

You wont find it. X3D chips are not going to be on laptops for a while, nor are they really cost viable for them probably for another while. As far as i can see, youll have to wait for Clevo to make a desktop in a laptop chassis, and a 7800x3D version is NOT going to be under 3k$ more then likely.

No its not a perfect mobile chip because of the heat, it only draws 85-110w but its a bit harder to cool due to the design so in a laptop its not going to be simple.

Heat is exponential, a 50% clock reduction will remove the heating issues and greatly reduce demand to ~40w, totally viable on a mobile platform.

400$ chip, 400$ card... even with the laptop tax it shouldn't be over 3k unless you're putting too much weight on making your box a fashion statement.

I don't really follow the industry anymore since getting a cushier job, I just want a travel laptop that has some actual grunt behind it without popping breakers or weighing 25lbs. From what I can gather, those chips are simple, small, overpowered, and easy to mass produce. Won't be long before we see them everywhere. Makes sense to me to see them go all in with that 3d cache tech.

28 minutes ago, a9249 said:

Heat is exponential, a 50% clock reduction will remove the heating issues and greatly reduce demand to ~40w, totally viable on a mobile platform.

400$ chip, 400$ card... even with the laptop tax it shouldn't be over 3k unless you're putting too much weight on making your box a fashion statement.

I don't really follow the industry anymore since getting a cushier job, I just want a travel laptop that has some actual grunt behind it without popping breakers or weighing 25lbs. From what I can gather, those chips are simple, small, overpowered, and easy to mass produce. Won't be long before we see them everywhere. Makes sense to me to see them go all in with that 3d cache tech.

Laptop Tax will fuck you every time. Its gonna be that much minimum. The 4080 Laptop (they called it 4090) start out price was 4500, which was quickly cut to around 3500 and has stayed there. 

Heat and performance doesnt exactly work like that, but i understand what you are trying to say, but no that does not work well when just done like that, It also removes much of the point of a x3D Chip when you reduce it by that much, the gains are already hit or miss in some games, when you cut it down like that performance wise for clock and thermal management for a laptop its gonna be even more minimal gains to the point where they wont bother.

Remember laptop CPUS generally are a completely different thing from desktop CPUs. Everything about them is different, where the only thing they share with the desktop is the processes node and generally the architecture itself, but its different enough to where they arent that comparable. Its gotten a LOT closer in the past 4 years for desktop to laptop performance, but its still extremely expensive.