How do I make Apple Studio Display play nice with Win/Linux and MacBook Pro + TS4 dock?

lcnightmare

Hi, I'm having a noob moment and can't quite figure out how to proceed in this scenario:

I use an M1 Macbook Pro with a Caldigit TS4 dock with Apple Studio Display as my daily driver. I'd like to dust out my older 3900X + 6800XT + ASUS B550M-PLUS WIFI system now that WSL2 has gotten good enough. I use cable matters DisplayPort -> Thunderbolt cable when using the AMD system with Studio Display. The issue is that, currently I'm having to switch peripherals between the two systems each time I want to switch, which is quite cumbersome. Naturally, I need a KVM. How do I set everything up so that I can easily switch between the two systems with least amount of new purchases? In the future, I will also add another 1440p high refresh monitor to the mix, so hopefully whatever set up we come up with now can easily support that.

Thanks!

Hard mode: If I wanted to have the webcam and speakers on the Apple Display working with Windows, I'd need to system with thunderbolt support. In that case, would I buy a new graphucs card with thunderbolt port or would I buy a new motherboard with thunderbolt port/header? With a motherboard with thunderbolt port powering everything including the display, will it be using the Graphics card? That might be a noob question but I can't figure out the answer at all!

• 2 weeks later...

All you have to do is add a dual DisplayPort sharing KVM switch for 2 systems. 

Put the CalDigit TS4 between the M1 MBP and the dual DP KVM switch 

And your PC has dual DP outputs from its GPU to the dual DP KVM switch. 

And all the sharing monitors, keyboard, mouse, and other USB sharing devices can be plugged to the sharing console side of the KVM switch.  

Cable connection mapping will looks like :

M1 MBP -> TB4 cable -> CalDigit TB4 dock -> Type-C-to-DP active cable(s) + USB A-B cable -> the dual DP KVM switch,

PC with GPU -> DP-DP1.4 cable(s) + USB A-B cable->  the dual DP KVM switch.

KVM switch To monitor(s):

KVM DP video port 1 =--> Bi-direction type-C-to-DP1.4 active converting cable  - > Apple Display with type-c connection, 

KVM DP video port 2 -> DP-to-DP1.4 cable -> the second monitor with Displayport video input port. 

All other sharing devices will be plugged into the console connections on the dual DP 1.4 KVM switch:

keyboard, mouse, speaker, microphone, USB webcam, USB DAC... or even an additional extra USB 3.0 hub.