EKWB OR CORSAIR????

Hi, Im new to building and I want to build my first computer, and I want to custom loop it.

The 2 brands im familiar with is EKWB and Corsair.

Can I use corsair tubes with EKWB fittings?

I also don't know what fittings to get. I don't want to use softline. I want it to be challenging for myself since its my first build. 

here is my pc list- 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Bxy6r

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($416.87 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($253.92 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($162.05 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1333.96 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($10.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2302.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-16 16:31 EDT-0400
In the pictures below are things I have in my cart

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.33.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.33.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.32.13 PM.png

13 minutes ago, COOLmonke14 said:

Hi, Im new to building and I want to build my first computer, and I want to custom loop it.

I also don't know what fittings to get. I don't want to use softline. I want it to be challenging for myself since its my first build. 

here is my pc list- 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Bxy6r

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($416.87 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($253.92 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($162.05 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1333.96 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($10.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2302.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-16 16:31 EDT-0400
In the pictures below are things I have in my cart

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.33.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.33.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 4.32.13 PM.png

You say you want soft tubing but have hard tubing stuff in your cart ?? 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, COOLmonke14 said:

Just a suggestion, don't. Custom loops are building a computer on hard mode, you really don't want to do this for your first system, especially hardline like your shopping list suggests. I get you want it to be a challenge, but as someone that has done custom loops for years it's always a challenge and not really worth it for your first system. The amount of money you're spending on the loop should be spent on getting a better system, faster RAM, a 4090 instead, 13900K, etc. 

7 minutes ago, COOLmonke14 said:

Yeah, you can use any brand with any other brand as long as they're the same size. My current rig has EK res and tubing, Bitspower fitting, Bykski GPU block, Heatkiller CPU block, XSPC radiator, and a different unbranded radiator I got on Craigslist almost 7 years ago. They all work fine, the only thing you have to double check is how the blocks/radiators are threaded (almost everything is G1/4, but there is occasionally something that isn't and needs special fittings) and that the fittings are the same dimensions as the tubing. The are a bunch of other brands out there, most of which are a better value than EK and Corsair. Some are the aforementioned brands in my current loop, Barrow, Alphacool, Hardware Labs, Koolance, and some others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head. All of them have some quality products, some areas one is the clear winner (EK does tend to have the best GPU blocks in my experience, though Alphacool is usually up there as well) and some it doesn't really matter (every CPU block in the past ~10 years performs about the same). 

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

17 minutes ago, COOLmonke14 said:

I don't want to use softline.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Under no circumstance should you ever build a custom loop as your first PC. Not only do you blow out the cost of the PC and you lose out on performance on hardware, its just not a good experience. For all that Water-cooling gear, you can get a 4090 which is a pretty big jump in performance over the 4080, that should be your priority over water cooling.

You do not need to liquid cool your 4080/4090, the coolers on them are more then enough. If you need a Liquid cooled card, get one that is predone as that saves you time and potentially money, but they usually are a premium price. The only thing i can see watercooling being  needed is if you are in a tiny case, but again small form factor is not good to do for your first build either.

Generally a Good quality AIO is all you need for your CPU, 360mm or 420mm, find one from either Corsair, LianLi, Deepcool, or Arctic that you like the looks of (i generally go with Arctic or deepcool) and it will perform almost identically to a custom loop and is WAY easier.

2 hours ago, brob said:

Oops sorry my bad, I misread, usually ppl tells what they want not what they don't 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

23 hours ago, PDifolco said:

22 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Under no circumstance should you ever build a custom loop as your first PC. Not only do you blow out the cost of the PC and you lose out on performance on hardware, its just not a good experience. For all that Water-cooling gear, you can get a 4090 which is a pretty big jump in performance over the 4080, that should be your priority over water cooling.

You do not need to liquid cool your 4080/4090, the coolers on them are more then enough. If you need a Liquid cooled card, get one that is predone as that saves you time and potentially money, but they usually are a premium price. The only thing i can see watercooling being  needed is if you are in a tiny case, but again small form factor is not good to do for your first build either.

Generally a Good quality AIO is all you need for your CPU, 360mm or 420mm, find one from either Corsair, LianLi, Deepcool, or Arctic that you like the looks of (i generally go with Arctic or deepcool) and it will perform almost identically to a custom loop and is WAY easier.

Doesn't the 4090 have issues with cables or something ?

23 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Just a suggestion, don't. Custom loops are building a computer on hard mode, you really don't want to do this for your first system, especially hardline like your shopping list suggests. I get you want it to be a challenge, but as someone that has done custom loops for years it's always a challenge and not really worth it for your first system. The amount of money you're spending on the loop should be spent on getting a better system, faster RAM, a 4090 instead, 13900K, etc. 

Yeah, you can use any brand with any other brand as long as they're the same size. My current rig has EK res and tubing, Bitspower fitting, Bykski GPU block, Heatkiller CPU block, XSPC radiator, and a different unbranded radiator I got on Craigslist almost 7 years ago. They all work fine, the only thing you have to double check is how the blocks/radiators are threaded (almost everything is G1/4, but there is occasionally something that isn't and needs special fittings) and that the fittings are the same dimensions as the tubing. The are a bunch of other brands out there, most of which are a better value than EK and Corsair. Some are the aforementioned brands in my current loop, Barrow, Alphacool, Hardware Labs, Koolance, and some others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head. All of them have some quality products, some areas one is the clear winner (EK does tend to have the best GPU blocks in my experience, though Alphacool is usually up there as well) and some it doesn't really matter (every CPU block in the past ~10 years performs about the same). 

It looks pretty simple though

1 minute ago, COOLmonke14 said:

Doesn't the 4090 have issues with cables or something ?

The same cable exists on the 4080. It's been mostly debunked, it's user error, though it's very easy to not plug in all the way and it then burn. 

It looks pretty simple though

It's not. I've done custom loops for years, it still takes me 4-6 hours to do a simple soft tubing loop, let alone a hard line setup. This is PC building on hard mode, you really don't want to do it for your first build. Stick to air and AIOs for the first time, then consider going custom loop for your 2nd or 3rd. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The same cable exists on the 4080. It's been mostly debunked, it's user error, though it's very easy to not plug in all the way and it then burn. 

It's not. I've done custom loops for years, it still takes me 4-6 hours to do a simple soft tubing loop, let alone a hard line setup. This is PC building on hard mode, you really don't want to do it for your first build. Stick to air and AIOs for the first time, then consider going custom loop for your 2nd or 3rd. 

Can I use the 12v cable that comes with the psu instead of the adapter Nvidia gives you?

Just now, COOLmonke14 said:

Can I use the 12v cable that comes with the psu instead of the adapter Nvidia gives you?

Yeah you can use that. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Agreed, there's no downside to making a soft tube setup and then switching to hard tubing later, keeping all the other parts

24 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah you can use that. 

should I also get 13900k?

should I also get 13900k?

If you're going through the effort of doing a custom loop, you should already have a near top of the line system anyway. If you're not doing it with a 7800X3D, 7950X(3D), or 13900K(S) and a 7900 XTX or 4090 for the GPU you're not budgeting for your system correctly. 

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're going through the effort of doing a custom loop, you should already have a near top of the line system anyway. If you're not doing it with a 7800X3D, 7950X(3D), or 13900K(S) and a 7900 XTX or 4090 for the GPU you're not budgeting for your system correctly. 

What should I get then?

5 minutes ago, COOLmonke14 said:

What should I get then?

Not get a custom loop and stick to a 13700K. 

This is just a disaster and pain in the @$$ waiting to happen.

• First time PC builder
  • Going HARD LINE tubing

Best to start with air-cooling first.

Once you get the hang of just BUILDING a PC, THEN decide to move custom loop water cooling.

My suggestion would be to go in steps:

Air-cooling --> Soft-tube --> Hard-tube

Going from soft-tubing to hard-tubing, you basically re-use everything, other than the tubing and fittings.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

This is just a disaster and pain in the @$$ waiting to happen.

• First time PC builder
  • Going HARD LINE tubing

Best to start with air-cooling first.

Once you get the hang of just BUILDING a PC, THEN decide to move custom loop water cooling.

My suggestion would be to go in steps:

Air-cooling --> Soft-tube --> Hard-tube

Going from soft-tubing to hard-tubing, you basically re-use everything, other than the tubing and fittings.

Can I do AIO?

10 minutes ago, COOLmonke14 said:

Can I do AIO?

AIO --> soft-tubing --> hard-tubing?

Yes.

FYI, you cannot replace the soft-tubing step with AIO...because with AIO cooling you don't have to do any of the water-cooling work.

It's literally just mount the radiator to the case, mount the CPU block to the CPU, connector your wires.

None of the...

• Prepping the CPU / GPU blocks
  • Mounting and prepping the reservoir + pump
  • Doing all the fittings
  • Doing the plumbing (tubing, etc)
  • Filling + leak testing the water-cooling loop
  • Maintaining the loop every 6-months ~ 1-year
  • What to do if a leak happens or something doesn't go as planned

... skills / knowledge are developed.

Even building a soft-tubing loop, you want a solid 4 ~ 6 hours, especially first-time, basically an entire afternoon, to build it, etc.

And then fill the loop and check for leaks, purge all the air out of the loop --  I usually let it run overnight.

For hard-tubing, it could take a couple DAYS, depend in how complicated.

Even for experienced builders.

If the hardware is bad (i.e. faulty motherboard), then you'll have to take it all apart...

Also, using the water-cooling / AIO step to test the hardware first is a good idea.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

3 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

AIO --> soft-tubing --> hard-tubing?

Yes.

FYI, you cannot replace the soft-tubing step with AIO...because with AIO cooling you don't have to do any of the water-cooling work.

It's literally just mount the radiator to the case, mount the CPU block to the CPU, connector your wires.

None of the...

• Prepping the CPU / GPU blocks
  • Mounting and prepping the reservoir + pump
  • Doing all the fittings
  • Doing the plumbing (tubing, etc)
  • Filling + leak testing the water-cooling loop
  • Maintaining the loop every 6-months ~ 1-year
  • What to do if a leak happens or something doesn't go as planned

... skills / knowledge are developed.

How do I orientate it

How do I orientate it

AIO?

Either mount the radiator to the front of the case, or the top.

If front of the case: make sure the fans are sucking air in from the front, and blowing into the case

If top of the case: make sure the fans are sucking air from inside of the case, and blowing out the top

Generally (regardless of air-cooling, AIO, or water-cooling).

• Front: Intake
  • Bottom: Intake
  • Side (if your case supports it):  Intake
  • Top: Exhaust
  • Rear: Exhaust

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

15 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

AIO?

Either mount the radiator to the front of the case, or the top.

If front of the case: make sure the fans are sucking air in from the front, and blowing into the case

If top of the case: make sure the fans are sucking air from inside of the case, and blowing out the top

Generally (regardless of air-cooling, AIO, or water-cooling).

• Front: Intake
  • Bottom: Intake
  • Side (if your case supports it):  Intake
  • Top: Exhaust
  • Rear: Exhaust

so do I get 360mm aio for i7-13700k? And do I pair a rtx 4080 or 4090?

There are a couple of AIO that are designed to extend into a custom loop. Alphacool Eisbaer is one that comes to mind. No idea how good it is.

10 hours ago, brob said:

There are a couple of AIO that are designed to extend into a custom loop. Alphacool Eisbaer is one that comes to mind. No idea how good it is.

wouldn't that be more expensive?

1 hour ago, COOLmonke14 said:

wouldn't that be more expensive?

Yes. But it allows you to start with an AIO, as has been suggested. When you are ready to try a custom loop you already have a pump, radiator, and CPU block.