DIY NAS Server with VM support

Hi, my friend is giving me a PC with some 2gen AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, Dell AMD Radeon HD 7770 (2gb vram),8gb RAM and a big tower case and I was thinking about putting it in my work room and use it to replace my crappy WD NAS box.

With all of this, I was thinking about using it as a NAS and maybe for running a Windows 10 (modded Lite iso) or Arch Linux VM on that system.

I also have a Dell OEM AMD Radeon Pro WX5100 8gb laying around that I could use it for the VM and I have 4x 4tb NAS HDD's (unused) that I could use here.

As far as I seen, I could throw out the DVD drive and get 5 free SATA slots for the NAS HDD's and my SanDisk 120gb SSD.

What are my options here in terms of the OS, where I don't need to pay for licenses?

Would it be worth it replacing the 2x4gb HP RAM modules for something from more reputable brands like Corsair, Crucial or G.Skill?

Before anyone asks, my work room is connected to solar panels on top of my shed and this is why I don't care about power consumption 😉

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Truenas scale, proxmox, windows 10/server would all meet your needs

The HP ram is fine, and likely made with very simmilar dram chips to the name brand ones. I don't think its any lower quality

Alright, I was concerned about this ram config since it's quite generic tbh. 

I'll most likely go with the TrueNAS. It seems quite easy to use and as far as I seen, it has all the features that I need.

When it comes to the Windows VM, I only need it for five software tools, which I can't run on any of my GNU/Linux powered devices.

The only thing that runs Windows as the host OS, is actually my old MSI laptop with Win7, maxed out 2gb RAM, which is enough for burning CD's and ripping cassette tapes but not enough to run Windows 10 and tools that require at least 4gb of RAM 😅

Unraid is easier to set up (depends on what you are going to do) but do cost money, than freenas.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, WhiteAirLock said:

Alright, I was concerned about this ram config since it's quite generic tbh. 

I'll most likely go with the TrueNAS. It seems quite easy to use and as far as I seen, it has all the features that I need.

When it comes to the Windows VM, I only need it for five software tools, which I can't run on any of my GNU/Linux powered devices.

The only thing that runs Windows as the host OS, is actually my old MSI laptop with Win7, maxed out 2gb RAM, which is enough for burning CD's and ripping cassette tapes but not enough to run Windows 10 and tools that require at least 4gb of RAM 😅

If the RAM works, it works. You can test it with memtest if you have concerns or question it’s stability. 

Remember with ZFS (what truenas used as it’s file system), it’s difficult to add more space later. You may want to consider unraid if you would want to add more drives in the future. 

I ran a Windows 10 LTSC VM on 2 GB of ram for years. All it was doing was backups of my other VM’s using Veeam, but it ran just fine. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air