Why Nvidia has your blessing?

You're right, it is their 780 Ti.

They said it's the reason why the Kingpin doesn't appear all that spectacular in their graphs compared to their golden 780 Ti. In reality, the Kingpin is an epically binned 780 Ti and Linus' card is a  golden reference card

Yeah that's one of the videos they mention it, the other one is the Gigabyte 780 ti, found it now. Man for a reference card Nvidia did well... very well.

So far I've come into contact with 3 Nvidia cards and one Radeon card.

1. A 8400 GS in a PC at my Dad's office. Every time I go to his office I have to use that computer. Complete garbage. Lags on Win 7. Might as well use the i5-650 integrated graphics. 

2. The GT 640 OEM DDR5 in my PC. I had no choice, Dell put this in my PC. 

3. A (Gigabyte? Asus? EVGA?) GTX 650 Ti in my friend's computer that died after a few months. Not much better than my GT 640.

4. A HD 5770 that is still going strong in my Dad's computer but busted his 300W no-name PSU (it was advised and built by Memory Express, the reason why I will never buy from that junk POS place).

Nvidia had my blessing back when the GTX 660 was released; not so much anymore because Nvidia's got a big gaping hole in their lineup right where $190-200 GPUs are. The GTX 660 is weak and doesn't hold much OC potential, hence why no one will buy it atm, and even though the 270X is a rebrand, it's still got more potential and it's sitting where the 7950 used to be in performance for just $10 more than most GTX 660s. The R9 270 is a nice addition and so far it's faring pretty well against the GTX 660. Hell, even the R7 265 can compete successfully against the GTX 660.

I'm guessing that Nvidia had expected the 270X to be priced higher and had no idea that the 270 and 265 would deliver such a blow. The GTX 750 Ti is probably going to be a more proof-of-concept product; when the rest of the Maxwell lineup comes out I'm expecting Nvidia to pile on bus width and SMs to negate the energy efficiency and performance deficit of the 750 Ti. 

-snip-

Maybe when the 860 is released the 760 will sit on that price range, and the 760 is a decent card for 1080p. But I do think in my opinion that AMD is the way to go for a budget like that, they definitely have some good cards.

To those currently using Nvidia cards, why Nvidia? 

Is it because is the name that we're used to read on forums? 

Bad experience using an AMD card?

Currently using Nvidia but you actually alternate between brands?

If you have used Nvidia but now you use an AMD card, explain why, if there's a reason(apart from the prices).

*Not a debate of Nvidia vs AMD, I'm looking for reasoning of why exactly you use or stopped using Nvidia.

Why Nvidia? Cus Litecoin mining destroyed the R9 price savings when I was looking to buy.

Forums? Nah. I remember when Nvidia sucked and 3DFX was king and ATI was a cad card maker not owned by AMD. I think fanboys of both brands are imbeciles. Without both we would be screwed as far as price and innovation. You should cheer for both companies.

Bad experience on AMD? Driver problem on Kotor many moons ago. I was mad. I got over it. AMD GPU's on both consoles so I don't see it being an issue anymore. Tombraider more recently had a major driver problem at release on my Nvidia card, so there ya go.

Brands? I will buy whatever is the best bang for the buck as long as it has ok temps/build quality and that is up to the third party vendors. I never buy non aftermarket. Overpriced at release and often badly cooled.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Because EVGA is amazing....

But in all seriousness, I just think they are all around a bit more refined.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I have always bought Nvidia. I sometimes use AMD in PCs for other people, but I consistently encounter driver issues with them.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Why Nvidia? Cus Litecoin mining destroyed the R9 price savings when I was looking to buy.

Forums? Nah. I remember when Nvidia sucked and 3DFX was king and ATI was a cad card maker not owned by AMD. I think fanboys of both brands are imbeciles. Without both we would be screwed as far as price and innovation. You should cheer for both companies.

Bad experience on AMD? Driver problem on Kotor many moons ago. I was mad. I got over it. AMD GPU's on both consoles so I don't see it being an issue anymore. Tombraider more recently had a major driver problem at release on my Nvidia card, so there ya go.

Brands? I will buy whatever is the best bang for the buck as long as it has ok temps/build quality and that is up to the third party vendors. I never buy non aftermarket. Overpriced at release and often badly cooled.

I actually enjoy when an AMD card surpasses an Nvidia card, just to see how Nvidia will react and vice versa. But yeah, I agree, we need both companies, both have good cards. 

I like Nvidia because they offer some really nice features and performance (shadow play, game stream, etc.) and they actually work with Game Devs to make their games not look like shoddy console ports (i.e. Watch Dogs).

But the main reason I chose them over the red team is because my rig is a Hackintosh and AMD OS X support is pretty much non-existant whereas the green team works Out Of The Box.

Apple Pippin 2.0 (Corsair Gaming Hackintosh) :

• Intel Core i5 3570K with CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Push-pull with Corsair AF120 and SP120)
  • 24 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition
  • Intel 330 Series 120 GB SSD (Mac OS X)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD (Windows 7)
  • OWC Mercury Electra 3G 30 GB SSD (Scratch Disk)
  • 1.8 TB of HDD Storage
  • Corsair 600T White case
  • Corsair K60 Keyboard
  • Corsair M65 Mouse
  • Corsair GS800 PSU

Yeah...I changed my mind, I did post in here praising nvidia, but I'm thinking of going back to team red for my next gpu,save $100 and get the same performance. Sorry green fanboys.

lol Don't worry we aren't here to praise Nvidia, but to question why we use it. :)

So, in your case, the reason to go with AMD for now is the saving? Not a bad experience with Nvidia?

My last ATi card was a 9600XT I think.  I loved that card, for it's day it wasn't the powerhouse flagship, but it lasted for years.  Back when I was full AMD and ATi fanboy mode.

When I moved to Uni I took it with me.  After a few years it conked out and I borrowed a friend's X800, a flagship at the time, and he just moved away for a year and left his PC behind.  It was quick, although highly unstable.  From there I bought a Geforce 7950 GX2 which I used for 6-12 months but I sold it on and bought a BFG 8800 GTX 768MB card, from then on I was hooked on the green machine.

Why the switch?  Honestly that was a turning point in hardware for me.  Once Ageia started to show off their Physx cards and Intel had launched their awesome Core 2 Duo's I couldn't see any reason to stay on the red team.  Intel and nVidia stomped them in benchmarks and were quieter and had more special features.  Then nVidia bought Physx.

I've remained with them since as I like their technology, their driver support, the features and the performance, and until very recently they've always had an ace card each time ATi/AMD nudge ahead, and blow them away with it.

But I come from a time so long ago..... when the flagship top of the range card might cost you £400-£450 and that was crazy, CRAZY man, so expensive.  Now my 670 still costs that much to buy second hand :\  At least it had held it's resale value, but who wants to buy a 4GB 670 when a 3GB 780 is cheaper?

-----

Back when the green team was literally green cards, I remember my cousin having a 7950 GX2, with his "hulk" PC... on a side note, now that I'm remembering his PC, boy water cooling is so simple now. 

lol Don't worry we aren't here to praise Nvidia, but to question why we use it. :)

So, in your case, the reason to go with AMD for now is the saving? Not a bad experience with Nvidia?

I haven't had a bad experience with nvidia, just that $100 saving equals an EK full block I can put on the 290. :)

I haven't had a bad experience with nvidia, just that $100 saving equals an EK full block I can put on the 290. :)

Well, that's a good reason ha!  :P

Main reason is better backwards compatability for old games. I buy a lot of stuff on GOG and Nvidias drivers just work much better than AMDs for old 3D accelerated games.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

because sliness is epic. i haven't tried out cf yet but sli is just amazing at the moment. i'm not sure why but i dont really like my gtx670 so i decided to have 2X9800gtx+ instead. its less boring :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'm using an AMD card because the 270x was $80 than the 760.  Sadly, I completely lost the silicon lottery and cannot overclock this thing at all.  This is enough to completely turn me off from AMD. 

because sliness is epic. i haven't tried out cf yet but sli is just amazing at the moment. i'm not sure why but i dont really like my gtx670 so i decided to have 2X9800gtx+ instead. its less boring :P

2 cards always look better than one in my opinion so yeah haha

I'm using an AMD card because the 270x was $80 than the 760.  Sadly, I completely lost the silicon lottery and cannot overclock this thing at all.  This is enough to completely turn me off from AMD. 

But... the same could happen with an Nvidia card, don't worry about it, it doesn't mean the card is bad. Is it working like you expected? in games.

I used to belong to the Green team...what an awful mistake that was...

To the people saying that nVidia is really honest...and that's why you like them...please commit yourselves to the local insane asylum, the mental health screening system has clearly failed.

I used to belong to the Green team...what an awful mistake that was...

To the people saying that nVidia is really honest...and that's why you like them...please commit yourselves to the local insane asylum, the mental health screening system has clearly failed.

Haha Nvidia, honest? I think not, I'm with you there, most of the companies are like that thou. What was your mistake? we're all here to share, you won't get criticized for your choice of cards. :)  

@One Who Craves Souls
I'm currently using 2 580 in Sli, they've never failed me, they're starting to show it's age on gaming thou, that's why I'm waiting for Maxwell. So for me is reliability mostly. I switched from brand to brand before that, but it depends on AMD's offering too, you could try a "cheap" AMD card if you want to at least have the experience yourself. 

Sad to know that, but to be fair like he said it could happen with a Nvidia card too. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

@One Who Craves Souls

I'm currently using 2 580 in Sli, they've never failed me, they're starting to show it's age on gaming thou, that's why I'm waiting for Maxwell. So for me is reliability mostly. I switched from brand to brand before that, but it depends on AMD's offering too, you could try a "cheap" AMD card if you want to at least have the experience yourself. 

That's what I thought, but I'm not sure because I will be gaming on a 1440p monitor, if I were to buy an AMD card it would be a R9 290x non-reference. The price is around $550 now. :) Let's see what will happen at the end of June.

That's what I thought, but I'm not sure because I will be gaming on a 1440p monitor, if I were to buy an AMD card it would be a R9 290x non-reference. The price is around $550 now. :) Let's see what will happen at the end of June.

Well, yeah you could do that, my recommendation if I were you I'd just wait till the moment you were to buy a GPU and get the best bang for the buck available.

Well, yeah you could do that, my recommendation if I were you I'd just wait till the moment you were to buy a GPU and get the best bang for the buck available.

That's the plan, there are rumors of a 780ti "killer" for this summer... so, yeah.