PS5 vs Xbox X vs Switch for couples living room?

Ergroilnin

PS5 vs Xbox X vs Switch  

13 members have voted

1. 1. PS5 vs Xbox X vs Switch

• PS5
    • Xbox X
    • Switch

Hello guys so I am looking forward some tips and opinions. My GF wants to buy a gaming console for out living room (she isn't a big gamer though) and wants me to decide which one she will buy but to be honest I am pretty lost about which one would be best to get.

It has been many years since I've had any console at all. I used to be big on playstation, loving a lot of the JRPG exclusives, but most of them are now on PC too so it's not that big of a deal. Last tv console I had was PS2 though and for handheld I had PS Vita few years ago.

Since I am mostly playing on PC anyway I just want her to get the console which would be best to have fun for both of us as a couple but that's where it gets confusing for me. I've read a lot of articles on the web already but that only confused me more TBH.

We both are not big on shooting/racing/brawler games so that's a lot of usually adviced games out for us.

As far as I can tell from what I've already read it should be basically like this?

PS5 - strongest console, lots of good exclusives, some story couple games, ps plus

Xbox X - crossplatform saves with games on PC, mostly shooting/racing/brawler games though, gamepass

Switch - weakest of them all, a lot of games for couples though, motion controllers, only 1080p output, no "free" games subscription, option to take it as handheld anywhere

We have 65" 4k 60hz OLED LG TV and 4k blu player already (so the type of disc drive of the console is not really important).

I was mostly thinking about telling her to just get us the Switch for the coupley games and so that she doesn't spend that much money but with it being old and weak console I am not sure if PS5 wouldn't be better in the end. Xbox seems like the worst option I guess?

Then there is also the thing that I started to think about possibly buying PS VR2 if she bought the PS5, which might be lots of fun too especially for non gamers? Not to mention I'd love to be able to play Beat Saber at home and IIRC it is coming to the VR2 in the future.

So there you have it, I cannot decide and would love some more tips and opinions.

Thanks guys.

I will take your points and give you my opinion on them

PS5 - strongest console, lots of good exclusives, some story couple games, ps plus

-> ps5 got a big library as you can play ps4 games on it. Exclusives are plentiful but almost none of the exclusives are for couple. Couch co-op isn't its forte but since it has the biggest library you should find enough of thems if you arn't playing it everyday. the most expensive plateform as the subscription cost a lot and doesn't give you much in couch co-op games.

Xbox X - crossplatform saves with games on PC, mostly shooting/racing/brawler games though, gamepass

-> i would rather recommend you to get the serie S as for casual play it is enough. Arguably the cheapest platform right now with gamepass but also arguably the smallest amount of modern games (I say modern because you could play xbox 360 games but as much as ppl would say otherwise, casual player don't really like old looking games). Couch co-op isn't its forte too but a good amount of them are here tho you might find yourself missing out on some of ppl recommendation since it doesn't get every indies games that are the ones made for couch co-op.

Switch - weakest of them all, a lot of games for couples though, motion controllers, only 1080p output, no "free" games subscription, option to take it as handheld anywhere

-> my recommendation, as you said it has the biggest amount of couch co-op games and it is also the home of most indies. You shouldn't worry about the fact it is "weak" in power or its 1080p output, it is enough for most couples games as they arn't really graphics intensive.

As a pc gamer I got the switch since most xbox games are on pc already and playstation games are coming slowly to it.

Almost no couch co-op are exclusives to either xbox or playstation but lots of thems can only be found on the switch. Also you can play the switch away from home so that's a plus if you go out.

For vr the meta quest is enough, casual might play it only one time then never play it again and the psvr cost too much for that.

I suggest you fire up the PC and select a bunch of games different genres and let her try them.

My wife likes puzzle games but always wants me to play games like Grounded - Kena - Bridge of Spirits etc so she can watch.

you really need to isolate what she will enjoy then decide on a purchase. 

In my opinion PS5 has best exclusives, and arguably the best collection of one player narrative driven games. 

Xbox trumps in multiplayer games and gamepass is great value. But the xbox adds no real value, if you already have a gaming PC. For me at least.. Thats the reason I went the PS5 way.
I do own a switch, but can't seem find anything to play on it that interests me. Again, highly subjective.

Or maybe hook up a budget gaming pc to your tv?

So my suggestion:

1. Ps5

2. Xbox Series S
3. Xbox Series X

4. Switch 

Wildcard: PC

9 hours ago, Count Lustig said:

Or maybe hook up a budget gaming pc to your tv?

Wildcard: PC

x2. My wife and I play a wide variety of video games. We use PC. We play in the living room, as it's comfortable, can use controllers. My PC is in my office, and I use a SteamLink to accomplish this. There's ton's of Co-op games and party style games on Steam that can be picked up on sale cheap too ($5 or less many times).

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 12:56 AM, Ergroilnin said:

We both are not big on shooting/racing/brawler games so that's a lot of usually adviced games out for us.

PS5 - strongest console,

Performance wise the PS5 is weaker than the Series X.

As to your question, can you provide a few games that you would play together?